Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
st louis , Missouri
Smile Shocker Hitch

We have just purchased a Shocker Hitch. Haven't received it yet, but would like to know any info, comments, etc. anyone has on this hitch. It has one Firestone airbag but it's mechanics are different that Air Ride brand.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan and Marty
2wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
_

. , .
'wired....

it doesn't look like this product can be used with any common weight distribution system...

did you check on this issue with the vendor?

while the hitch is rated adequately for your trailer..

the tv receiver is NOT rated for the 900-1000 lbs+ tongue load withOUT w/d gear...

while in principle it appears to have a 'rubber bushing' that helps with w/d, that function looks iffy to me.

and the 'teeter' effect would seem to cause a constantly changing w/d pattern.

let us know how it affects axle load measurements and basic w/d...

can u mount a simple friction arm or 2, for sway reduction?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wired View Post
We have just purchased a Shocker Hitch. Haven't received it yet, but would like to know any info, comments, etc. anyone has on this hitch. It has one Firestone airbag but it's mechanics are different that Air Ride brand.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan and Marty
How did this hitch work out for you? We just bought a 2005 F-350 and I'm wondering if we should have something like this to cushion the ride for our trailer (64 Overlander). I know it's more truck than we need for the size of our trailer, but we'll also be using it for a slide-in truck camper (probably not at the same time as we're towing).

We've been using a Hensley with our Suburban, but I think that will be overkill with the F-350. Will we need sway control or weight distributing at all?

Thanks for your help,

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Shocker -- AirRide hitches have been discussed here at other times. That seems similar. In addition to 2air's question about how it would interact even if you did have WD, previous members who've tried AirRide (now AirSafe?) said the extra length between the TV receiver and trailer hitch resulted in a lot of movement when underway and when WD bars were engaged.

Grant -- You're right on the weight distribution question that you will not be overloading your rear axle, however I certainly would never tow without antisway for anything above the 2-3,000 pound range. Antisway isn't foolproof but it always gives you a better margin of safety than going without. Keep the Hensley.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I have had an AirSafe hitch for three years now and it is still performing exceptionally well. I have never seen or felt any untoward movement cited above.

But we are off topic, since it's not a Shocker Hitch (which, by the name, sounds like it needs a GFI :-)
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
st louis , Missouri
First of all you asked how we liked the Shocker Hitch. The reason I wanted the Shocker was to get a smoother ride and eliminate the w/d bars. The Shocker was capable, the truck was capable but the receiver hitch on the truck was not. We liked the hitch just fine but we did send it back. By the way the vendor was VERY NICE to work with and took back the hitch without a problem. The workmanship of the hitch was very good. The reason we did not keep it was because we have a class 5 hitch on our truck which requires weight distribution, or go to a class 6 hitch which is an unneccesary expense. Manufacturers of 3/4 ton trucks with a tow option come with a class 5 hitch. 2'air alerted us to this situation and he was correct. We also didn't want to get into insurance issues over this. Shocker Hitches can be used with a class 6 hitch and antisway bars. In fact the Shocker Hitch had an antisway mount installed on it.

We think that since you have a Hensley, and know how to use it, why not use it. And so what if it is overkill, bigger is always better.

Dan and Marty
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
_

. , .
good follow up report, thanks for the details.

i wondered how it went, and now we know.

have a great summer and keep the a/c goin!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Mor/Ryde Rubber Leaf System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wired View Post
We think that since you have a Hensley, and know how to use it, why not use it. And so what if it is overkill, bigger is always better.

Dan and Marty
Thanks for the advice. I agree that I should keep the Hensley. Perhaps the Mor/Ryde Rubber Leaf System would be a better way to go for smoothing out the ride.

Anyone using this system?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

This Mor/Ride system is designed for leaf springs. Your Airstream should have torsion bars for the suspension. They are two different things. Or, are you thinking about adding them to the truck?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
This Mor/Ride system is designed for leaf springs. Your Airstream should have torsion bars for the suspension. They are two different things. Or, are you thinking about adding them to the truck?
Yes, for the truck. I've only driven it about 500 miles and I don't mind the way it rides, but most of that was on the New York State Thruway so maybe it would ride rougher on secondary roads. The cost is around $1300 installed by Mor/Ryde at their plant in Elkhart, Indiana.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this as to what difference it made in the ride. The main reason for doing this would be to protect the trailer.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Mor/Ryde Rubber Leaf System

Earlier this week we had a Mor/Ryde Rubber Leaf System installed on our F-350. Haven't pulled the trailer with it yet, but after driving 400 miles on a variety of roads I can confirm that it does smooth the ride.

It's a hard thing to quantify, but I feel like the ride is now comparable to the Suburban 1500 that was our previous tow vehicle. Another way to think of it: before the Mor/Ryde was installed, going over a bump created a greater jolt or vibration from the rear axle than the front, now I feel it less from the rear than the front.

The folks at Mor/Ryde were great to deal with. They have a very nice waiting room with snacks and WiFi, and even provided lunch. My only disappointment was that that truck was about an inch and a quarter higher at the hitch after the installation, and the tailgate had already seemed too high to me. Yesterday I had a local spring shop remove the 4" blocks that go between the springs and the axle replace them with 2" blocks. I kept the 4" blocks and U-bolts in case we need to change them back. The truck is still higher in the rear than in the front, so even with a load I don't think the rear will be too low.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #12

FSJ , British Columbia
Hello new here... I also just purchased a shocker hitch! What I am concerned about is anti-sway protection. My trailer is heavy at 11,000 lbs at full load and 35' bumper to bumper...

My TV is a tank, a one ton diesel crew cab long box with air bags on the rear axles and an after market hitch with 500lbs of payload that goes everywhere.

I have pulled quite a few trailers in the 24' range much heaver than this without anti-sway... in fact no one up here in Canada ever uses it. Thats at work...

My holiday trailer is longer than i pull on regular. I will do what I always do and front load to the max plus a fraction and go easy.

Any thoughts as the shocker like the W/D hitches that i always use provide little or no anti sway but after reading on this forum i am ?????
NorthernBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
st louis , Missouri
By no means are we experts on this but,....we sent the shocker hitch back as our situation required the use of weight distribution.
Look at #2& #6 posts which will explain the reasons for not using it.
If our receiver were heavier we would have loved to use this hitch. The man at Shocker Hitch was nice and worked with us.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #14

FSJ , British Columbia
In my case the receiver is more than adiquite. What I am worried about is this trailer will act like a sail in the wind. How does the shocker or airsafe for that matter perform against sway?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airsafe claims their hitch reduces sway, but I don't see how it would. Except maybe those moments when on a pitching roadway some of the tension on the w.d. bars is released, and friction is therefore lost. The Airsafe would seem to kept the tension and friction on the bars. But the Airsafe itself? They need to explain it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I hope it was a typo in Northernboys post. A hitch with a 500# payload capacity is no where near heavy enough for his trailer. I am also confused about earlier posts in regards to the classV hitch not being heavy enough.
I recently purchased and installed a ClassV hitch. Here are the specs..
Weight Carrying capacity without WD = 15,000#
Tongue weight capacity without WD = 1,500#

Weight Carrying capacity with WD = 16,000#
Tongue weight capacity with WD = 1,600#

These are not typos. I am looking at the spec sheet as I type this.
The ball mount I installed is rated at 6,000# tongue weight. Not 600# but 6,000#. With a max trailer weight of 15,000#.

To my knowledge there are very few what are called "bumper pull" trailers out there that would exceed the above limits. There are certainly no Airstreams.

I don't have an Airsafe hitch, but I do have airbags on the rear axle and am convinced that they make for a smoother and more stable ride on both the trailer and truck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #17

FSJ , British Columbia
Ya sorry I re-read that and it doesn't make very good sense. I have about 500lbs of tools and accessories. The hitch is good to 15,000lbs without bars.

With respect.... My question isn't regarding the weight ratings of the equipment, I was wondering what others who use this hitch do for sway control?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you post a picture of the setup you have? Perhaps some ideas will show up.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote