Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Reese hitch or Equalizer hitch?

We have a 24ft Argosy with a weight about 3500 lbs....it did not come with anything but the regular ball type....we are needing to get some type of sway control so that when the DH is away I will be (trying to be brave) and pull him by myself. I would love to get the Pro-Pride hitch but have too many other project for Whitie right now to put that money into the hitch. I know there are bunches of topics on hitches, but I would like some experience in the opions that I get! Thanks!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
You'll get lots of opinions. Here is mine.

I tow a 1963 Trade Wind 24' which weighs 4400 lbs. (loaded). I use an Equalizer and have had no sway problems, even in strong cross winds. It is very easy to hook up, and I have not had the rivet popping some have claimed. I do have a new Henschen axle however.

I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, so it is not as stiff a suspension as a truck.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
hitch search

There are a bazillion threads on hitches. Do a search and start reading. There are also a bazillion opinions on all of the hitches. Best thing to do is research first!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
yeah, I have been reading the different IMHO's, read them till my eyes crossed.....It seems to me that it is a love hate thing...will all of them....my biggest concern is getting the sway control on this before I attemp to pull it my self....I have towed our other SOB(Trailmanor) but that was alot smaller and I could actually see behind me....so I am really needing something that I can trust.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I've towed with them both and they both perform very well. However, my nod goes toward the Reese Dual Cam for several reasons.

With the Reese the only thing you can really lose is the breaker bar. With the Equil-i-zer there are lots of cotter pins and small stuff to drop in the grass. Those small parts also make it more difficult to hitch while wearing gloves in the cold.

The Reese Dual Cam setup is also a little "smarter" in that the hitch knows which alignment is straight and the pressure on the cams is constantly trying to bring you back to straight alignment. The Equil-i-zer just uses brute force and friction and it takes just as much force to get you back into alignment as it does to get out of alignment.

The Reese is also easier to add or subtract a little weight distribution. When I load up the bed of the truck with extra firewood I can just add one more chain link of weight distribution while hitching up the Reese. The Equil-i-zer requires a wrench.

Hope that helps.