Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Safety chain removal

I have a Provan Ind. hitch lock but I thinking about removing my safety chains when stored. I would reattach my chains using locking quick links. The links that are welded to the frame would remain as attachment points. These links are rated at 4,000 lbs each. This would prevent someone from using the safety chains to steal the trailer.

Has anybody done this before and am I over thinking this? My chains will not lock inside my hitch lock.

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
No Matter what you do if they want to steal your trailer they will get it . Unless you remove your wheels .

woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
More like, unless you remove your axles and the frame. But them you are at risk the scrap hunters will pick you.

Not many reports here that detail trailers stolen. May be a fault in our thread management. How about an "Airstream/kin Stolen" thread. Could discuss prevention methods too.

I would think that your approach to remove the chains has merit. The counter point is that being focused on this type of detail extends setup cycle time. Up to a point it has value. Beyond that point it degrades time allocated to use. The efficient method would be to reverse the chain attachment. Permanent on the tow vehicle and temp on the coach. Not a concept that is normal so not comfortable to embrace but worth considering if safe and effective attachment hardware is used.

Best security protocol = towing and using your rig. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. Now that's a bit of outside the box thinking, but it makes sense if there was a bigger set of sturdy rings, a slotted HEAVY steel plate spanning the A-frame (real easy to make), or eye bolts on the A-frame to put the typically largish chain hooks through.

That would be removable on both ends...

Gonna have to think about that one a bit. Could see a nice set of chains with the same locking hooks on BOTH ends to make it easy...and a bucket in the TV to store them in.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Menifee , California
removable safety chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Hm. Now that's a bit of outside the box thinking, but it makes sense if there was a bigger set of sturdy rings, a slotted HEAVY steel plate spanning the A-frame (real easy to make), or eye bolts on the A-frame to put the typically largish chain hooks through.

That would be removable on both ends...

Gonna have to think about that one a bit. Could see a nice set of chains with the same locking hooks on BOTH ends to make it easy...and a bucket in the TV to store them in.
IMHO (in my humble opinion) I think that’s the best answer so far. Just like my safety chains have a clevis slip hook with latch at the end that connects to my vehicle, I suppose I can cut one chain link at the other end and replace it with another of the same grade and size clevis slip hook with latch to my trailer frame? I’d keep it with my WD hitch and paraphernalia when I’m not pulling. Obviously, without the WD hitch I’m not going anywhere, so the chains will be with my hitch. Problem solved.
Reeltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I really like that idea. A quick link or coupling link would work, too (but not a repair link). I’ve been thinking about how to store the trailer without chains and with a hitch cover/lock to make it less tempting to steal. A small switch in the battery box to disconnect the tongue jack (and then lock the battery box) would add an extra level of control, too. Can’t take it as easily if you can’t raise or lower the trailer onto a hitch. Tire covers are just another thing they have to deal with, and cable locks through tandem wheels are yet another step to slow someone down. Anything to make another trailer easier than mine.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Idea of a latching clevis hook on both ends was to eliminate the necessity for finding the correct end of the chain. Just grab and connect--both ends would be identical...

Trying to minimize the thurbligs...and the fumbling.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Idea of a latching clevis hook on both ends was to eliminate the necessity for finding the correct end of the chain. Just grab and connect--both ends would be identical...

That’s a great point.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corona , California
And I'm an overkill engineer, but an extraordinarily LAZY one. (some might consider that clever, but let's call it what it really is...)

Still trying to figure out some technological combinational computer and mechanical manipulator nightmare that would simply require me to back the TV up within say, three feet of the hitch, hit a button on a key fob, and the AS automagically retracts stabilizers, pulls and stows chocks, creeps forward, precisely mates and latches the ProPride stinger, connects the umbilical, tensions WD jacks properly, and also crosses and connects the safety chains.

Then it runs through full light and brake checks, whilst I study the map, or finish my cuppa morning tea in the cab of the TV. When complete, it issues a polite "Clear for launch" on the audio channel, and starts the TV engine for me.

You can see some of the progress in the 'Power WD Jack" thread, and the EZConnector web site for magnetically-mated umbilical setups. The technology exists, and we can abuse it...
Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I've often wondered....😳 Could this be the weak link?

Bob
🇺🇸

Sure appears a bit underwhelming....😱
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_13f2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	308995  

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corona , California
If the 'hairpin' holding the chains has similar strength and alloy to the chain links, and is welded on properly, it's fine...it looks to be similar diameter to the links on it.

Only way to be sure is to pull test it to the chain's rated breaking strength, and see what happens. I'll bet the hairpin bends a lot, but probably would not let go.

Anybody volunteering to supply an Airstream for a quick test?

<crickets>

I thought not...