Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
I thought the Equilizer brand hitch had built in sway control, hence nothing to disconnect. Am I confused?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That is correct.
The Equal-I-zer Original 4-point Sway Control Hitch-
The weight distribution and sway control are in the weight bars and L-brackets.
As with conventional sway control hitches with the weight bars and sway control separate, the tighter it is the more weight is distributed to the trailer axles and tow vehicle front axle and the more sway control you have.
Need more?
Add a washer to the hitch head and raise the L-brackets.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #59
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Seriously, if you have an Equal-i-zer hitch you don't need to remove the bars until you unhitch the trailer. Backing up with bars in place is just fine. There are other threads here about how to quiet a noisy Equal-i-zer hitch, btw.

One exception when it might be helpful: If you are parked on a significant side-to-side slope and are putting one side of the trailer on ramps/blocks to level it, you *may* find it helpful to remove the bars before leveling. That's because the trailer and truck will no longer be level relative to each other. That puts a bit of stress on the hitch, which can make it hard to remove bars from one side or the other. It can also make it difficult to put the bars back on until you move the trailer off the ramps/blocks. No big deal, you can experiment to see whether this trick is helpful.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have never removed the bars to back my Equal-I-zer.
That is part of the beauty or glory of it- that you don't have to remove the bars.
I did, however, have to remove the sway bar when backing with the EazLift I owned previously.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Actually on an Eazlift if the sway bar brackets are set up at the right distance, you do not have to remove them. That's from my experience.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hmm...
My sway bar was bending the little ball mount on the hitch head.
Does that mean it was too close?
The ball on the trailer tongue should have been further back?
Seems like that would make it bend in right turn- if the anti-sway bar is mounted on the right side-
Seems like if you turned left too tight you would bend the ant-sway bar...

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Based on the picture he posted, the OP does not have an Equal-i-zer hitch, but a similar one with separate anti-sway bars. He might have to disconnect; Equal-i-zer owners do not.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:52 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That is my assessment.
I mentioned in an earlier post that the hitch in the photo appeared to be an Eaz Elite, which I assumed to be a cousin to the EazLift.
It looked like an EazLift. The ball mount for the sway bar on the hitch head in the photo was bent.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have never removed the bars to back my Equal-I-zer.
That is part of the beauty or glory of it- that you don't have to remove the bars.
I did, however, have to remove the sway bar when backing with the EazLift I owned previously.
As I understand it one of the advantages of the Eaz Lift (or other hitches) with the removable sway device is that it can be removed for adverse road conditions such as rain, snow or ice.

For example, if the tow vehicle under steers or over steers because of poor road conditions you don't want anti-sway on a trailer interfering with your attempt to bring the tow vehicle back under control. This would happen because the trailer with anti-sway would try and keep the rig moving in the direction it is headed, even if that direction is towards the ditch.

As we all know, speed is one of the major factors triggering trailer sway caused by the incipient instability of a trailer, so in these road conditions you would likely be driving more slowly and trailer sway (if the trailer is properly balanced) is much less likely to occur with sway control device removed.

How do you mange adverse during conditions if you can't disconnect the sway device?
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Hmm...
My sway bar was bending the little ball mount on the hitch head.
Does that mean it was too close?
The ball on the trailer tongue should have been further back?
Seems like that would make it bend in right turn- if the anti-sway bar is mounted on the right side-
Seems like if you turned left too tight you would bend the ant-sway bar...

With the vehicle straight, the distance from the ball on the trailer tongue to the sway control ball on the hitch head must be about 25 inches if I remember correctly. Really a nonissue because removing the sway bar only takes ten seconds. I may start removing mine because now you got me thinking. It's so easy to remove them why not, even tnough in three years I've never had a problem.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
If I remember, I take my Eaz-Lift sway bars off when backing. I don't know that it's essential but it makes things a bit smoother. Early on in my Airstream life I did bend one of the little balls on the hitch head when the sway bar was in position. It was very dark and I was trying to put an angle on the trailer that was perhaps a little too acute. Now I know better, I don't put those angles on any more, just re-position until I get a better working angle.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Mine was quiet when it was BRAND new. Like days, not weeks. It stays quiet when it's been lubed but tends to need it after driving in the rain. I LOVE it otherwise. No sway at all. There's plenty of counter steer when a truck passes by but much less noticeable on my shorter wheel base tow vehicle. I hate over analyzing all this stuff but something with chains doesn't appeal to me but something that was faster to unlink and go definitely would. Haven't checked out the Blue Ox but will.
I had an equalizer for 1 year. And yes they are great. However the BlueOx is much better which I have been using for 18 months. It gives you a much softer ride with all the WD and Sway control of the Equalizer. Never will use anything else again. The BO doesn't have metal against metal components and where the bars pivot there is a grease fitting. Even with that, I remove the bars before I back up my 150' driveway where I have to jog the Trailer almost 90 deg. and back into a narrow pad. I find it is far less stress on the hitch, tires and on TV as well in such tight maneuvering. Other than that traveling on the road in and out of parks I never had to remove them.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
I have backed my trailer without the sway bars on several occasions just because I am switching sites at a park and don't want to hassle with the bars. I found it is much more difficult to back the trailer without the bars; so now, I just take the extra time and put them back on. The noise will decrease as the the hitch breaks in, also, lubing the brackets at the hitch with each use makes a huge difference. Not sure what bracket pins your hitch came with, but I upgraded the "L" pins. They have a square bracket that attaches the bars to the brackets instead of a pin. As advertised, that decreased the hitch noise by about 80%, and you don't have to mess with pins. A little pricey, but worth it to me. Also, check the measurements for the placement of the brackets on the A frame. I just upgraded my trailer, and it was super noisy backing up and at slow speeds. Turns out the dealer had not installed the brackets according to specifications. I moved them according to the manual instructions and the noise was virtually eliminated.