Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
OK!!!

I am always reluctant to start something because I don't want to waste people's time but in this instance I really felt compelled to affirm that I was doing the right thing or have the error of my ways explained to me. I could not be happier about the feedback that this thread has generated.

Now, with someone else gaining from it as well I feel that I have done the right thing...

Jim
Jim.

Now it's up to you, to complete the circle of knowledge.

You experienced the not too pleasant, and have agreed to try the suggested changes.

When you do, please make a post, describing the before, and the afters.

Many here I am sure, are standing by, awaiting your post.

Your open and fair findings, will be much appreciated, by those "that don't know," but many of whom were led to believe something that is pure fiction.

Hitch rigging, is basic Physics, nothing more.

Perhaps you can assist helping others correct the gross over hitching, which always leads to trailer damages.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Why do the hitch installers at Airstream dealers continue to provide oversized WD bars? Is it a lack of training or poor instructions from Reese? My latest A/S purchase included a new Reese DC setup with 1200# bars for a 31' Excella towing with an Excursion. I question that I am way overhitched. Why do I put faith in the experts (dealer) that they will properly provide and install a hitch. When I picked up my trailer, I questioned the 1200# bars and was told that was what was required. The previous trailer was a 32' and had 1000# bars. The industry is providing a complete disservice. I guess it is up to the customer to be the expert.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it all boils down to $$$. the dealer first sells the parts and makes money. then, you needs things fixed and sells the parts and makes money. followed by, finding the right parts, sells the parts and makes money. as long as there is no penalty for doing this, there is no $$$ reason to do it right the first time. it's sad.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen View Post
Why do the hitch installers at Airstream dealers continue to provide oversized WD bars? Is it a lack of training or poor instructions from Reese? My latest A/S purchase included a new Reese DC setup with 1200# bars for a 31' Excella towing with an Excursion. I question that I am way overhitched. Why do I put faith in the experts (dealer) that they will properly provide and install a hitch. When I picked up my trailer, I questioned the 1200# bars and was told that was what was required. The previous trailer was a 32' and had 1000# bars. The industry is providing a complete disservice. I guess it is up to the customer to be the expert.
"MOST DEALERS, DON'T HAVE A CLUE", except for the color of your check book.

And for that matter, most dealers CANNOT tell you, in any sensible deatil, how a load works, and why.

Physics is the answer, and all too many of them, can't even spell the word, let alone know what it means.

Complete "disservice," you bet.

I wonder how many of them realize that they create a huge liability for themselves, when they install a load equalizing hitch, that is absolutely wrong. Let someone get hurt, or even damage their trailer, then turn around and sue the dealer that made that absolute wrong decision, and the RV trailering world, would change in a very short fashion.

38 years ago, the insurance division of Airstream, and myself, set out to assertain what is a correct rating for a particular setup, and why.

We had all to many "loss of control" accidents, of which we proved, again and again, that 90 percent of them could have been avoided.

That's far more than enough data to get the real attention, even from the historic doubters.

Perhaps I should write an article for the Forums, for everyones interest and well being.

I fully understand, that there will be some replies to the above statements, especially from those few who absolutely believe that a load equalizing hitch. is a waste of money.

We all believe that there are many societies in our world, that place no value on life, theirs or anyone elses as well.

Unfortunately, there are some RV ers, towing trailers, that are charter members of those societies.

I am being very harsh, with intent and purpose.

Wake up RVers that tow trailers!!!!

You cannot and will not change the laws of Physics, in spite of your determination, and fool hardy lack of proper safety decisions.

There's no magic to it. It's just common sense.

Unfortuantely, all to many have been injured, maimed, inconvenienced, killed, and forced to spend extra money, because of being mis-informed by supposed hitch installers, as well as RV sales people.

Andy
Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

How about the Hensley hitch, can the spring bars be too stiff? My rig (28 ft Classic and 2500 hd) is very harsh on bumps.
CACTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUS View Post
How about the Hensley hitch, can the spring bars be too stiff? My rig (28 ft Classic and 2500 hd) is very harsh on bumps.
Yes, same problem.

Andy
Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
New 600 lb. spring bars ordered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jim.

Now it's up to you, to complete the circle of knowledge.

You experienced the not too pleasant, and have agreed to try the suggested changes.

When you do, please make a post, describing the before, and the afters.

Many here I am sure, are standing by, awaiting your post.

Your open and fair findings, will be much appreciated, by those "that don't know," but many of whom were led to believe something that is pure fiction.

Hitch rigging, is basic Physics, nothing more.

Perhaps you can assist helping others correct the gross over hitching, which always leads to trailer damages.

Andy
Thanks for responding Andy!

As Scotty said to Capt. Kirk, ""I canna' change the Laws of Physics.".

Or, as I say to my wife, "Right again you are my dear, as you always are.".

Yes, I have ordered the 600 lb. Reese spring bars from eTrailer.com. $160 with shipping included. From my research on price this appeared to be a very good deal. But, as always, I could be wrong.

It will probably be two weeks before they arrive; I am sure they will be sent via the slowest camel to cross the country to reach me here in the outback of Oregon.

I will post something back to this thread once they are here and I can get on the road with them. That, unfortunately, may be some weeks after I receive them (sniff).

When the opportunity presents itself I will hook up with them and head for the closet scales. I will also take some additional photos and include them in the forthcoming post.

I would like to thank everyone who has chimed in on this thread for their input and thoughts with special thanks to Andy for once again going above and beyond for "the good of the order"!

Jim, who is headed to the freezer to reward himself with an ice cream....

