Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Sherline

Do you use this scale and are they scales worth the investment? Are they accurate? I don't have any CAT scales in our area.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have one. Don't use it often, but it is a valuable tool, just like most all of my other tools.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I have one and as Rich said, I don't use it often. It can be a little finicky so when using it make sure it perfectly vertical and not in a bind. Works fine though and gives you very useful information. I have used it on my Airstream, my boat, and a friend's trailer.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

^
X3

I use it on the first,(loaded), trip of every Season. So it's not used often, but it is a very useful tool.

.....only an opinion though.

Bob
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Hanover , Pennsylvania
How accurate is it?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Hans
I searched Sherline's website and to my surprise I couldn't find their specification on accuracy any longer. Perhaps I missed it. I am fairly certain that it used to be there. I found an old thread here where I quoted plus or minus 2% as specified by Sherline.

They could have changed it, don't know. I have found no reason to doubt the readings on mine but again it is finicky and you have to be certain that it is not binding in any way. Any lateral load (force) will mess you up.

The accuracy issue is being able to read the scale. The gauge markings are pretty fine and the scale you would need is the 0 to 2000 psi model. But in my opinion that is not a reason not to buy it.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Hans
I searched Sherline's website and to my surprise I couldn't find their specification on accuracy any longer. Perhaps I missed it. I am fairly certain that it used to be there. I found an old thread here where I quoted plus or minus 2% as specified by Sherline.

They could have changed it, don't know. I have found no reason to doubt the readings on mine but again it is finicky and you have to be certain that it is not binding in any way. Any lateral load (force) will mess you up.

The accuracy issue is being able to read the scale. The gauge markings are pretty fine and the scale you would need is the 0 to 2000 psi model. But in my opinion that is not a reason not to buy it.
Just curious why you would suggest the 2000 lb. scale. Would the graduations on a 1000 lb. scale be easier to read?
Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Scale displays like this are more accurate in the middle of the pointer swing. Most Airstream tongue weights in the US are over 750 pounds and quite a few pass 1,000 pounds even with new empty rigs and a just a weight distribution hitch head installed..

We are not selling fish, so one pound accuracy is not really necessary. I carry mine for a quick check for those times the wife decides to load .... (fill in the blank) or rocks like in the Long Long Trailer movie. I can see if there is a tongue weight change that requires adjustment of the weight distribution hitch.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I found this interesting....

Weigh-Safe Trailer Hitches - The Drop Hitch That Saves Lives!

Anyone use it?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It tells you what your tongue weight is before hitching up and applying weight distribution; depending on how far forward or back on the tongue the scales is placed (farther back, heavier reading).

The only way you know how much of this tongue weight you add to the load of your truck after weight distribution is at the truck scales, weighing the truck by itself and then with the trailer hitched and w.d. applied. Some of the Shurline measured tongue weight will be added to the truck axles and some will be added to the trailer axle(s).

So does it accurately tell you how much tongue weight you are adding to the truck's payload? No.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

The 2000...not that hard to read. 50lb scale.

And as mentioned the accuracy is more better in the middle of the dial....

Not needed....I only weigh once at the start of the Season, or if loaded out of normal parameters.

Bob
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
I have one and as Rich said, I don't use it often. It can be a little finicky so when using it make sure it perfectly vertical and not in a bind. Works fine though and gives you very useful information. I have used it on my Airstream, my boat, and a friend's trailer.
Mine used to cock in it's bore somewhat. I looked at it, under pressure and noted that there is very little compression of the shaft onto the body. That is. it doesn't displace much fluid at all to read even 2000#s. There's about 1/2" of available travel and it used only about 1/8". I removed about 1 cc of oil so more of the shaft is in the body bore and it doesn't bind nearly as much now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I bought one over a year ago and still haven't used it. But I've used the bathroom scale method enough times to be tired of that. So a SHERLINE is like a best quality $80 tire air pressure gauge. I want accurate, repeatable results.

I draw the line at some of the expensive RV appliance diagnostic tools, as well as the incredibly expensive TV diagnostic tools.

But tires and their loads are basic to daily operation.

As above, if I suspect the TT loading has changed, I can check to see how far off I was from before.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote