Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ariz-Pacer... Glad you made it on your way safe and sound and that it all turned out well in the end. And thanks for sharing the experience with us...we all need to be reminded form time to time to check our hitch set-up...

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
Glad you and the truck anf trailer made it out o.k.

Bad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1958 17' Pacer
Phoenix , Arizona
Safety Chains.......

Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Did you cross the safety chains so the coupler would fall on the crossed chains? That's how I hook them.

Yes.......I did cross the safety chains and it did catch the coupler/tongue, however the chains were longer than they needed to be and that allowed the base of the jack to dig into the pavement causing quite a ruckus and tossing the Airstream about. It's a little shorter now.......

Ariz-Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am glad to hear you had no injury or damage. I can attest to the worth of the chains after forgetting to put in the locking pins on our TOAD and pulling our Saturn through Vermont with nothing but the chains. Eventually a passing motorist on the Interstate got our attention and we correctly hitched up the Saturn.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Although I wince every time we hoist the rear of the TV up with the trailer jack to connect up the weight distribution system, I do at least know for sure that the ball and coupler are mated properly. Crossed chains are always applied anyway, partly to satisfy the law but mostly to keep me happy that we're taking every possible precaution!
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Wow, great story, buddy!! Thanks for posting it! I was right there with you. I'll bookmark it for others.

Here's the thread on this issue for which you may have been searching.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I have always wondered if our safety chains were a bit long. I will be sure to get them checked by a professional soon. What changes will you make when hooking up now. Thanks for sharing.
John & Lisa
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Been there, too! We ended up with the TT stuck under our bumper as we braked to the side of the road. Now, shortening of chains to appropriate length is top priority.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
I was distracted by a neighbor with friendly conversation while attaching my Hensley to the truck receiver and forgot to put the pin in. After traveling several miles and then up mountain switch backs we heard and felt the thud as the trailer became unhitched, Hensley and all. The safety chains worked and with the help of an Airstream buddy we were traveling with we got the trailer all hooked up and were off with no damage at all. Moral of the story....don't get distracted while hooking up your Hensley or any other hitch device!
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
...we heard and felt the thud as the trailer became unhitched...
That wasn't the trailer thudding, that was your heart in your mouth!
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Brad, Were you there? Hahaha. If it hadn't been for my friend, another forum member, I might have had a heart attack! It was a seriously stressful moment for certain!
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have not read all of this thread,but I replaced our saftey chains last year.While hooking up to leave a campsite I found an open link in both saftey chains. These I assumed were the originals as they had the rod that is thur the first link and welded to the A frame. I took the torch and cut them both off. Then I went to Lowes and got new hooks and chain.I went up one size on the chain because I felt the originals were a bit small.
I bought hooks with pins so I could adjust how much ground clearence I have and they can be adjust if I change TV. I can also take them off an store them in winter or when not towing. WORKS FER ME.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I recently had new chains put on, and they were wayyyy to long. New to towing, I just grabbed a bungie to keep them from actually touching the ground. A friend showed me that you can run the chain through the link in the TV, then hook the chain back on itself to make the chain as short as possible. The carbiners, hooks, etc do not have to attach to the TV, they can hook back to the chain itself.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Near catastrophe

Went out and hooked up the new Bubble for a trip to a friends welding shop for some expert care. Hooked up as usual, did a safety walk around, and hit the road for the short trip. About three miles into the trip, on a country road I passed over a small bridge which had a small hump/bump as you came off it. I felt and heard the thump......looked in the rear view and saw the horrifying sight of the Bubble weaving side to side, nose low. At 55 mph the Bubble had become detached from the ball. It remained hooked the the single, rusted out safety chain which I was enroute to have replaced. Now it all came together....a single chain, rusted nearly in two, 55 mph, detached and dragging on the retracted jack. It brought back many memories of formation flights. Trying to slow up without ramming the Bubble up under the rear of the truck. Using the drag of the jack to slow us up to a safe stop while swerving back and forth. Traffic was no problem...thank you!....but it could have been if any had been around. I think the heavy 3/4 ton Super Duty was a saving grace too. A lighter vehicle would surely have joined in the whipping swerves.....this did not. So....had the trailer drag us to a straight ahead stop. I was able to lift the hitch back into place and re latch it. It seemed to lock into place as it should...and the chain re checked. 20 mph limp to the shop. I checked the hitch and can only think that the bump off the bridge flipped up the locking tounge allowing the detachment. I never have used a pin to lock the hitch closed...I will always do so now. Also....two chains and a new hitch being installed now.

"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote