Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
DC is not the same as SC. The Cam wants the trailer to be "in a straight line" (thus the name Straight Line) with the TV. As JD pointed out, if it's not straight the cams will apply force. The SC system applies friction to reduce movement. Therefore, there is resistance to sway AND resistance to return to straight. Again, cams apply force to straighten. I decided on the DC because I concluded that it would be better for me to have the AS behind the TV rather than trying to pass it.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Anyone have experience with this Reese SC Weight Distribution with Sway Control system, I would like to hear your impression of the hitch.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66155

I'd check into a little lighter weight bars.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
DC is not the same as SC. The Cam wants the trailer to be "in a straight line" (thus the name Straight Line) with the TV. As JD pointed out, if it's not straight the cams will apply force. The SC system applies friction to reduce movement. Therefore, there is resistance to sway AND resistance to return to straight. Again, cams apply force to straighten. I decided on the DC because I concluded that it would be better for me to have the AS behind the TV rather than trying to pass it.
In the past I've owned and used both the older version and the newer version of the Reese Dual Cam hitch, and when adjusted correctly, they work good. The older version with the cams "U" bolted to the tongue actually worked better.

The newer version is almost impossible to adjust correctly, because the way the instructions say to adjust them won't work because of the twisting load on the cams, and if it's not adjusted absolutely perfectly, actually contributes to sway rather than prevent it. Additionally, if its not adjusted so the cams are at the right amount of drop, the cam arms will be bent when you turn sharply.

The other bad thing about the Dual Cam hitch is every time you significantly change the loading in your trailer, the cams must be readjusted for best performance.

But, I started this thread to ask those who have actually used the new SC Reese about their experiences, not to start yet another "hitch war" thread.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Reese SD W/D Sway Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Vasoline on Reese dual cam or any type of lubricant on reese dual cam set up is defeating the friction of saddle on bars to snap ups, I have been using since reese first came out with this set up same set orig. pur. they have shown very little wear on cams, yes they groan and make noise that means they are doing job. If used lub. there isn't any sway control, only lube ball and trunnions.Bill
Well Bill, I think you should take a look at the Reese D/C owners manual. They recommend a light coating of Vaseline not only to minimize the "creaking and groaning", but also to eliminate galling of the metal to metal contact points of the cams. They specifically mention NOT to use a high pressure grease, such as bearing grease.
Vaseline does not decrease the sway control, the sway control is dependent on the proper amount of tension on the WD, bars. On the ball, a lithium grease is fine, and on the trunnions, a light oil, such as 3 in 1, is fine.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I stand corrected about vasoline on cams as I never had owners manual, it was not provided by dealer or it is later item provided with hitch , as my dc is from 70's era Reese also sold a small bottle of oil that was very stiff to use on ball & trunnions. I now use lith. on ball & heavy oil such as chain saw oil on trunnions when I miss lay my Reese bottle Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I stand corrected about vasoline on cams as I never had owners manual, it was not provided by dealer or it is later item provided with hitch , as my dc is from 70's era Reese also sold a small bottle of oil that was very stiff to use on ball & trunnions. I now use lith. on ball & heavy oil such as chain saw oil on trunnions when I miss lay my Reese bottle Bill
Bill, I had the old style Reese that I had used for years, and it performed very well. When I started using the DC, I had it set up by "Dan's Hitches" in Elkhart, Indiana when we lived there. Dan is one of the oldest, (perhaps the oldest) Reese dealer in the country. He first told me about the Vaseline truck, and I think it was due to his suggestion that it's mentioned in the owners manual.
The only reason I bought the new style is, when I sold my SOB trailer, the new owner wanted the hitch with the deal....
Have a good day
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I now have approximately 1000 miles towing with this Reese SC hitch, and feel somewhat qualified to report on it's performance and setup.

The hitch is very simple to install, is not too heavy, but sort of a PITA to setup, however once setup, holds the setting without issue.

The weight distribution works very well, and easily returns the unhitched weight to the front axle of the TV. The ride is good with minimal porpoising...much less than some of the previous hitches I've used. I would rate the effectiveness of the sway control as good....seems at least equal to the Dual Cam and the new Andersen, with no noises associated with the hitch when turning. In my 1K miles of towing, there was never any indication of an attempt to sway, and those miles were a mix of high speed interstate/highway driving, as well as mountain driving.

The down side of the hitch in my opinion is the weight distribution adjustment, as the fine tuning is done with hitch head tilt adjustment, and uses the current standard Reese toothed washers against the toothed head. Of course, this is a trial and error type of thing, but once you have the adjustment done, it will not change.

Hitching and unhitching does require heavy use of the electric tongue jack.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I have a 30ftFC, pull with a GMC 3/4 Diesel, the dealer mention the Dual Cam he is about to install has #1200 bars, is that too much, should they be #1000?
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
I have a 30ftFC, pull with a GMC 3/4 Diesel, the dealer mention the Dual Cam he is about to install has #1200 bars, is that too much, should they be #1000?
We have the 1200 lb bars and I think they might be a bit too heavy for ours, and we have an extra battery and giant inverter installed under the couch (i.e., a slightly heavier tongue weight than most 30' Airstreams). If 1000 lb bars are available, I'd go with those, max.

