Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
NICEVILLE , Florida
Replacement Coupler For Tradewind

Where is the best place to find a new 2" coupler for my 1960 Trade Wind? What is the best type to use? Is there any thing special to look out for before welding a new one on?
Thanks,
Terry
CAPEHORN31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Replacement Coupler For Tradewind

Greetings Terry!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPEHORN31
Where is the best place to find a new 2" coupler for my 1960 Trade Wind? What is the best type to use? Is there any thing special to look out for before welding a new one on?
Thanks,
Terry
If your coupler isn't damaged beyond repair, and it is one of the Marvels that was typical of the era; you may be able to get a repair/rebuild kit. The last time I checked, Inland RV listed repair kits for the Marvel 2" couplers.

Something to consider if your coupler is damaged beyond repair would be an upgrade to the current 2 5/16" coupler. It is typically easier, at least in my area, to find the larger ball size with the capacity to safely handle an Airstream (most of the 2" balls that are on the shelves around here do not have the desired 10,000 pound rating -- most are below 6,000 pounds). A good friend has had this performed on his '60 Overlander and is very pleased with the results (an Airstream dealer handled the replacement). Thus far, my Overlander's coupler has been repairable, but if a replacement is needed, I will have my Airstream dealer install a 2 5/16" coupler so that I can use the same hitch for both the Minuet and Overlander.

The primary consideration in looking at new couplers would be to be sure that the one selected has ample capacity to handle the maximum load anticipated. This is another area where 15-20% excess capacity would provide a safety margin.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
CAPEHORN 31 hello ,

You can purchase a new coupler from most trailer supply stores or a good RV
outlet that carries a variety of supplies related to trailers ,like springs shackles,couplers etc, one that carries a good selection is my point. upgrading to the 2 5/16 is a great idea if you do need to change the whole thing .When welding the new one on ,make sure the steel frame rails are not
rusted out at all (very important) and the steel is prepped to remove old paint and whatever so its clean ,then ,the welds must be solid in that they have good penetration ,arc stick welded on or( MIG with the setting at a relatively
high setting) to ensure good penetration of the welds .MIGs can produce a
sweet looking weld ,with poor penetration so its important to make sure its
welding the steel correctly .Thats about it ,make sure the coupler is aligned
straight on the frame rails on the nose . Its interesting to note on my 60
trdwnd I have an ATWOOD coupler and it clearly says 2 5/16 ball ,but it is not its a 2'" ball and it fits correctly and locks solid in place ,the 2 5/16 ball
does not fit up in the coupler ball socket ,way too big and it appears to be original to the trailer,really weird.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote