Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Safety chain removal

I have a Provan Ind. hitch lock but I thinking about removing my safety chains when stored. I would reattach my chains using locking quick links. The links that are welded to the frame would remain as attachment points. These links are rated at 4,000 lbs each. This would prevent someone from using the safety chains to steal the trailer.

Has anybody done this before and am I over thinking this? My chains will not lock inside my hitch lock.

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
No Matter what you do if they want to steal your trailer they will get it . Unless you remove your wheels .

Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
More like, unless you remove your axles and the frame. But them you are at risk the scrap hunters will pick you.

Not many reports here that detail trailers stolen. May be a fault in our thread management. How about an "Airstream/kin Stolen" thread. Could discuss prevention methods too.

I would think that your approach to remove the chains has merit. The counter point is that being focused on this type of detail extends setup cycle time. Up to a point it has value. Beyond that point it degrades time allocated to use. The efficient method would be to reverse the chain attachment. Permanent on the tow vehicle and temp on the coach. Not a concept that is normal so not comfortable to embrace but worth considering if safe and effective attachment hardware is used.

Best security protocol = towing and using your rig. Pat
Old 01-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. Now that's a bit of outside the box thinking, but it makes sense if there was a bigger set of sturdy rings, a slotted HEAVY steel plate spanning the A-frame (real easy to make), or eye bolts on the A-frame to put the typically largish chain hooks through.

That would be removable on both ends...

Gonna have to think about that one a bit. Could see a nice set of chains with the same locking hooks on BOTH ends to make it easy...and a bucket in the TV to store them in.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote