Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,367
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisr View Post
You can twist the chain if it is to long as in touching the ground but you do need slack in the chain.
Please Google this for facts. Twisting reduces the breaking strength, which compromises their effectiveness in their intended purpose. Shorten to their proper length is the only answer.
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #42
Journeyman
 
2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 914
From my youth I seem to remember that there are two types of hooks often put on chains... one type is for hooking onto a metal loop like we have on our tow vehicles and the other type is for hooking onto the CHAIN ITSELF. Seems you could put that second type of hook on, thread the chain through the loop and hook it back on itself.

Is this the difference between a "slip" hook and a "grab" hook?

And thus I have exhausted all of my knowledge of chains. Anybody out there to illuminate or debunk the above?
__________________

__________________
-----

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #43
TinCan
 
graysailor's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 864
They would only serve 1/2 the purpose if not crossed. Always crossX
__________________
TinCan
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not much probably...other than the law in many (all??) states says they gotta be crossed.


Mine's the same way. You really can't cross them from that configuration without sort of twisting them together.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master
 
The Colonel's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 634
Blog Entries: 1
I'm late getting in discussion. I've always crossed chains for the reasons explained several times in this thread.
__________________
The Colonel and Southern Belle
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
No, a clevis hook is a hook for the TV end of the chain which attaches to the chain with a clevis pin. Yes, you could use a threaded link. Each piece, hook or link, should be rated at or above trailer gvwr for breaking strength.


Is "Grade 8" a term used to describe the strength/weight capacity of chains and hooks?
I really believe the weak link will be where the chains are attached to the trailer tongue/a-frame.
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,367
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Is "Grade 8" a term used to describe the strength/weight capacity of chains and hooks?
I really believe the weak link will be where the chains are attached to the trailer tongue/a-frame.
Not that I've ever run across. There is a numeric reference to the material used as "43" among other numbers. I really haven't been able to correlate that to their "ratings". This is what I find frustrating with chains and their "accessories"....some listings online and the boxes they come in use terms like "rating" "capacity", etc. These are generic terms and don't tell use if they are referencing working load or breaking strength (tensile strength?).

It is important for us to know both working load and breaking strength in order to comply with the requirement or standard of using a single component or single chain with the breaking strength of at least the gvwr of the trailer. I get nervous when the item is marked, "capacity - 5000 pounds". What does that mean? Is that working load?...if so the breaking strength is between 2 to 3 times that spec, and it would be fine for my 10K trailer....but the package doesn't use proper terminology. I have found bulk boxes of chain which are as vague as the above terminology, as well as some that have working load, breaking strength, as well as the numeric "material coding??" That is where the frustrating hunting and shopping takes place.

This should help with your questions relative to material grading:

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/aboutgrading.htm

Ah ha, this chart denotes working load limits and has a note about correllating breaking strength:

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/WLLchart.htm

Now to just find boxes and links and hooks which warrant the same ratings!?!?!?
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #48
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,367
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Is "Grade 8" a term used to describe the strength/weight capacity of chains and hooks?
I really believe the weak link will be where the chains are attached to the trailer tongue/a-frame.
I'm not sure the tongue loop is a puny as we might think. I'd bet it is a "hard" material and meets the GVWR test, or they couldn't meet DOT and state retention requirements. But, I do wonder about the welding?????
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #49
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,728
Grade 8 is a bolt strength specification. The link above gives information on chain specifications. Quite interesting. Thanks for posting. Pat

Edit - chain attachment loop strength - a weld to a chassis is only as strong as the chassis material. Also, a high strength material which is heated must be annealed to eliminate stress from the welding process. Doubt very much that the loop is anything other than mild steel. From a positive perspective, the weld is long so it does cover a lot of surface area. Also, the chain does not have to lift the coach. It just needs to keep the coach following the TV if the coupler falls off the ball. There is the potential of shock loading, but less if the tongue is cradled by the chains. There are two chains and that helps with the safety factor up until and if one of the chains fails.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,227
Blog Entries: 1
In TN if there are 2 chains each one must be rated heavy enough for the trailer. Since chains do not stretch it is assumed that only one will actually be carrying the load. The only reason for having 2 chains seems to be to cross them to hold up the tongue.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,367
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
In TN if there are 2 chains each one must be rated heavy enough for the trailer. Since chains do not stretch it is assumed that only one will actually be carrying the load. The only reason for having 2 chains seems to be to cross them to hold up the tongue.
And if they are crossed, and if there is some separation on chain mounts, two will help the disconnected trailer from wagging as much as a single or un- crossed setup.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #52
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,367
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Grade 8 is a bolt strength specification. The link above gives information on chain specifications. Quite interesting. Thanks for posting. Pat

Edit - chain attachment loop strength - a weld to a chassis is only as strong as the chassis material. Also, a high strength material which is heated must be annealed to eliminate stress from the welding process. Doubt very much that the loop is anything other than mild steel. From a positive perspective, the weld is long so it does cover a lot of surface area. Also, the chain does not have to lift the coach. It just needs to keep the coach following the TV if the coupler falls off the ball. There is the potential of shock loading, but less if the tongue is cradled by the chains. There are two chains and that helps with the safety factor up until and if one of the chains fails.
True, but I guess we can take comfort with all the YouTube videos showing a lot of still connected (both coupled and uncoupled, but chained) accidents....some with TVs actually suspended in the air.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
Llando88's Avatar
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 656
I feel like this is a good thread to ask this question.

Last year, we upgraded from a 27' FB FC to a 30' Rear Queen FC. Colonial moved my Propride hitch over in Lakewood from my 27 to the 30. Both were 2016 models.

Now, here is the question.

My chains were not adjusted going to the larger unit. Should they?

My crossed chains hang abou 1" below the main coupler. The ProPride manual says "this is as long as they ever need to be."

I am slow on the logic here: what does that mean? That the chains will drop down when the rig is turned?

Last question: since we got rolling here in 2017, occasionally I will hear a 'thump' from the location of the hitch when making a gradual turn. I am wondering if it is possible for my chains to be binding at the location where I route them (between the bars on the ProPride) and maybe I ought to lengthen them a bit?

Thanks for any guidance.

Rich
__________________
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,367
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
I feel like this is a good thread to ask this question.

Last year, we upgraded from a 27' FB FC to a 30' Rear Queen FC. Colonial moved my Propride hitch over in Lakewood from my 27 to the 30. Both were 2016 models.

Now, here is the question.

My chains were not adjusted going to the larger unit. Should they?

My crossed chains hang abou 1" below the main coupler. The ProPride manual says "this is as long as they ever need to be."

I am slow on the logic here: what does that mean? That the chains will drop down when the rig is turned?

Last question: since we got rolling here in 2017, occasionally I will hear a 'thump' from the location of the hitch when making a gradual turn. I am wondering if it is possible for my chains to be binding at the location where I route them (between the bars on the ProPride) and maybe I ought to lengthen them a bit?

Thanks for any guidance.

Rich
A picture would help us answer, but on the PPP setup, as you turn the distance from the coupler to the receiver actually DECREASES, so you have a bit MORE slack than when going straight ahead. As long as there is enough chain length so that they do not interfere with the bottom of the stinger while turning, you're good. Oh, and be sure that the chains are routed BETWEEN the spring bars.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #55
Rivet Polisher
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 167
Another tidbit someone told me many moons ago about trailers:

"Chains First - Chains Last"

When connecting your TV to the trailer, hook up the chains first. When disconnecting, unhook the chains last. I can vouch that a couple of times the "Chains Last" has saved my butt because the trailer wasn't chocked or the chocks didn't hold.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'm not sure the tongue loop is a puny as we might think. I'd bet it is a "hard" material and meets the GVWR test, or they couldn't meet DOT and state retention requirements. But, I do wonder about the welding?????


I'm sure the loop itself is as strong as the chain links, but what about the weld?
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master
 
Llando88's Avatar
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
A picture would help us answer, but on the PPP setup, as you turn the distance from the coupler to the receiver actually DECREASES, so you have a bit MORE slack than when going straight ahead. As long as there is enough chain length so that they do not interfere with the bottom of the stinger while turning, you're good. Oh, and be sure that the chains are routed BETWEEN the spring bars.

Thanks, I'll post a picture of mine connected up 'normally' tomorrow.
__________________
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Smile

Thanks everyone for your advice. Crossed chains it is. As we enter the Airstream life we realize this is a deep well with much to learn, but we are eager. Thanks again, Jim and Nancy
jimrosemergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
 
zapper's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 185
If you still have low hanging crossed chains subject to grabbing onto anything beneath them try using bungee cords to bring them up a bit just in front of the hitch ball. Does away with possible binding from having them too tight.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
Llando88's Avatar
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thanks, I'll post a picture of mine connected up 'normally' tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2715.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	281929

Thoughts?
__________________

__________________
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Cables versus Chains Ganglin Hitches, Couplers & Balls 74 05-23-2013 11:01 PM
safety chains: too long/not too long? kfrere Hitches, Couplers & Balls 16 04-27-2009 11:14 AM
Replace Safety Chains..? Ganglin Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 11-13-2006 09:09 PM
Safety chains: A message from Airstream Rog0525 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 0 05-02-2003 07:14 PM
Safety Tow Chains pap Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 04-11-2003 11:16 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.