Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley View Post
After driving to Colonial Airstream and seeing first hand the quality of these trailers I sat down to talk about purchasing. After the initial money shock I was told I needed a w/d with sway control for another $900 to tow my new airstream. I just purchased a new Dodge Ram Hemi with built in sway control and did not think I needed such. The sales person said that I'd have to sign all kinds of disclaimers if I towed a new airstream without? Even with shocks the trailer would bounce all over the road?
The tongue and trailer weight are both in the middle of my truck's capacity and I presently tow with out a w/d nor sway control.
Is this true, that you must use one if you tow an airstream?
Be safe and go with the WD/Sway control. Make sure it is set up properly with both the truck and trailer loaded to travel. Mine was setup incorrectly since I did not have the trailer and truck loaded for travel. Only pickup and towing home.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Reese dual sway and w/d hitch

For new Reese hardware with installation and setup, the $900.00 price is not that bad if you take Camping World as a middle-ground for price. The current price for a Reese Strait Line Hitch is $599.99 (President's Club Price). Three hours is just about what time it took the technician to install and adjust the Strait Line hitch on my Cadillac -- this was at my favorite Airstream dealership (now authorized service center) and the job was performed with great accuracy. This was just a little more than seven years ago and the cost was just short of $800.00 -- this also included wiring in a new trailer connector on the car.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you look at E trailer
etrailer.com - 66072

You will see part number 66072 system with 600 lbs. bars for $524.00. You would have to add a shank to that depending on the truck/trailer height difference. They ship for free.

If you use a Reese Straight Line system send me a PM for some tips on set up.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
A negotiating trick I like to use is to have the price of the item (at dealer cost) included in the deal, and ask the dealership to eat the labor to install it. Most will to make the sale.

Roger
Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
There is not 1 Airstream hat is delivered from the factory with the use of wd hitch. I live near 3 large rv dealers that deliver trailers of all sizes and they are using f250's with nothing more than the ball hitch, I have a 28' safari with a dealer installed wd hitch, I have driven my trailer on the interstate with and without the bars and have been able to detect no difference other than it tows without making all kinds of noise without the bars. My TV is and f250 crewcab short box and do not believe my hitch makes any difference. However i believe your dodge is a 1/2 ton and a little lite in the weight dept. I would buy the trailer and tow it, if you find you need a WD hitch with sway control do it yourself. there are many for sale in the used market, many for under 300.00, or look for a used hensley arrow what many consider the best, you can usually find them for 1200 -/+ on the used market and install it yourself. Side note, if you are married, do what ever she tells you to do, thats why i have my equalizer hitch
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Bob, I live very close to I-80, and I take it pretty regularly. I see all kinds of RVs being towed by delivery companies taking them from Elkhart Indiana to destinations west. Many of them I've seen are unsafe as evidenced by their propensity to sway (these are new, white box trailers), and IMHO shouldn't be on the road. Some of them are fine. Some of them have HUGE 5th wheel trailers on 3/4 ton trucks that should clearly be on a 1 ton dually. The tow with what they drive, whether the setup is suitable or safe or not.

I'm not too sure I'd be really quick use RV delivery folks as a shining example of what to do or not do.

Roger
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Bob, I live very close to I-80, and I take it pretty regularly. I see all kinds of RVs being towed by delivery companies taking them from Elkhart Indiana to destinations west. Many of them I've seen are unsafe as evidenced by their propensity to sway (these are new, white box trailers), and IMHO shouldn't be on the road. Some of them are fine. Some of them have HUGE 5th wheel trailers on 3/4 ton trucks that should clearly be on a 1 ton dually. The tow with what they drive, whether the setup is suitable or safe or not.

I'm not too sure I'd be really quick use RV delivery folks as a shining example of what to do or not do.

Roger
I agree, however my point is that I do not think they have wrecks on a routine basis or they would choose a different setup. I have had mine on I4 at 70+ without sway bars and have had no problems. My truck is bigger than a dodge ram but than again his unit is smaller, unless he is going to be doing a lot of interstate driving he should be fine. He can at least pick up his trailer and find out if there is too much sway for him, at 900.00 he can get a hitch installed anywhere. All opinions expressed are from my own experience and should be viewed as such, when I was not retired I drove about 45,000 miles a year so I might feel more comfortable in situations that make others nervous.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About the Reese Dual Cam

I own a late model Reese Dual Cam hitch and use it to tow my '01 25' Excella with a 1/2 ton GMC Ex Cab pickup, and although it's finally working good, I would recommend another brand/model of hitch.

