Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Should I Cut the Shank?

I purchased an Air Safe on Craig's list. This is a class VI two year old model. I tow a 30' Excella with a newly purchased Ford Excursion. The receiver on the X will not allow the shank of the hitch to go in far enough to be fastened in the last hole. When I put the pin in and fasten to the first hole the shank wobbles. I had this same problem with my Reese. If I was to cut off about an inch of the shank the receiver would fit into the last hole and be snug.
Obviously once I cut it it cannot be undone so I want to be certain I am not creating a bigger problem.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Why not contact Airsafe and get the straight scoop ?
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I purchased an Air Safe on Craig's list. This is a class VI two year old model. I tow a 30' Excella with a newly purchased Ford Excursion. The receiver on the X will not allow the shank of the hitch to go in far enough to be fastened in the last hole. When I put the pin in and fasten to the first hole the shank wobbles. I had this same problem with my Reese. If I was to cut off about an inch of the shank the receiver would fit into the last hole and be snug.
Obviously once I cut it it cannot be undone so I want to be certain I am not creating a bigger problem.
Just an observation:

With every receiver/hitch combination that I can remember dealing with, the shank wobbled when not under load. I would be more concerned with what I may be putting undue stress on when the shank was jammed in to the point of eliminating wobble.

That said, I second what jkcru says.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
If I understand, the receiver won't allow the shank on the Air Safe to slide in far enough. When I ordered mine (new) there was a choice on shank length. It has only one hole for the pin. Wonder if the PO had one with too long a shank and drilled a 2nd hole. I think you will be okay by shortening the shank and hopefully the 2nd hole didn't compromise it's strength. I would contact Air Safe to be sure and have found them to be very responsive.

Camping World sells a special purpose U-bolt intended for this purpose. The bolt part loops over the receiver just forward of the opening reinforcement. Jack up the hitch to take up the slack then fasten the crosspiece against the bottom of the shank and snug up the nuts and the shank won't wobble. If you take your hitch off and on, this can be a pain.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i would contact the manufacturer of the shank. that is the piece than you may be compromising the strength.

i have a friend that used the ubolt anti-wobble thing and wasn't impressed the the durability.

i think i remember some threads on the sloppy fit issue. try doing a google search.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this thread might help:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tle-38599.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I contacted Air Safe and they said not to tow with the pin in the first hole and I can cut the shank with no problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
That's good to know, thanks for telling us what you found out.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Cut it with a band saw if you can, a plasma or a torch may temper it.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

When I got my AirSafe in 2006, it was also a bit long. I took off two or three inches with a cut-off wheel. The hitch continues to perform exactly as advertised, ie, it has provided a great ride and handling improvement when driving over the pot-marked highways from coast-to-coast.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i would contact the manufacturer of the shank. that is the piece than you may be compromising the strength.

i have a friend that used the ubolt anti-wobble thing and wasn't impressed the the durability.

i think i remember some threads on the sloppy fit issue. try doing a google search.
I have a Reese Dual Cam hitch, and HAD a bad case of the "wobblies".

I readjusted my brake-controller so the trailer's brake would grab sooner.

While it didn't completely end the wobble, it's no where near as bad as it was.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I should have added that along with cutting the end off, the welding shop put a 1/8" inch plate on the top of the shank, then ground it down so it fit snug but manageable into the receiver. Now I still have a Little wobble to the sides but the biggest wobble, up and down is gone. Today is the first long trip since getting it fixed so am eager to find out how it works.
One other thing, I found the Airsafe Co. to be less than helpful. True, I bought the hitch used and not from them but it is on my truck and will be asked about. I am certain to say the customer service at the company is lacking. I offered to pay for a manual and still could not get one. I got it from Etrailers. Com who were very helpful.

Tags
air safe, hitch, towing