Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Clarification: If read correctly;
SteveH inquired about SC that does NOT incorporate Dual-Cam (DC)
BigPine said his was the same (meaning NOT DC)
Larry C Commented as though BigPine has DC and I don't think he does.

FYI I concur with Larry C, the Reese DC has works great. Its all about the cam in the bars.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Reese SC, and Dual Cam stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
Clarification: If read correctly;
SteveH inquired about SC that does NOT incorporate Dual-Cam (DC)
BigPine said his was the same (meaning NOT DC)
Larry C Commented as though BigPine has DC and I don't think he does.

FYI I concur with Larry C, the Reese DC has works great. Its all about the cam in the bars.
I guess I missed the SC thing. Usually when I hear of creaking a groaning, I think of my first experience with the Reese Dual Cam. Sorry 'bout that, but for those of you who have the DC, remember, Vaseline works great.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, my question is about the new (maybe a couple of years) Reese SC (sway control) hitch, not the Dual Cam hitch.

The Reese SC operates purely on friction similar to the Equalizer hitch, but it uses brake pad material under the bars instead of just metal to metal friction.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I see that now.....I think in principle both Reese products work the same way , the difference being the brake pad as the friction device vs the cam device.

With the DC I don't have to be concerned about the proper amount of pressure on the brake pads.
To each his own, as long as the end result is satisfactory.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
I have an older version of this hitch, and I'm looking to replace it. Though it seems to work ok, it has a habit of grabbing around gradual turns at freeway speeds. I may have it adjusted incorrectly, but the thing is at least 20 years old and the tolerances are really sloppy and its really hard to dial in correctly. I used it to go to Glacier NP and only had one sway incident in Montana and my truck's anti-sway system kicked in and fixed it.

David
Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
I guess I missed the SC thing. Usually when I hear of creaking a groaning, I think of my first experience with the Reese Dual Cam. Sorry 'bout that, but for those of you who have the DC, remember, Vaseline works great.

Larry
Vasoline on Reese dual cam or any type of lubricant on reese dual cam set up is defeating the friction of saddle on bars to snap ups, I have been using since reese first came out with this set up same set orig. pur. they have shown very little wear on cams, yes they groan and make noise that means they are doing job. If used lub. there isn't any sway control, only lube ball and trunnions. Bill
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
DC is not the same as SC. The Cam wants the trailer to be "in a straight line" (thus the name Straight Line) with the TV. As JD pointed out, if it's not straight the cams will apply force. The SC system applies friction to reduce movement. Therefore, there is resistance to sway AND resistance to return to straight. Again, cams apply force to straighten. I decided on the DC because I concluded that it would be better for me to have the AS behind the TV rather than trying to pass it.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Anyone have experience with this Reese SC Weight Distribution with Sway Control system, I would like to hear your impression of the hitch.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66155

I'd check into a little lighter weight bars.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
DC is not the same as SC. The Cam wants the trailer to be "in a straight line" (thus the name Straight Line) with the TV. As JD pointed out, if it's not straight the cams will apply force. The SC system applies friction to reduce movement. Therefore, there is resistance to sway AND resistance to return to straight. Again, cams apply force to straighten. I decided on the DC because I concluded that it would be better for me to have the AS behind the TV rather than trying to pass it.
In the past I've owned and used both the older version and the newer version of the Reese Dual Cam hitch, and when adjusted correctly, they work good. The older version with the cams "U" bolted to the tongue actually worked better.

The newer version is almost impossible to adjust correctly, because the way the instructions say to adjust them won't work because of the twisting load on the cams, and if it's not adjusted absolutely perfectly, actually contributes to sway rather than prevent it. Additionally, if its not adjusted so the cams are at the right amount of drop, the cam arms will be bent when you turn sharply.

The other bad thing about the Dual Cam hitch is every time you significantly change the loading in your trailer, the cams must be readjusted for best performance.

But, I started this thread to ask those who have actually used the new SC Reese about their experiences, not to start yet another "hitch war" thread.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Reese SD W/D Sway Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Vasoline on Reese dual cam or any type of lubricant on reese dual cam set up is defeating the friction of saddle on bars to snap ups, I have been using since reese first came out with this set up same set orig. pur. they have shown very little wear on cams, yes they groan and make noise that means they are doing job. If used lub. there isn't any sway control, only lube ball and trunnions.Bill
Well Bill, I think you should take a look at the Reese D/C owners manual. They recommend a light coating of Vaseline not only to minimize the "creaking and groaning", but also to eliminate galling of the metal to metal contact points of the cams. They specifically mention NOT to use a high pressure grease, such as bearing grease.
Vaseline does not decrease the sway control, the sway control is dependent on the proper amount of tension on the WD, bars. On the ball, a lithium grease is fine, and on the trunnions, a light oil, such as 3 in 1, is fine.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I stand corrected about vasoline on cams as I never had owners manual, it was not provided by dealer or it is later item provided with hitch , as my dc is from 70's era Reese also sold a small bottle of oil that was very stiff to use on ball & trunnions. I now use lith. on ball & heavy oil such as chain saw oil on trunnions when I miss lay my Reese bottle Bill
Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I stand corrected about vasoline on cams as I never had owners manual, it was not provided by dealer or it is later item provided with hitch , as my dc is from 70's era Reese also sold a small bottle of oil that was very stiff to use on ball & trunnions. I now use lith. on ball & heavy oil such as chain saw oil on trunnions when I miss lay my Reese bottle Bill
Bill, I had the old style Reese that I had used for years, and it performed very well. When I started using the DC, I had it set up by "Dan's Hitches" in Elkhart, Indiana when we lived there. Dan is one of the oldest, (perhaps the oldest) Reese dealer in the country. He first told me about the Vaseline truck, and I think it was due to his suggestion that it's mentioned in the owners manual.
The only reason I bought the new style is, when I sold my SOB trailer, the new owner wanted the hitch with the deal....
Have a good day
Larry

Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I now have approximately 1000 miles towing with this Reese SC hitch, and feel somewhat qualified to report on it's performance and setup.

The hitch is very simple to install, is not too heavy, but sort of a PITA to setup, however once setup, holds the setting without issue.

The weight distribution works very well, and easily returns the unhitched weight to the front axle of the TV. The ride is good with minimal porpoising...much less than some of the previous hitches I've used. I would rate the effectiveness of the sway control as good....seems at least equal to the Dual Cam and the new Andersen, with no noises associated with the hitch when turning. In my 1K miles of towing, there was never any indication of an attempt to sway, and those miles were a mix of high speed interstate/highway driving, as well as mountain driving.

The down side of the hitch in my opinion is the weight distribution adjustment, as the fine tuning is done with hitch head tilt adjustment, and uses the current standard Reese toothed washers against the toothed head. Of course, this is a trial and error type of thing, but once you have the adjustment done, it will not change.

Hitching and unhitching does require heavy use of the electric tongue jack.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I have a 30ftFC, pull with a GMC 3/4 Diesel, the dealer mention the Dual Cam he is about to install has #1200 bars, is that too much, should they be #1000?