Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Rough casting hitch "friction" points

I received my new Reese dual cam and noticed that the trunnion pockets in the ball mount as well as the cam surfaces themselves are very rough with casting irregularities and "seam" grind areas. This is normal with all the hitches I have ever had and has resulted in a rough uneven wear in of the surfaces as time and miles go on. (my theory)

I am wondering if this might be the source of a lot of the noise complaints with WD hitches.

Opinions please! Would it be advisable to hit these areas with a dremmel and start their life with a relatively smooth surface.

I never thought of this before today when I was unboxing my new hitch.

Might be a good experiment???? I am not talking about removing a lot of material, just smoothing things out.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you smooth out the part line in the castings you might be able to go from a low pitched griiiiiind to a high pitched squeeeeeal.

You might even be able to tune them using grinding compound instead of grease. Then you could sing a tune as you back into your parking spot.

Go ahead and grind away!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I received my new Reese dual cam and noticed that the trunnion pockets in the ball mount as well as the cam surfaces themselves are very rough with casting irregularities and "seam" grind areas. This is normal with all the hitches I have ever had and has resulted in a rough uneven wear in of the surfaces as time and miles go on. (my theory)

I am wondering if this might be the source of a lot of the noise complaints with WD hitches.

Opinions please! Would it be advisable to hit these areas with a dremmel and start their life with a relatively smooth surface.

I never thought of this before today when I was unboxing my new hitch.

Might be a good experiment???? I am not talking about removing a lot of material, just smoothing things out.
put all the vaseline you want on it, as many do, i've been towing over 20 years a use vaseline on my bars and don't have the noises.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote

« swaybar | Top | New coupler »