Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
I have never taken my Equalizer bars off. I keep everything greased and very little sound.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Like several others on this reply - i remove my anti-sway bar (which is easy and fast), but leave the weight distribution bars on.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Unless the spot I'm backing into raises the nose of the TV or the back of the trailer adding pressure to the bars, requiring more tongue jack lift than normal...I never remove the bars when backing up to park. (Have used both Equalizer and E2 hitches previously)
RinconVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Cazul, do you have an "Equalizer" hitch? If you are adding a sway bar I doubt you own an Equalizer. This is a brand name and not just any generic weight distributing (equalizing) hitch.

I would be very surprised to hear that anyone has bent an Equalizer brand hitch. Please let me know if am wrong. Properly set up you do not need to remove the bars. This was one of the big reasons I bought one way back when. Didn't want to unhook chains or remove friction arms.

The OP was specific with his question. I think he has gotten some good response.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Yes we do this, makes a difference when backing.

For short backups without sharp turns no. However backing into my long driveway or when its really sharp I take it of. It makes it so much smoother.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It is not necessary to remove the bars on the Equal-i-zer.
I never have removed them and have had no ill consequences.
Removing the sway bar is necessary on systems like the EazLift where the friction sway bar is a separate brake shoe thingy that attaches to a small ball beside the trailer ball on the truck end and a small ball on the a-frame of the trailer.
If you do not remove this type of anti sway bar it will bend.
See post number five. I've never taken my eaz lift sway bars off to back, just my exterience.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
To back the trailer from our narrow street I almost have to jack knife it so I remove the WD bars and Sway bar. If the cut into a space at an RV park is not acute I don't.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #28
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Sounds like we have covered this subject. Yes, no, use a, b, c cause it does not need to be removed.

My brother has a Equalizer clone. He bent and broke and twisted the brackets. Usually when backing into a tight spot or trying to turn around in a tight spot.

It likely depends. A smooth normal back-in likely is not problematic. A well setup and lubricated hitch should make a difference.

So, go slow and stop to check what is happening with the hitch, trees, posts, tables, and ...... Folks also suggest rolling forward or back for a few feet when parking to take the stress off the tires on a tandem axle coach. Since we often need to add a leveling block or two that happens as part of the leveling process. We did have one site where the space was so limited that we had to turn all the way in. You do the best you can. Don't hit anything is kind of the do not harm mandate. Go slow, think about it and have fun. If you are stressed, rest a minute and think it through.

PS - if someone like me comes over and trys to help, it may not be helpful to you. It may be harmful as you may be confused by various conflicting inputs. There are folks who can help, but not all of us have that skill. We mean well, really we do. Just tell us you are practicing. You will work it out if you go slow and stay calm.

PPS - sometimes there is just not enough room and you need another site.

PPPS - are you tired enough of this lecture to get on with it and go? Cool!

Travel safe and enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
Hi all -
Newbie with a 2016 FC FB with an Equal-i-zer hitch. I'm wondering how many people remove their anti-sway bars before backing in. I was told this weekend that tight maneuvering with the bars on puts undo stress on the truck frame.

I haven't removed mine yet and while it does make some noise turning while backing in it seems to do ok with the bars on.

Is this good advice?
Thanks
Jamie Bull
Yes. I have equalizer hitch and extremely tight spot to put my 27ft international signature into when at home m removing the bars makes it a lot easier. Try it! Notice the difference
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I missed the part in the Equalizer manual where it said to remove the bars when backing up.

So I don't.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Learned the hard way to disconnect/take off the anti-sway bar...after turning the first one into a pretzel. The WD bars stay on, never had a problem with those. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
I agree with loosening the tension on a friction anti-sway device when backing into a site, or anytime you believe that you will be making acute angle turns at slow speed. Same for leaving a site & making turns to get out. I wait until I'm about to clear the CG & will have TV & trailer aligned before tightening the anti-sway tension.

I've only had 1 operational issue with my Featherlite all aluminium trailer in 7 years of ownership. At a tight Destin, FL CG, the severe turning angles required caused the WD bars to overstress the chain mounts & bent them so much that the WD bars could no longer be used. I limped home in only weight bearing hitch mode, not good!

Lesson taught: could possibly be better to remove the bars if it's going to be tough getting into "your spot".

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Experiences with other brand hitches may not apply to the Equalizer brand hitch, which is what the OP asked about. With the Equalizer brand hitch, the weight distribution bars are also the anti-sway device. You can get away without removing them in many situations but it definitely helps to remove them when there are sharp turns or backing the trailer up or down hill from level. For many other brands of weight distribution hitches the anti sway device is independent of the weight distribution, but I have no experience with them.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
I have an Equalizer hitch and I never remove the bars to back up. No need to.
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: WYO2VA
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Related question. What do you ProPride people do? Do you remove all tension from bars before backing in to parking spot?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Related question. What do you ProPride people do? Do you remove all tension from bars before backing in to parking spot?

No. Backing in to a spot with WD fully engaged is no problem.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I've had my Equalizer hitch on both my 2007 25 ft. Safari and now my 2014 27 (28 ft.) FC. I have backed into MANY tight spots and NEVER considered detaching. It works perfectly as is.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Colonial installed my Equalizer hitch when I bought the trailer, and both they and the instruction manual said that it was not necessary to remove the two bars to back up - so I never have. A little axle grease on the ball, bar sockets, and on each "L" bracket where the bar rubs keeps all smooth and silent.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #39
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Cazul, do you have an "Equalizer" hitch? If you are adding a sway bar I doubt you own an Equalizer. This is a brand name and not just any generic weight distributing (equalizing) hitch.

I would be very surprised to hear that anyone has bent an Equalizer brand hitch. Please let me know if am wrong. Properly set up you do not need to remove the bars. This was one of the big reasons I bought one way back when. Didn't want to unhook chains or remove friction arms.

The OP was specific with his question. I think he has gotten some good response.
Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469592432900.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	267803  
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
It seems like this has been thoroughly voted upon but I have the Equalizer hitch and leave it connected when backing in. I'd consider taking it off for tight maneuvering with very tight turns but it would have to be extreme. You should grease the balls and the L brackets though. People will say otherwise as it reduces the effectiveness of the sway bars but I just can't stand all that creaking, groaning and popping.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote