Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
I have a 30ftFC, pull with a GMC 3/4 Diesel, the dealer mention the Dual Cam he is about to install has #1200 bars, is that too much, should they be #1000?
We have the 1200 lb bars and I think they might be a bit too heavy for ours, and we have an extra battery and giant inverter installed under the couch (i.e., a slightly heavier tongue weight than most 30' Airstreams). If 1000 lb bars are available, I'd go with those, max.

Of course, ideally they'd weigh the tongue to get the actual weight and go from there...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I have a 30ftFC, pull with a GMC 3/4 Diesel, the dealer mention the Dual Cam he is about to install has #1200 bars, is that too much, should they be #1000?
I believe you'd be better off with the 1000# bars, and some might even say 800#, but they might not be able to adequately distribute the weight. Just my opinion, but I'd rather have the Reese SC than the Dual Cam.

Once it's set up, it's a lot less "fiddling" with the sway control cam adjustments because there are none, and works as well, but just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The heavier duty the tow vehicle, the lighter the bar rating should be, in order for proper shifting of weight, AND maximum benefit of the dual cams.

I would suggest that you install 800 pound bars.

Andy
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Why do you have to readjust the DC hitch? I set mine up and have pulled for 40,000 is miles and it is still fine, as best I can tell. I use it on 2 trailers. 800 lb bars on one and 1000 on the longer trailer. What do I look for to see if it needs readjusting?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Why do you have to readjust the DC hitch? I set mine up and have pulled for 40,000 is miles and it is still fine, as best I can tell. I use it on 2 trailers. 800 lb bars on one and 1000 on the longer trailer. What do I look for to see if it needs readjusting?
With the Reese DC any time you significantly change the tongue weight, such as loading a bunch of stuff for a long trip, or going from full to almost empty propane bottles, the cams need to be readjusted to seat perfectly in the indentations in the bars.

And, if the cams do not seat perfectly in the bars, the sway control does not work well, and if they are grossly maladjusted, it can actually contribute to a feeling of looseness in the rig, but not actually sway as in oscillations. The biggest problem I had with my last RDC was that the cams were so difficult to adjust properly, and if you followed Reese's directions exactly, you would never get the adjusted correctly. The older style that used the "U" bolts were much easier to adjust, IMHO.

I wrote some directions for adjusting the newer type cams that may be helpful to you and others here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html
Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hello:

I tow a sailboat with a Reese 66153, the 10K pound version. My total experience is towing a 5,100 pound (empty and dry) boat on a 1,600 pound trailer, once, from the Chesapeake to Colorado. With anchors, chains, tools, and junk I was likely towing ~7,000 pounds. In Kansas, with strong gusty winds off the stern quarter (think ~135 degrees from straight ahead) we experienced no sway. It was very comforting.

Now that we are contemplating an Airstream (23 or 25 foot) I've been wondering about using the same hitch. I haven't made any measurements but it seems that the friction pads will need to be attached to the trailer frame where the propane tanks are. I wonder if that problem has been solved.

thanx,,,
Alan
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome to Airforums

Hello Alan,

Welcome to Airforums! We're glad you found the site.

We are the couple who showed you our 25 foot twin bed model last week. We can't help with questions about the Reese hitch, but we do have another thought about deciding on a trailer floor plan. We found it very helpful to visit a rally during a scheduled open house. This let us see a lot of trailers, and hear from the owners what they did and did not like about their floor plan.

The "DenCO" unit of WBCCI has several rallies scheduled around the state. The first one is the Maintenance Rally in May, which usually has a good turnout and a scheduled open house. The second one is closer to you, at Mountaindale RV resort. The DenCO web site is http://www.wbcci-denco.org/; click on Upcoming Events to see the full schedule.

The Four Corners unit also has a rally scheduled in Colorado; check out 4CU to get more info.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Hello:

I tow a sailboat with a Reese 66153, the 10K pound version. My total experience is towing a 5,100 pound (empty and dry) boat on a 1,600 pound trailer, once, from the Chesapeake to Colorado. With anchors, chains, tools, and junk I was likely towing ~7,000 pounds. In Kansas, with strong gusty winds off the stern quarter (think ~135 degrees from straight ahead) we experienced no sway. It was very comforting.

Now that we are contemplating an Airstream (23 or 25 foot) I've been wondering about using the same hitch. I haven't made any measurements but it seems that the friction pads will need to be attached to the trailer frame where the propane tanks are. I wonder if that problem has been solved.

thanx,,,
Alan
Alan, the friction pad hangers are in perfect position right behind the propane tank base. My hitch came with 1200lb bars and I've switched to 800lb bars and both ride on the friction pads fine.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Newroswell: That is good to know. Our boat trailer was designed to have an 800 pound tongue weight and we have the 800 pound bars.

thanx,,, Alan
Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just a follow-up post on this Reese SC hitch to inform everyone of it's performance after a year of use, and close to 16,000 miles of towing.

The hitch works really well. Distributes the tongue weight well, just like all Reese hitches (I have 100% FAWR with about 1200lbs of tongue weight and using 1200lb bars).

In those 16,000 miles of towing I have not had one instance of a sway, and there is virtually no noise as there is with the Equal-I-zer hitch (similar friction type sway control). I have heard a small amount of a groan when backing the trailer into a parking place, but I've not heard a noise while turning and driving forward. Perhaps the engine and road noise drowns it out.

In summary, it's a good weight distribution with good sway control and there are no cams to adjust. It's not a Hensley or a ProPride, but it's good and I'm happy with it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...FeURMwodknIA0Q