Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #29
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
A dealership requiring a "release" to be signed isn't all that uncommon. It is becoming more and more common.

The dealership ALWAYS gets a piece of the liability in a sway accident. That's just the world we live in. The irony is that the "release" probably won't do much good if something did occur because the case would be settled long before the "release" would help.

ProPride Hitch
"The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination"
Grand Blanc, MI
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #30
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
[QUOTE I just purchased a new Dodge Ram Hemi with built in sway control and did not think I needed such. The tongue and trailer weight are both in the middle of my truck's capacity and I presently tow without a w/d or sway control.
Is this true, that you must use one if you tow an airstream?[/QUOTE]

I'll write this only a bit jokingly: What does your Dodge Owners Manual say in regards Tongue Weight, Weight Distribution and such behind that Hemi . . jokingly because my poor little 3/4T Cummins requires a WD Hitch when TW exceeds 350lbs, (even if it is just a loaded landscape trailer; trailer type is irrelevant) according to the 2004 Owners Manual.

It would never occur to me to move a trailer where a WDH (with antisway) could be used since the experience is so much better (by any definition). Let go of any irritation and look forward to making your rig as roadworthy as possible. And that possibility can be realized on this forum by reading threads and asking questions as you verify your hitch rigging with weight scale numbers.

The day I took my 34' trailer 100 miles to have a Hensley installed was done without antisway connected, and the WDH was disconnected. It took, I found, the exact same motions (on an abbreviated time/distance scale) to "twitch" the back of that trailer into other traffic lanes as it did when I pulled a 53' flatbed or van when over-the-road as a professional driver.

With the proper hitch I could no more shake that trailer loose than I could my own shadow.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
Someone once told me (but I cannot confirm) that you can be convicted of vehicular manslaughter if you are in an accident pulling a trailer with an under-rated hitch set up. We towed our first TT home (33' Flagstaff) with a 2007 1/2 crew cab GMC. No WD setup or sway bars. Fortunately it was only 50 miles home and we averaged about 45 mph. Truck was squatting like crazy. Learned our lesson quickly. Now have a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban and Reese DC Straightline. Picking up our 2007 25' Safari SE on Monday . Can't wait to get a real "home away from home" and turn heads while we travel !! Will retain the Reese system, dealer is transfering over to our Safari for us.

Clyde-2 is offline   Reply With Quote