Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Shocker Hitch

I went into one of our local RV dealers today, looking to purchase a new hitch. Salesman showed me the Shocker Hitch, which is similar to Air Safe receiver hitch. Has anyone on the forum used one of these hitches? The sales person went and got one of the people "from the back" to answer my questions. This person said that he had pulled up to 39' trailers with the Shocker Hitch and had never had any sway, and he said that an equaliing hitch would not be needed at all. I told him that I was pulling a 34' Airstream with a 3/4 ton Duramax, and he told me that weight distribution or sway control wasn't even needed with this hitch and trailer. Hard to believe this, but has anyone got any input with experience with this hitch? Thank you.
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I get the impression that place is not letting facts or the truth get in the way of selling a product. Personally I would shop somewhere else.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I have no experience as a user but noticed one on a truck near my home recently. The owner was a custom trailer shop business owner and used it on his tundra to move heavier trailers and commented that it soothed out the ride immensely. I did a little reading up afterwards and really liked the version that can be fitted in place of a regular coupler. I believe there is a variant that allows use of weight distribution and sway control too.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The Shocker Hitch Shocker Hitch - Air Suspension Trailer Hitches simply smooths out the ride, but does absolutely nothing for weight distribution or sway control.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The Shocker Hitch Shocker Hitch - Air Suspension Trailer Hitches simply smooths out the ride, but does absolutely nothing for weight distribution or sway control.
Steve.

I totally agree.

I think the name "shocker" means thats what their hitch does for bumps.

But for load equalizing and sway control, absolutely nothing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I went into one of our local RV dealers today, looking to purchase a new hitch. Salesman showed me the Shocker Hitch, which is similar to Air Safe receiver hitch. Has anyone on the forum used one of these hitches? The sales person went and got one of the people "from the back" to answer my questions. This person said that he had pulled up to 39' trailers with the Shocker Hitch and had never had any sway, and he said that an equaliing hitch would not be needed at all. I told him that I was pulling a 34' Airstream with a 3/4 ton Duramax, and he told me that weight distribution or sway control wasn't even needed with this hitch and trailer. Hard to believe this, but has anyone got any input with experience with this hitch? Thank you.
I would bet that their price is very cheap.

Also, that product does ZERO for weight distribution and sway control.

If you are in the market for a load equalizing hitch, I would strongly suggest that you stay with brands that have been around for a few decades, and pass on the new stuff.

Safety is the issue, NOT price.

Andy
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The price wasn't cheap, over $500. Have been looking at the equilizer E2, and thinking that the Air Hitch with it would make a real smooth ride. Since I am getting 3 new axles after the break, I thought a new hitch would be a good idea. Have also looked at the Anderson today. Do like the simplicity of it, but after reading "all" of the forum posts about it, I am still on the fence. Guess that I will have to make up my mind, bite the bullet, and get the one I think will be best. Thank you all for the input. I do believe that the guy I talked to this morning about the shocker hitch does believe in the tooth fairy!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You can use a w.d./sway control hitch with the AirSafe, not on this one. His advice not to use w.d./s.c. is evidence he will tell you anything to sell you something.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Have also looked at the Anderson today. Do like the simplicity of it, but after reading "all" of the forum posts about it, I am still on the fence. Guess that I will have to make up my mind, bite the bullet, and get the one I think will be best. Thank you all for the input. I do believe that the guy I talked to this morning about the shocker hitch does believe in the tooth fairy!!!
I have an Andersen, and it works really well on my 17' Casita, but the geometry is simply not there for larger heavier trailers. And then there's the incompatability issue with the coupler used on Airstreams.

If you want a hitch that is simple, and works well for both weight distribution and sway control, take a look at the Reese SC. I'm using one with our 34 and it works well. Like most Reese products, sort of a PITA to get setup right, but after that it works.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
The price wasn't cheap, over $500. Have been looking at the equilizer E2, and thinking that the Air Hitch with it would make a real smooth ride. Since I am getting 3 new axles after the break, I thought a new hitch would be a good idea. Have also looked at the Anderson today. Do like the simplicity of it, but after reading "all" of the forum posts about it, I am still on the fence. Guess that I will have to make up my mind, bite the bullet, and get the one I think will be best. Thank you all for the input. I do believe that the guy I talked to this morning about the shocker hitch does believe in the tooth fairy!!!
I think Air Hitch is just meant to smoothe the ride, not to provide weight distribution or sway control and it sounds like that's the purpose of the Shocker. So what are you looking for?

Re: Andersen - check your Duramax manual. My 2013 has several tables that tell you when you need 0, 50 or 100% front axle load restoration based on tow load, tongue weight, etc. the controversy around the Andersen hitch is (as far as I can tell) its WD limitations (apparently about a couple hundred pounds based on cat tickets from users). For those with smaller tow vehicles and higher tongue weights who might need 400+# returned to the front axle, the Andersen may not be the best choice. Those with 3/4 ton trucks that need only a couple hundred # restored might actually benefit from the Andersen. Users of it say the porpoising effect (that Air Hitch and apparently this Shocker are supposed to solve) is almost completely eliminated and it has a friction based sway control built in.

I am obligated by rules of comedy to say, "get the ProPride" because I did, and if you don't, that invalidates my life choices :-)

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

I have an Andersen, and it works really well on my 17' Casita, but the geometry is simply not there for larger heavier trailers. And then there's the incompatability issue with the coupler used on Airstreams.

If you want a hitch that is simple, and works well for both weight distribution and sway control, take a look at the Reese SC. I'm using one with our 34 and it works well. Like most Reese products, sort of a PITA to get setup right, but after that it works.
That's right - I stand corrected - limited weight distribution and a coupler incompatibility issue for some trailers were the two key concerns. Not insurmountable but something to look in to based on a user's specific setup.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Check out the Reese "dual cam" load equalizing hitch.

It's the least expensive load equalizing hitch that has a sway control, with a brain, because of a change in torsion.

Friction sway controls have no idea which way the trailer is headed.

Andy
Old 09-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was one of the original Anderson users here. I found it to be perfect for my TV/Trailer combination that I had at the time. However when I got my new trailer I did not want to go the route that some have felt forced to take due to comparability issues with the Attwood couplers that Airstream has chosen to use for several years nor did I feel it was the best way to go with my new trailer. I looked closely at the current WD/antisway systems that are on the market. I decided on the Blue Ox Swaypro. After a couple of speed bumps with the dealership that sold and installed the system I contacted the manufacturer and received the correct drop bar for my application. I have less than 500 miles on the system and at this time do not have enough experience to say yea or nay on its ultimate performance. I will say that so far I am pleased with the feel on the road. It has a very solid connected feel, clean, quite and hookup and release is simple enough.

Disclaimer: I do not work for any company or have a financial reason to push any products. Sometimes this site is not the best place to get honest unbiased information. Some have personal or business agendas that may not be evident to new members.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:

I've had no experience the the "Shocker" hitch, however, I have had extensive experience with the "Air Safe" hitch. Neither hitch has anything to do with sway control, you have to have a WD hitch, and sway control in addition to either of these devices.

Personally, I've used both the old and new Reese Dual Cam, (new version is "Straight Line), with my Air Safe. Big difference in the AS ride quality, after installing the Air Safe.
Just my opinion, but from the photos, on the Shocker web site, it dosn't look as well built as the Air Safe.

The Shocker is considerably less money, but, for me at least that puts up an immediate red flag. The old saying, "you either pay now, or you will pay later", may be true...

For whatever it's worth.

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
This boils down to what does the word "NEED" mean. People tow large trailers without weight distribution and sway control all the time especially in farm country. They are the ones who truck rear ends are almost touching the ground and whose truck and trailer are wandering left and right in (and possibly) out of the lane.

Is this safe or smart? I say no, but it is the subject of many threads here on Airforums and all users do not agree. In the end you must educate yourself by reading as much as you can find, and factoring all that with how much of a risk taker you wish to be.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Thank you to everybody for the input. It is now between the Reese and Equilizer E2 hitch, and next trip down to Fargo (home of the Air Hitch) I will drop in to the factory. I like the idea of cushioning the ride on the 34' with the Air Hitch. Would never pull a larger trailer without WD. My 22' Argosy (long gone) was pulled without WD by a 3/4 ton. Have a WD now, that is old and time to replace, that has no sway control. With the 34', I think sway control is a must have. Thanks again!!