IMHO, the RDC hitch is just too difficult to get setup and adjusted properly, and if it's not adjusted properly, the dual cam sway control is just there for looks and ballast.

You see, in years past I had the earlier model of the hitch...the one where the cam plates were bolted to the "A" frame with "U" bolts, and it worked great, and was easy to adjust, so I naturally assumed the newer updated model would be the same, or better. It is not. Believe me when I say if you follow Reese's instructions on how to adjust the cams, it will not work correctly.

I worked with my hitch off and on for about 9 months before I figured out a procedure to adjust the cams that would work and make the anti-sway portion of the hitch work the way it was supposed to. I have a very short thread on this section of the forum that explains my "procedure" in detail if you want to look it up.

If I were doing it all over, I would probably buy a ProPride, and be done with it. Yes, they are expensive, but so was 9 months of my time fiddeling with the RDC.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Just when did how fast you can go became a criteria for how safe your rig is?

NO dealership will take the time too set your rig up properly.

When I decided on the Hensley I was very concerned about all the talk about how hard it was to get set-up correctly and the time it would take to hitch-up.

Read the Manual twice before installing.

After using measurements to get the preliminary settings, and a trip to the scales fully loaded, no other adjustments, with the exception of the jack bars, to compensate for varying weights to get the trailer level have been necessary.

10min alone yesterday hooking-up to move on the pad, familiarity=proficiency.

This isn't Rocket Science after all, do your homework, learn the proper methods for the system you are using. If your not comfortable while on the road or getting there isn't enjoyable, what's the point?

Stream Safe

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Palukaville , Delaware
Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just my opinion, but if the dealer is trying to get you to sign disclaimers, they are probably just trying to sell you a hitch. This doesn't mean that you don't need one or wouldn't benefit from using one, but I think this dealer is just trying to pad the deal.

If it were me, I'd shop around for another Airstream dealer, or at least another hitch installer if you decide that you need a w/d hitch.
I shopped the entire USA for our Airstream.

We purchased from Colonial Airstream simply because they knew what they were doing and knew how to take care of their customers.

Oh ya, we were living on the left (west) coast at the time. We drove the 3,000 miles to New Jersey to pick up our new trailer.

As for their asking people to sign forms related to hitches and their vehicles, I could not DISAGREE WITH YOU MORE!

They do this to ensure that their customers have some sort of clue about the ramifications of towing a trailer.

They do this to ensure that their customers have bothered to look at the towing capacity of their proposed tow vehicle.

They do this so their customers will understand what hitch options are available to them and to give them the opportunity to learn about hitch systems.

They do indeed install hitch systems.

I purchased my hitch on line because I could get it cheaper. They installed it. I could not find anyone who would install the Reese Dual Cam hitch for a better price.

IMNSHO Colonial Airstream is one class act.

They treat their customers very well both before and after the sale. Wish the same could be said for Airstream dealers in the Pacific North West.

Buckaroo, who apologies for the emotion in this post...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #25
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Stream Safe
Actually, Robert, Kramer's Kampers north of Chicago did exactly that for us when we bought the Bigfoot... and they did it as part of the deal. It was a great experience, and the tow home was awesome.

Roger
Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Reese dual sway and w/d hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa did an excellent install job on my Reese Dual Cams/Strait-Line Hitch on my Cadillac, and they made the fine adjustments to the Reese Dual Cams/Strait-Line Hitch on my Suburban. The only time that I have had to tamper with my hitch is when I have repainted the hitches. (The Cadillac was setup with my Minuet while the Suburban was setup with my Suburban)

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #27
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
(. . . . . the Suburban was setup with my Suburban)

Kevin
I'm sure glad we got that figured out. .
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Actually, Robert, Kramer's Kampers north of Chicago did exactly that for us when we bought the Bigfoot... and they did it as part of the deal. It was a great experience, and the tow home was awesome.

Roger
EXACLTY, and I'm sure your not alone in that regard.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote