Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
safety chains: too long/not too long?

When our TV and trailer are lined up straight our safety chains skim the ground. (We added two links on each side to get this length.) We did this because the combined length and "floating" pivot of our Propride hitch (the later model of a Hensley) takes up all of the chain slack when we turn a corner. Without this much length I've watched the chains strain and catch, then pop against the hitch.

Would it be a problem if we create some sort of sling to just hold the chains off the pavement?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
When our TV and trailer are lined up straight our safety chains skim the ground. (We added two links on each side to get this length.) We did this because the combined length and "floating" pivot of our Propride hitch (the later model of a Hensley) takes up all of the chain slack when we turn a corner. Without this much length I've watched the chains strain and catch, then pop against the hitch.

Would it be a problem if we create some sort of sling to just hold the chains off the pavement?
The correct chain length should be determined by criss crossing the chains.

Then when you make a turn, the chains will not drag.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As mentioned the chains should cross side to side under the hitch.

Another factor that is more important than the chains is the length of the safety cable to the brake disconnect. That cable wants to short enough to insure it pulls the pin on the emergency brake switch before the chains reach full extension once the hitch has failed. All to many drivers treat this cable as a ground strap and have it so long it would never function in an emergency.

Not the greatest picture for the illustration of the brake cable but if you look closely you will see the cable and umbilical line feed through a spring clip holding the tongue latch down. This arrangement insures they can not snag on anything and defines the shortest path.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shank.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	79150  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Whilst reading up on safety chains this week I came across what I think is a useful suggestion. Which was running a shock cord or bungee strap through the links of chain to stop the chains jangling. I'm still a little confused about how the chains keep the tongue from hitting the ground in the event of a disconnect incident, maybe the long hitches we use make it tricky. I'll be sure to check mine when I weld the mount back on the tongue.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is not necessary that the chains keep the tongue from hitting the ground it is necessary that the chains keep the trailer behind the TV so some level of controlled stop might be accomplished.

I do not have a picture of the failure when this happened but I can state that the tongue did not reach the ground. Luckily we were stopped when the head broke. The tongue dropped on the chains to a point that I had to look twice to even see the broken head after I heard the snap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese.JPG
Views:	767
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	79154  

Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It is not necessary that the chains keep the tongue from hitting the ground it is necessary that the chains keep the trailer behind the TV so some level of controlled stop might be accomplished.

I do not have a picture of the failure when this happened but I can state that the tongue did not reach the ground. Luckily we were stopped when the head broke. The tongue dropped on the chains to a point that I had to look twice to even see the broken head after I heard the snap.
HOLY CRAP Batman! Thank goodness you were stopped. Someone up there was looking out for you!

I'm stunned to see that kind of failure. Do you have any idea what happened? Just a flaw in the metal?

I noticed that the ball appeared to be loose on the mount and ungreased. Could that have been a contributing cause? I recently read a post about greasing the hitch ball, where a poster thought that a dry ball could come unscrewed due to friction in turns. If the ball had say half an inch of play then could the front end of the trailer bounce up and down eventually cracking the trunnion piece?

I'm towing out Sunday. Tomorrow I check and tighten ALL the bolts and regrease my ball!

Paula
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Our chains are crossed, and as directed by the hitch manufacturer, they are inside the stabilizer bars.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Also, they don't drag when we turn the corners - they are very tight in the corners. They drag when the TV and trailer are lined up straight.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 04-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Also, they don't drag when we turn the corners - they are very tight in the corners. They drag when the TV and trailer are lined up straight.

Kelly, something else is going on here. When you turn with your 3P hitch the chain distance gets SHORTER. When you are straight in line with the trailer, the chains are as long as they ever need to be.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for checking in on this Sean.

It sounds like some photos are in order.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Sean, that's right. That's what I said. My concern is that when they are at their maximum length (when the trailer and TV are in a straight line) that they actually touch the ground. They have to be that long because when we go around corners they shorten up a LOT. Before we added 2 more links to the chains they pinched the side of part of the hitch.

All I want to know is, will skimming the ground cause a real problem, and, is it o.k. to support them with some sort of sling?

I can take a picture of them hanging down, but I don't know how to add a picture to these messages.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 04-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
By the way, Sean, we attended our state rally this past weekend. There was a lot of interest in the Propride hitch. We do love the hitch - don't get me wrong - it has made towing a breeze. We're just concerned about these chains.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 04-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mine were too long and drug when the van was straight, even when crossed. The hook is attached to the chain end with a pin that has a cotter key in it. We were able to move the hook back by two links. That took care of the dragging. The two links that are bypassed cause no issues.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We can shorten the chains by simply undoing what we have done. We are the ones who added two extra links on both sides. But, if we shorten them again then we'll be back to our original problem - which is that the hitch cannot pivot (float) as freely as it needs to in a turn.

I'm going to attach a lightweight cord of some sort to act as a sling and hold them off the ground. I'll make it just heavy enough so they won't drag, but light enough that if a connection gives and the chains snap into use that they won't be restricted.

Sean, does this sound O.K?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 04-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Chains should always be crossed never drag ground when ar decided in 1967 they had to have 21 inch ball ht. bad desicion reese made head l bar which siscsored 5000 lbs pressure causing head to break my rec. to reese was to bridge bottom with flat stock also to weld in gusset vert. horz. sq. bar and vert. bars reese accepted my rec. plus paid large settelement my loss of 1967 30 ft ar check sarasota fla rally 1967 I was one with wood and nail tr there after losing my ar at nashville on way to rally there is much more to story email me at bill73r1@gmail.com for more details owned ar since 1962 presently have 1976 31 sov pur new 1976 tow with 2000 chev 2500 4 whl. drive no problems no interest replacing faRMER BILL
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
We can shorten the chains by simply undoing what we have done. We are the ones who added two extra links on both sides. But, if we shorten them again then we'll be back to our original problem - which is that the hitch cannot pivot (float) as freely as it needs to in a turn.
Sean, does this sound O.K?
If you have a digital camera and any kind of software take the pictures and let us know what software you have and one of us will walk you thought he up load. Take a picture showing the trailer and TV foull side view and several of the chains and hitch.

There is NO REASON for your chains to hit the ground unless you are running extremely tongue low. The chains will not shorten when turning, in fact as mentioned they will drop closer to the ground during a turn.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
I'll take some pictures this Friday since we are hitching up then to tow to a campground.

Our tongue is very low. We pull with an Excursion, which is low because it's an SUV and not a truck.

The chains tighten when we turn a corner because our hitch "floats" which causes the chain on the opposite side to tighten.

Anyway, I'll take pictures and show you what I mean.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"