Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Safety Chain Worn - How Did this Happen?

I have a mystery. As I was unhooking today I noticed the safety chains are both badly worn, as if almost filed through. One link is nearly gone. I know... first thought, dragging on the pavement. Except these links are the first and third links next to the tow vehicle. The middle and lowest hanging links are just fine. More, the mystery is the amount of rust on the wear locations so it didn't happen recently.

My trailer is barely over one year old. I've only towed it about 3,500 miles since purchased and the safety chains are badly worn and ruined. No evidence of any unusual wear on tow vehicle hitch, nor on the Equalizer hitch. Any ideas? Photos follow.

Notice the wear on the third chain link.

This photo shows the wear on the first link.

Another view of the damage.

Photo of damage to link on second chain (fourth link).

A view somewhat replicating the look when hitched. The chains typically hang about 3" above the pavement at bottom. The problem links are towards the front near the tow vehicle, nowhere near pavement. I've never let them drag or forgot to clip on when towing. Due to the amount of rust I know the damage hasn't been reoccurring, at least not lately. I'm stumped. In the short run I thinking of just cutting the bad links out and living with shorter chains. Any thoughts?

- Kurt
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
That is abrasion damage, somehow, somewhere those chains have dragged against something. You could cut them out as long as it doesn't shorten the chains too much.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Were the chains shortened when you had the Andersen hitch, and the extra links in front left on but contacting the ground?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sure looks like road rash to me.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Since the third link appeared weakened beyond sensible, I cut it off, basically shortened the chain. I have a couple of chain shackles I can use if needed to re-lengthen the chain. The other end is welded onto the Airstream frame. I've never previously cut nor did anything special to the chain, just attached to the same TV as always and took off.

What's strange is the wear pattern. It was obviously ground down against something abrasive, but also held in one position and under pressure. Note how the metal curls up to the side of the grind area. This would seem to omit random pavement abrasion. This is one year old trailer.

I'm stumped. I almost wonder if this is how it came from the factory, or damage happened on way out. The rust would imply some age.

The wear pattern is totally flat. As if secured and pressed very hard against an abrasive. So hard some of the metal curled back over the sides. Strange.

This link was attached directly to the snap clamp that attaches to the tow vehicle. The snap clamp is fine, no wear whatsoever. Link #2 shown here on left is fine.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This is road rash.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Except these links are the first and third links next to the tow vehicle.
I've seen damage on two separate links like this before, and it is rare up near the hooks or at the attach points. I've had owners come in with this kind of damage and have admitted to twisting the chains to take up the slack. The chains rub together in a twisted fashion and the is what it looks like.

I'm not saying that you did twist your chains, but if the link was twisted by accident and you had a long road trip without disconnecting, it is a possibility. And with cheaper and cheaper chains hitting the market they don't take chaffing contact like an expensive set of chains.

I personally ride with my chains five inches of the ground with my hunting trailer. I also permanently set the length so I do not have to do any kind of twisting or zip tieing or links to get the correct hight from ground each time.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I use a bungee cord to hold chain off the ground
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Perhaps the chains were dragged by the hauler who delivered the trailer to your dealer, and you didn't notice until they rusted up and became obvious?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I like the twisted chains idea. Makes perfect sense. Could also be road rash. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
dragged?

I agree with Robert Claus, they may have been dragged by the delivery hauler, and maybe they put new hooks on the end because they were booger-ed up a bit like the chain?

Is those add a links ok to use? Are they as strong? I'd like to add a link or two to my chains cause I think the are little tight in a turn. I haven't used any of those before.
Have a good one,
Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Who Did It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
My trailer is barely over one year old. I've only towed it about 3,500 miles since purchased and the safety chains are badly worn and ruined. No evidence of any unusual wear on tow vehicle hitch, nor on the Equalizer hitch. Any ideas? Photos follow.

Notice the wear on the third chain link.

This photo shows the wear on the first link.

Another view of the damage.

Photo of damage to link on second chain (fourth link).

A view somewhat replicating the look when hitched. The chains typically hang about 3" above the pavement at bottom. ...
- Kurt
You probably did not cause this damage. Would it be possible to contact the previous owner, or selling dealer, to discuss this issue with them? They might be able to shed some light on the cause.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I would just put on a new set of chains and call it a day. It's road rash.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto what Tater said. New chains are cheap. Not worth loosing sleep over or bothering the P.O..

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
As mocked up in your last photo, the chains look to be a bit too long. Cutting them to the desired length and removing the damaged links would be my approach of there is no other area of significant wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

Anybody curious or comments on the angle of the un-hitched bars of the hitch in Kurt's last pic?

I don't have the same TV so I don't have any baseline to compare to.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Looking at pics. chain should be crossed beneath hitch for added safety, because if trailer breaks loose will stop from dragging on ground causing more damage, also many states it is required to cross chains, as for wear probably done before you pur. trailer
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Looking at pics. chain should be crossed beneath hitch for added safety, because if trailer breaks loose will stop from dragging on ground causing more damage, also many states it is required to cross chains, as for wear probably done before you pur. trailer
On the new Airstreams the chains are attached at a single center point under the tongue. There is no way to "cross the chains" as can be done on the older rigs which had the chains coming from two loops, one on either side of the trailer tongue.

If you look carefully at the photo showing the chains and how they are set up, you will see what I mean. My 2014 FC 20' has this single point attachment system and I think all new ones use that same system now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Not mine, they are on each side of the tongue and can be crossed. 2014 25' FC
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Perhaps the chains were dragged by the hauler who delivered the trailer to your dealer, and you didn't notice until they rusted up and became obvious?
My thoughts as well ... use a bungee on the new chains to hold them higher ... I would completely replace all the chian and attach with quick links or screw links for ease of adjustment / replacement.

As an aside, I would also cut off those extra long cross bolts on your EQ hitch ... have you left leg skin on them yet?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote