Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
I welded a receiver tube under my trailer tongue at the side. I just slip the receiver into it and lock it in with a receiver lock when I remove it from truck, but: I never remove it when I travel - waste of time and effort.
Hi: So you put the head hitch and bars into a holder under the trailer? do you have a picture? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Hitch storage when camping

I have an Eaz-lift hitch as well and sometimes I leave the hitch ball in the tongue with a padlock in the latch and swing it around hanging under the frame frame out of the way. I put the bars across the frame behind the tanks and padlock the bar chains to the lifting loop on the side with a long hasp padlock or a padlock and a short additional length of chain. This way everything is out of the way but also locked to the trailer.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakathy View Post
Hi! Thanks, yes, this is what we have. We just measured the head hitch and it would stick out 16". But you've inspired us with some ideas. Do you lock it on your pickup so it doesn't get stolen while driving around? Thanks, Kathy
You're welcome!

Yes, when the hitch head shank is put into our truck's receiver, it is locked in place with a hitch pin lock. Our lock was made by Fulton and when I bought it, I also bought a Fulton trailer lock that locks down the lever on the the top part of the trailer's A-frame coupler. (I'm not sure if Fulton still makes this as a combination set anymore.)

In addition to that, we also use a Huskey Universal Coupler Lock that fits into the underside of the coupler. (See photo and description in my post #58 in the thread, "Theft Prevention of Airstream Trailers".

-- Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0058 2007 23' Safari in Mts..jpg
Views:	107
Size:	523.0 KB
ID:	215351  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi! Thanks, yes, this is what we have. We just measured the head hitch and it would stick out 16". But you've inspired us with some ideas. Do you lock it on your pickup so it doesn't get stolen while driving around? Thanks, Kathy
Hi, do not leave the hitch head in the receiver. I have seen vehicles where they left the hitch head in the receiver and got rear ended; This caused the rear of the truck's frame to bend downward. Now you aren't towing anything. And this wouldn't be fun three states away from home.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I put the ball back into the coupler and lock it. Then I swing it under the a frame out of the way. The bars go in the truck bed. None of the parts are that heavy and I wipe the bar pivots with a rag so there's no mess.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Thanks everyone! We've worked it all out thanks to a lot of input from our airstream friends. We are still taking off the hitch, but we didn't know we could take off the bars - that helps a lot with the weight. We just don't like driving around with the ball and hitch on the pickup.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Thanks everyone! We've worked it all out thanks to a lot of input from our airstream friends. We are still taking off the hitch, but we didn't know we could take off the bars - that helps a lot with the weight. We just don't like driving around with the ball and hitch on the pickup.
Thanks, Kathy, I had a hunch that was the case. Glad you have worked it all out and thanks for letting us know the resolution of your concerns. Yes, this is a wonderful forum with Airstreamers who have a wealth of experiences, knowledge, common sense, humor, and a way with words that has helped so many. And it is so nice to hear a thank you and resolution from those who have been helped!

Happy travels!

Bill
Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Pretty simple solution, and helps with trailer security also. Just remove the 5/8" pin from the tow bar and hitch receiver, do not unhook the coupler from the ball, but just use the tongue jack to take all the weight off of the hitch, then just pull the TV ahead about two feet.
The tow bar will slide out of the reciever, then reinsert your 5/8" locking pin, and your lock on the coupler, and you're all ready to go...

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Back to the hitch - first - thanks, everyone - we FINALLY went with MrPrez's solution - we leave the thing on the truck, put an orange disc golf marker on the ball. Unfortunately we only bought 4 ($1 ea) at Walmart and they are loosing their bright orange color and I can't even find them online anymore. We are much happier "campers" now that we aren't removing it any longer. We're learning :-)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Pretty simple solution, and helps with trailer security also. Just remove the 5/8" pin from the tow bar and hitch receiver, do not unhook the coupler from the ball, but just use the tongue jack to take all the weight off of the hitch, then just pull the TV ahead about two feet.
The tow bar will slide out of the reciever, then reinsert your 5/8" locking pin, and your lock on the coupler, and you're all ready to go...

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Doing as you say could and I have seen it happen, when pulling tv ahead head shank bound in receiver causing trailer to go forward & causing damage to jack etc. not A good idea.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Doing as you say could and I have seen it happen, when pulling tv ahead head shank bound in receiver causing trailer to go forward & causing damage to jack etc. not A good idea.
Most people who do this, have enough sense to watch the "head shank" where it goes into the receiver when the weight is taken off of the ball, the "head shank" will be free, and you can move it by hand.

It's not a good idea, if someone doesn't pay attention to what they are doing.

For whatever it's worth,

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote

« Shocker Hitch | Top | Mikel »