Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
AV8
2 Rivet Member

silly ball height question.

In the Airstream weight and ball height document, it lists the height of the ball as 19” for a 1969 overlander. I assume this measurement is from the ground to the top of the ball? Also the prospective seller says the ball is 2 5/16” does this sound right?
AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
sounds correct on both counts.

however, be prepared for a lower hitch setup because of different tires. bias vs. radials, and drooping of the trailer suspention after 30 odd years.

you may want to have enough holes in your drawbar to drop a couple of inches from 19.

the only real way to be sure is to level the trailer and measure it. then set your ball height to allow for one inch of drop when you hook up.

john
Old 11-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
AV8,
That is what mine was supposed to be I ended up having to lower the ball on my truck by about 1" to make the WDH line up correctly. But once you have it set up, unless you make major changes to tires, suspension or tow vehicle you will be set to go. The ball is should be the 2-5/16" make sure you get the right one. There are 6000# balls out there, and while they might work for a while....Get the 10,000# one and be safe.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
AV8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for informing this newbie, it is greatly appreciated.

Just to prove my naïveté, what is a weight distributing hitch? It is on the tow vehicle, the trailer or both. From the pictures of the trailer, it looks like my boat trailer, just a ball receiver. The empty weight of the trailer is ~4400 lbs. I don’t think it will be an issue to just pick it up with my stock factory hitch on my 92 Yukon XL (1/2 ton chassis), but before I head out to big sky country, upgrades might be called for? Again any help is appreciated here…
Old 11-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
a pic is worth...

av8

this is a wd hitch....

and yes you will want one!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wd hitch.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3733  
Old 11-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
A WDH allows some of the trailer weight be transfered to the front wheels of your Yukon. It is a good idea to have one along with the anti sway bar.

However; as a minimum you will need a brake controller.

garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #7
AV8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the help again, a picture is indeed…

The whole weight distribution hitch system is “aft” of the standard receiver. No modification to the receiver attached by the “factory” on the truck?

BTW if there is a basic faq or trailer towing for dummies web reference you recommend, I will happily go off and leave you nice folks alone…
Old 11-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
AV8,
We all had to start somewhere! You will see as many opinons on which hitch as there are people on this board I will give you my opinion and which setup I happen to use. I am towing a 31' Sovereign with a loaded weight of around 6300# with a tongue weight of around 650#, these are guestimates until I actually measure them. I use a Prodigy Brake controller. I wish I had bought one sooner. I use the Equalizer WDH hitch. This is a combination weight distributing, sway control hitch. No modifications to the factory reciever/hitch should be required. Here are a couple check out for hitch information: www.reeseprod.com http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ http://www.nosway.com/ The thing I like about the Equalizer is there is only one basic hook up and you have hooked up both the WD and the Sway Control. I have also used Reese and it is a good product. I have never used the Hensley Arrow but a lot of people swear by it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote