Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
A slight wiggle when a semi passes in windy conditions is normal. The air-dam of a passing semi will push your trailer right first, push your tow vehicle right next, then the relative vacuum behind the semi will pull the trailer left, and finally pull the tow vehicle left. The problem is worse when there is a crosswind from the left - the semi blocks the crosswind for a few seconds, causing you to drift left. I have found that holding the steering wheel still will eliminate 90% of the problem. Steering corrections make it much worse. No hitch is going to eliminate this. Proper setup of what you have will help some.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
Once again thanks for all the help. I am currently watching a show on television about $2 miilion dollar motor coaches. Pehaps i have found the solutuion. But then I may not be able to afford the diesel fuel.
Have a great Thanksgiving. We are very fortunate to have minor problems such as trailer hitches, and to live in this great country.
That's funny woodedareas. I definitely can afford the diesel fuel - not a problem. It's the 2 Mil for the coach that I could not scrap together!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
As others have stated: Hensley Arrow. I'm still not completely in love with it (we're going through a wierd hard to hitch-up phase) but it eliminates sway from the big rigs. I don't even think about it that anymore.
-KL
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
hensley hitch up

I think everbody that has a Hensley goes thru this. You will gradually catch on and wonder what all the troubles were. I used to get furious trying to hitch up. Anyway, hang in there.
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #25
_

. , .
hi silverback and rochar3....

hitch up problems?

take'm here......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...de-26279.html?

the ultimate haha users guide...

ask questions or post comments and pictures...

tips, tricks, tweaks and triumphs for haha users everywhere.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I like these contributions, they rock and should give you good insight. When a 18 wheeler passes you on the left, the air does push the trailer right but makes the TV suck to the left at first. Strange for some but not overacting is the key. A lot of white knuckling is self induced.
Not too much 5th wheel experience on this forum but they don't have this problem nor do the goose necks. If the pivot point is on the axle, the fishtailing is virtually zero but the sway is still there. Just food for thought because the lateral forces are felt more than the longitudinal forces..
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote