Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
I cross the chains under the hitch, twisting them to get the right amount of slack, and I'm glad that I do. Last year, I went to hook up the trailer. I took the ball carrier out of my van, and inserted it into the receiver. For some reason, I was distracted at that point - phone call, went inside to get something I remembered, or something else. I backed the van, dropped the trailer onto it, and finished hooking up the chains and electric. I took off, headed for home. Crossed some railroad tracks, heard a loud noise, and saw that the Airstream behind me was at a strange angle, nose down. Pulled over to the side, and found that I had not inserted the pin to hold the carrier in the receiver! The carrier pulled out when I went over the tracks, and was now suspended in the crossed chains. Damage? Well, if you drop the nose of your trailer, it lands on the jack, which had gouged a groove in the asphalt. I was afraid that I had bent the jack post, but it worked fine. The bottom of the shaft was mis-shapen, which I later smoothed out with a grinder so that I could fit the foot on it again. Jacked the nose up, backed the van up a bit, removed the carrier from the chains and reinstalled it in the receiver correctly. Hooked back up and went on my way. Lesson learned.
Exactly perfect, EXCEPT for the "twist the chains to get the right amount of slack." There are better ways to get the right amount of slack, that don't weaken the chain.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Exactly perfect, EXCEPT for the "twist the chains to get the right amount of slack." There are better ways to get the right amount of slack, that don't weaken the chain.

Exactly perfect?

Except the chains did not bear the weight of the trailer. The jack did. Exactly my point.

So the reciever came out, dropped into the cradle, he hit the brakes, trailer went forward enough for cradle to drop. Jack drags while stopping preventing trailer from smacking TV.

Am I missing something here?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Personally in a catastrophic separation I would rather my trailer be " in my trunk" then in someone else's face. Oh, and bye-the-way I also cross the chains and connect the hooks from the top.
Sounds good to me.....

I think having the break-away connected to the vehicle bumper, whether it be an eye bolt through the license frame or some other manner may also be a good idea in case the failure is the entire receiver becoming detached from the tow vehicle.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Exactly perfect?

Except the chains did not bear the weight of the trailer. The jack did. Exactly my point.

So the reciever came out, dropped into the cradle, he hit the brakes, trailer went forward enough for cradle to drop. Jack drags while stopping preventing trailer from smacking TV.

Am I missing something here?
Sort of. I was describing precautions as perfect (except for the "twisting" part). The chains aren't adjusted tight enough to prevent the jack from dragging; I suspect that if you adjusted them that tight, you wouldn't be able to turn. But while the jack is designed for load-baring (while the trailer is parked) it's not a structural part of the trailer. Even if you snap off the jack entirely, you don't render the trailer untowable.

Having the jack plow pavement is a whole lot better than the trailer tongue plowing pavement. If the tongue digs in at high speeds, the trailer could pitchpole (like pole-vaulting over the tongue), not just drag, if it hits a pothole or something. I've only seen it happen once, luckily with a U-haul box trailer and not an Airstream, but that once was enough! I'm just glad it wasn't me that was towing!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Would somebody with a late model trailer go out and take a look where the safety chains attach to the trailer frame?

Mine can't be the only one with one steel loop welded to the frame, and both safety chains attached to that one loop, or . . . is it? This is a 2012, my 2007 safety chains were attached separately.

There is no crisscrossing to form a cradle here.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Safety chains attached at same point at frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9160-1.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	182526  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
My question is where did you get the mounts for your flag pole holder?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
My question is where did you get the mounts for your flag pole holder?
"Sandlapper" a forum member makes and sells them as a unit with the 3 or 5 hole flagpole holder. They are sturdy, look factory, and fit perfectly.

Airstream Forums - View Profile: sandlapper

doug k
Old 04-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks Doug.

I just checked my chains they are mounted separately.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #30

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
"Sandlapper" a forum member makes and sells them as a unit with the 3 or 5 hole flagpole holder. They are sturdy, look factory, and fit perfectly.

Airstream Forums - View Profile: sandlapper

doug k
I'll have to PM sandlapper and ask if he could also make one that can be attached to the front license plate mount on my Interstate. Since Louisiana doesn't use front plates, and there are already two holes in the bumper for mounting a license plate, seems like a good place to mount a flag holder.