Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
As mocked up in your last photo, the chains look to be a bit too long. Cutting them to the desired length and removing the damaged links would be my approach of there is no other area of significant wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

Anybody curious or comments on the angle of the un-hitched bars of the hitch in Kurt's last pic?

I don't have the same TV so I don't have any baseline to compare to.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Looking at pics. chain should be crossed beneath hitch for added safety, because if trailer breaks loose will stop from dragging on ground causing more damage, also many states it is required to cross chains, as for wear probably done before you pur. trailer
Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Looking at pics. chain should be crossed beneath hitch for added safety, because if trailer breaks loose will stop from dragging on ground causing more damage, also many states it is required to cross chains, as for wear probably done before you pur. trailer
On the new Airstreams the chains are attached at a single center point under the tongue. There is no way to "cross the chains" as can be done on the older rigs which had the chains coming from two loops, one on either side of the trailer tongue.

If you look carefully at the photo showing the chains and how they are set up, you will see what I mean. My 2014 FC 20' has this single point attachment system and I think all new ones use that same system now.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Not mine, they are on each side of the tongue and can be crossed. 2014 25' FC
Old 08-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Perhaps the chains were dragged by the hauler who delivered the trailer to your dealer, and you didn't notice until they rusted up and became obvious?
My thoughts as well ... use a bungee on the new chains to hold them higher ... I would completely replace all the chian and attach with quick links or screw links for ease of adjustment / replacement.

As an aside, I would also cut off those extra long cross bolts on your EQ hitch ... have you left leg skin on them yet?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
Is those add a links ok to use? Are they as strong? I'd like to add a link or two to my chains cause I think the are little tight in a turn. I haven't used any of those before.
I have three of them on each of my chains, because the chains that came on my 2014 were way too short. The hardware store told me that the ad links are just as strong or stronger than the original chains. Make sure you get the same link diameter as the chains on the Airstream.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Not mine, they are on each side of the tongue and can be crossed. 2014 25' FC

Apparently then, Airstream is using different frame manufactures and they attach the chains differently for various runs or models.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
safety chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
On the new Airstreams the chains are attached at a single center point under the tongue. There is no way to "cross the chains" as can be done on the older rigs which had the chains coming from two loops, one on either side of the trailer tongue.

If you look carefully at the photo showing the chains and how they are set up, you will see what I mean. My 2014 FC 20' has this single point attachment system and I think all new ones use that same system now.
There has to be a way to cross chains as I stated it is the law in many states if not all. Dot will arrest you & if accident involved you could be in serious trouble.I don't think AS would not have a way to cross as there is legal liability for them. But I am not a lawyer but I have been where some one else pd. dearly. If you don't want cross it's your call.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Please sight your source about the chains having to be crossed. I have never been in any state where that is the law. Suggested but not that law.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do cross mine because it comes under " common sense" .

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
safety chains

[QUOTE=AWCHIEF;1494863]Please sight your source about the chains having to be crossed. I have never been in any state where that is the law. Suggested but not that law.[/Q google howstuffworkstrailersafetychains, where I found this site & it states that states require safety chains if not all plus they must be crossed
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
There has to be a way to cross chains as I stated it is the law in many states if not all. Dot will arrest you & if accident involved you could be in serious trouble.I don't think AS would not have a way to cross as there is legal liability for them. But I am not a lawyer but I have been where some one else pd. dearly. If you don't want cross it's your call.
It is a physical impossibility on my 2014 as delivered from the factory as the chains come from one point only, under the hitch center. It is not a matter of want, it is simply not possible without modification to the factory chain location. So, I am left to believe that Airstream thinks it is a satisfactory system. I have never heard of any law which required crossed chains anywhere I have lived.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Apparently then, Airstream is using different frame manufactures and they attach the chains differently for various runs or models.
All I know about is mine. I am not speaking about all Airstreams. Here is what mine looks like. One piece of steel formed into 2 loops welded to the underside of the tongue.