Of course, ideally they'd weigh the tongue to get the actual weight and go from there...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I believe you'd be better off with the 1000# bars, and some might even say 800#, but they might not be able to adequately distribute the weight. Just my opinion, but I'd rather have the Reese SC than the Dual Cam.

Once it's set up, it's a lot less "fiddling" with the sway control cam adjustments because there are none, and works as well, but just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The heavier duty the tow vehicle, the lighter the bar rating should be, in order for proper shifting of weight, AND maximum benefit of the dual cams.

I would suggest that you install 800 pound bars.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Why do you have to readjust the DC hitch? I set mine up and have pulled for 40,000 is miles and it is still fine, as best I can tell. I use it on 2 trailers. 800 lb bars on one and 1000 on the longer trailer. What do I look for to see if it needs readjusting?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Why do you have to readjust the DC hitch? I set mine up and have pulled for 40,000 is miles and it is still fine, as best I can tell. I use it on 2 trailers. 800 lb bars on one and 1000 on the longer trailer. What do I look for to see if it needs readjusting?
With the Reese DC any time you significantly change the tongue weight, such as loading a bunch of stuff for a long trip, or going from full to almost empty propane bottles, the cams need to be readjusted to seat perfectly in the indentations in the bars.

And, if the cams do not seat perfectly in the bars, the sway control does not work well, and if they are grossly maladjusted, it can actually contribute to a feeling of looseness in the rig, but not actually sway as in oscillations. The biggest problem I had with my last RDC was that the cams were so difficult to adjust properly, and if you followed Reese's directions exactly, you would never get the adjusted correctly. The older style that used the "U" bolts were much easier to adjust, IMHO.

I wrote some directions for adjusting the newer type cams that may be helpful to you and others here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html
Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hello:

I tow a sailboat with a Reese 66153, the 10K pound version. My total experience is towing a 5,100 pound (empty and dry) boat on a 1,600 pound trailer, once, from the Chesapeake to Colorado. With anchors, chains, tools, and junk I was likely towing ~7,000 pounds. In Kansas, with strong gusty winds off the stern quarter (think ~135 degrees from straight ahead) we experienced no sway. It was very comforting.

Now that we are contemplating an Airstream (23 or 25 foot) I've been wondering about using the same hitch. I haven't made any measurements but it seems that the friction pads will need to be attached to the trailer frame where the propane tanks are. I wonder if that problem has been solved.

thanx,,,
Alan
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome to Airforums

Hello Alan,

Welcome to Airforums! We're glad you found the site.

We are the couple who showed you our 25 foot twin bed model last week. We can't help with questions about the Reese hitch, but we do have another thought about deciding on a trailer floor plan. We found it very helpful to visit a rally during a scheduled open house. This let us see a lot of trailers, and hear from the owners what they did and did not like about their floor plan.

The "DenCO" unit of WBCCI has several rallies scheduled around the state. The first one is the Maintenance Rally in May, which usually has a good turnout and a scheduled open house. The second one is closer to you, at Mountaindale RV resort. The DenCO web site is http://www.wbcci-denco.org/; click on Upcoming Events to see the full schedule.

The Four Corners unit also has a rally scheduled in Colorado; check out 4CU to get more info.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #36
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Hello:

I tow a sailboat with a Reese 66153, the 10K pound version. My total experience is towing a 5,100 pound (empty and dry) boat on a 1,600 pound trailer, once, from the Chesapeake to Colorado. With anchors, chains, tools, and junk I was likely towing ~7,000 pounds. In Kansas, with strong gusty winds off the stern quarter (think ~135 degrees from straight ahead) we experienced no sway. It was very comforting.

Now that we are contemplating an Airstream (23 or 25 foot) I've been wondering about using the same hitch. I haven't made any measurements but it seems that the friction pads will need to be attached to the trailer frame where the propane tanks are. I wonder if that problem has been solved.

thanx,,,
Alan
Alan, the friction pad hangers are in perfect position right behind the propane tank base. My hitch came with 1200lb bars and I've switched to 800lb bars and both ride on the friction pads fine.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Newroswell: That is good to know. Our boat trailer was designed to have an 800 pound tongue weight and we have the 800 pound bars.

thanx,,, Alan
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just a follow-up post on this Reese SC hitch to inform everyone of it's performance after a year of use, and close to 16,000 miles of towing.

The hitch works really well. Distributes the tongue weight well, just like all Reese hitches (I have 100% FAWR with about 1200lbs of tongue weight and using 1200lb bars).

In those 16,000 miles of towing I have not had one instance of a sway, and there is virtually no noise as there is with the Equal-I-zer hitch (similar friction type sway control). I have heard a small amount of a groan when backing the trailer into a parking place, but I've not heard a noise while turning and driving forward. Perhaps the engine and road noise drowns it out.

In summary, it's a good weight distribution with good sway control and there are no cams to adjust. It's not a Hensley or a ProPride, but it's good and I'm happy with it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...FeURMwodknIA0Q
Old 03-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Allen , Texas
I had a Reese with the cam system for anti sway on my 2004 28’ with SO. It worked very well. In fact, I may be replacing my current EQualizer with the Reese. If the trailer sways, the tapered WD arms travel up the cam. Since they are tapered, the farther up they go, the stiffer they get which resists sway.
mikez98072 is offline   Reply With Quote