Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Made the adjustment to three links. Chains now hooking "up". Weaved cable through new 'wire lock pin' thingy at top of ball latch.

Better?

Attachment 282776
In pic. chains are to long, if trailer comes unhooked will not support coupler letting trailer hit ground possibly digging in causing many prob. and severe damage. Read my post #61 of trailer coming unhooked chains supported coupler end keeping out of oncoming traffic and no damage to any thing, and another person posted when hitch came out carried on chains until safe stop. If tie up slack in chains that are to long they are worthless.

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Where is your break away brake cable?

Attached on the left (far) side. You can just about see the curly wire in the photo above the hitch, stretched taught without a catenary.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
In pic. chains are to long, if trailer comes unhooked will not support coupler letting trailer hit ground possibly digging in causing many prob. and severe damage. Read my post #61 of trailer coming unhooked chains supported coupler end keeping out of oncoming traffic and no damage to any thing, and another person posted when hitch came out carried on chains until safe stop. If tie up slack in chains that are to long they are worthless.

How long is too long?

In other words, they are too long by how many inches, in your view?

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Bad idea weaving anything thru that "thingy" as a pull can open and dislodge it, leaving your hitch in condition to unlatch.

Here's the wire lock pin. Kinda hard to see how this is coming loose?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2758.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	282804

I certainly see where it could be a point of failure. I'll double check it tomorrow. I might re-insert the keyed locking pin I had, and use the wire lock pin as a cable guide only, on top of the locking pin.

Reference the other points, the chains I have came with the Airstream, so assume they are adequate.

I'm trying to adjust the chains' length, so I don't have to twist them. I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure why you'd insert a twist, vs. the option of setting the chains to the correct length 'once'. Seems to me it would make any discussion of weakness induced by twisting kinda moot. Ymmv I guess.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Shortening the chains permanently means they may not work when I use a different hitch or tow vehicle. Twisting them allows them to be adjusted to any setup.
Ever notice that liability conscious U-Haul twists their trailer chains when they hitch you up to one of their rental units? That's allowable because the safety chains are greatly over rated for the task.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote