Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having listened to Andy a few years ago, I too had 1000lb bars and found the dual cam did not respond as well as it did when I was using them on a softer non 3/4 ton truck. I went down to the 800lb bars, then the 600lb bars and the effectiveness of the dual cam increased as the bar values decreased (800 to 600). I would suggest that you follow Andy's advice.

It is one of the first things I noticed when I saw your pics.

BTW, love the website and the name.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I thought they came from MO. No time this past weekend. Not heading out again for at least a month. I keep the rig in storage so heading down to hitch up is a half day project. Soon.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble Can View Post
How did the 600lb bars work.I have a 31' that has 1000lb bars now. Thinking about
changing to 600lb.

Thanks

Mike
The formula is simple.

With your trailer, what rating bars you should use, is a function of the tow vehicle.

A large size car = 1000 pound bars.

A 1/2 ton truck, without any overloads = 750 pound bars.

A 1/2 ton truck with overloads and all 3/4 ton or more tow vehicles = 550 pound bars.

You will typically find the same results as in post # 43 above.

Andy
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
Thanks Andy, I have a F-250. I will order the 550lb bars tomorrow.

Mike
Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think my bars may need to be changed. I have the 800# bars that I used on the 1/2 ton Expy for the 25' Classic but now we have a 3/4 ton Suburban. To pull the 27' Classic FB now from this infomation I am thinking I am supposed to be using the 600# bars, is that correct?

What supplier are you ordering from? Are these hard to find?

The dealer sent us out with 1200# on the Expy with a 23' Signature International and we downsized those to 800# Is that proper now?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
Wheel,
I use Hitches 4 Less. They are in Georgia so it takes about two days to get stuff to me in Alabama.
They have a complete line of Reese.

Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Odd as this may sound, I bought my Reese bars used of eBay. I paid something like $30 or $40 for a set of 800s and then I think I paid $45 for the 600s. It's hard to mess these up, and so far using eBay has been a pretty good exp...your results may vary, but both sets of bars were far less exp than going even though a web retailer.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #50
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Non-Integrated Cam Bars Source?

Hi,
Sounds like my 1200 lb. bars (1.375") should be swapped for 600 lb. version (F350 & 30' Excella). The bars I have are the non-integrated cam type trunions. Where can I find these in the 600 lb. size? Is there a sleeve I could use to re-assemble the existing trunion castings and cams on the straight replacement spring bars?

Walt
Old 07-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #51
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
Hello,

I spoke to Reese today and the Representative said to refer to the chart in their catalog for selecting hitch bars. He also stated that the tow vehicles size, weight class and maximum allowed hitch weight were irrelevant to determining which size hitch bars to use.

See Attached
Old 07-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
So what does the Mother Ship say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
I spoke to Reese today and the Representative ... stated that the tow vehicles size, weight class and maximum allowed hitch weight were irrelevant to determining which size hitch bars to use.
I disagree with what Reese told you.

While I am by no means an expert in this field, I did study what is involved in college and I agree with the words the other Airstream Dealer contributed to this thread.

So now we have two Airstream dealers saying two different things.

While it would be greatly appreciated to read what Jackson Center, Ohio's engineering response to spring bars is, my personal advice to anyone who reads this thread is to take the tow vehicle into consideration when selecting a hitch.

Tom
Old 07-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Andy,
I have anF-250,Super Duty,Super,4x4,7.3 Power Stroke. Year 2002. Our AS is an Safari 28 SO year 2003. The Hitch WT. is 1250 LB. This I got right out of the 2003 AS brochure. I use the Reese Dual Cam. The wt, distribution bars are 1700 lbs. From what I'm reading my bars rea way to heavy. What do you recommend.
Thank You
Eric
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #54
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though following the Reese chart I should be at the 800 ballpark, the reality I found from the threads on the forum referring to being "overhitched" was that I could get by with the 600lb bars. As I said earlier, having a very soft suspension my 1000lb bars did the trick. But with the far more stout 3/4 ton, after trials and about 8000 road miles, I found that in my case, with my 25 footer and a 2004 3/4 ton Suburban, that the 600lb bars provided me the best possible user experience with the dual cam system. I have had 2 incidents on the highway where I had to really do some things I would not normally do. With my current setup, the Airstream and the truck felt like they were one piece of metal, just solid. The evasive maneuvers were a piece of cake. Sway on the highway is non-existent and high winds....bring it on.

For an example (I don't believe these are the 600lb bars) here is how I got mine. As you can see, even if the price went to $50, plus shipping, buying a good set of bars of eBay, from a reputable seller can save you a BUNCH of $$$. I bought both my 800s and 600s off eBay and sold my 1200lb bars. The key is to get the trunnion style with the bend at the end, that are the lower lb rating (depending on your vehicle).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reese-10-000-sway-load-distributing-bars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQihZ016QQite mZ260266400406QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 07-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
There is a disturbance in the force

Get ready, folks, I sense a post of magnitude from a well-established individual coming...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Reese chart

In simple terms, that chart is so misleading that's it's less that pitiful, as well as what one of their staff members said.

According to the chart, if I had a 31 foot Airstream, with 1000 pounds tongue weight, I should use 1700 pound rated bars, since they said the tow vehicle doesn't matter.

WOW.

I use a Peterbilt truck and according to the chart I should use a 1700 set of bars.

How totally ridiculus.

I did a lengthy post a few minutes ago, and some how, it disappeared.

Reese is so wrong with that chart and their statement, that they really need to learn what an Airstream is, AND to find out what causes loss of control accidents.

I PERSONALLY, INVESTIGATED OVER 1000 (ONE THOUSAND) OF THEM AND HAD TO PROVE THE RESULTS.

Over hitching was one of the contributors of the losses, plus, as we know today, is a huge contributor towards damaging the trailer and it's contents.

Interesting enough, some owners have recently dropped the rating of the torsion bars.

They all have report better handling, a softer ride for themselves, and that things were no longer scattered about within the trailer.

I tangled with Reese many years ago, and got them to back off.

Perhaps I should tangle with them again, and show them how wrong their advice is at this point.

The simple laws of Pyhsics says different from what Reese says.

Sales people and many dealers could care less of how
some owners trailer and tow vehicle are rigged. That certainly was true over 40 years ago and is still true today.

Unfortunately, many sales people and some dealer owners, are more concerned about "profit" and not the owners safety.

Reese HAS NEVER, EVER, Investigated loss of control accidents involving Airstream trailers.

Perhaps their chart works for brand X, but it certainly is a farce when it comes to Airstream rigging.

Common sense tell you that the type of tow vehicle, is extremely import, for proper rigging.

And so the saga continues.

How utterly sad.

Andy