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Independently I found the exact same web page. Just got a note that they shipped today. 600lb. bars. They are probably wondering why they had a run on them.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just a suggestion, don't throw away the old ones, someone may be looking for them. You can list them here in the classifieds, and Craigslist.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Motorcycles

Are there motorcycles on the truck bed?
How do you get them up there?
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Andy/Inland RV wrote:

" . . 38 years ago [1970] the insurance division of Airstream and myself set out to ascertain what [would be] the correct rating for a particular setup, and why [that worked]. We had all too many "loss of control" accidents, of which we proved -- again and again -- that 90-percent of them could have been avoided.

That's far more than enough data to get the real attention, even from the historic doubters. Perhaps I should write an article for the Forums, for everyones interest and well being.
"

Yes, sir, please. Would love to have The Twelve Questions available; I assume they would be the format/outline for your extended discussion.

Excellent thread, gentlemen. I am also looking to see what the new scale weights will be, as well as the vehicle-to-ground measurements (hitched and unhitched).

Norsea, that is one cool-looking new rig. Lot's of great older ones around here, but yours, brand-new, is a real eye catcher (even with a Ford in front).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Are there motorcycles on the truck bed?
How do you get them up there?
Redd,

In a word; ya, but it is Motorcycle (singular) with sidecar. Here's a picture of the very first time I put the beast on the truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike loaded on truck first time.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	63874

And then there is this which has terrible quality for a photo but is tells more about what is on the flatbed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sidecar.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	63875

Under the grey cover you can see is my compressor. The blue tank under the sidecar is what the white wheels hold up and we use it when boondocking (ya, we like that kind of thing) to pump the holding tank(s) into it and haul to a disposal location.

What cannot be seen on the other side of the bike is a large rectangular box that is the cover for our generator; the cover comes off when we use the generator.

And then there is the front fork bit for holding the front forks of Verna's (my wife) bicycle.

A p-cup bed was not large enough for the moto/sidecar combination so we had to go with a flatbed.

We have been retired since early 2000 and have spent 8 years on the road on motorcycles and then a sidecar rig very similar to this. The dollar being basically worthless these days forced us to retrun to the US. Rather than invest in a home and all the attendant "stuff" that is associated with that we purchased our Airstream and a truck. We spent last winter shaking down the truck and trailer and found we did not want to be without a moto/sidcar. We have been working since March of this year to get back on the road. We hope to do that mid August.

As you and anyone else reading this now knows, words come easy to me; sorry for the long winded version of what could have been a very simple answer.

Jim

Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

<SNIPPY>

Norsea, that is one cool-looking new rig. Lot's of great older ones around here, but yours, brand-new, is a real eye catcher
Thanks Rednax....

Quote:

(even with a Ford in front).
If I may quote Bill The Cat, "ppphhhhfffffftttttttt!!!!!!!"

Jim, who is overjoyed that people are finding this thread of benefit...

Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So the rig grosses 19,680-lbs? How has the fuel mileage been?

I've read that a manual trans Ford has become harder to find behind their diesel, how do you like it? (I get a kick out of Dodge guys comparing the NV-5600 and newer G56 six-speeds to other manual transmissions; too many of them seem to have graduated from Honda Civic's and can't understand the shift feel of a "real" transmission). I have a hard time imagining wanting an auto trans for a tow rig, especially when at crawling/walking speeds, and I enjoy the fuel economy advantages solo and towing.

What is the age of the bike and sidecar? Most BMW's I've had the pleasure of examining in this married configuration were from the 1950's and early 1960's.

Is the flatbed one you had made/adapted, or was it an off-the-shelf item? Down here in South Texas the mobile welders take some pride and competitiveness in designing/building the platform to replace the truck bed on the one-ton diesel trucks they buy (lot's of oilfield work), and one can see quite a variety on the highway and around town.

Again, looking forward to how the rig shakes out for the scale numbers and height measurements on TV and TT.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #35
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Jim... a Paris-Dakar with a side hack? Now THAT's interesting!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Rednax and Roger....

Quote:
So the rig grosses 19,680-lbs? How has the fuel mileage been?
The absolute best we have ever managed was a tad over 19 MPG when going from Homestead, FL to Key West and back one day Last December; without the trailer and this was pre flatbed. We had the p-cup body with a Leer top on it.

The worst was 9.5 MPG when still in Florida in January of this year driving into a head wind on our way to the Can Opener Rally. Normally we get 13 MPG with the trailer and sidecar. Not the best, but we are both very environmentally concerned and think that the clean exhaust this beast puts out is more than a fair trade for the mileage. We shopped a lot. Almost bought an eight year old Powerstroke from a forum member. When that deal fell through we decided to get the new truck.

Quote:
I've read that a manual trans Ford has become harder to find behind their diesel, how do you like it? (I get a kick out of Dodge guys comparing the NV-5600 and newer G56 six-speeds to other manual transmissions; too many of them seem to have graduated from Honda Civic's and can't understand the shift feel of a "real" transmission). I have a hard time imagining wanting an auto trans for a tow rig, especially when at crawling/walking speeds, and I enjoy the fuel economy advantages solo and towing.
I could not agree more. We had to order the truck to get the manual gear box. I find the compound low to very nice when in stop and go traffic (on a freeway, for example). I put it in gear and sit back and relax while we crawl down the road at 2-3 MPH; uphill, downhill, flat is all the same. I find that being between two big rigs is a wonderful place to be for this type of stuff because no one will cut in front of you.

And for starting on fairly steep inclines I think I would destroy an auto trans given the weight we are hauling. I am sure this statement will generate LOTS of retorts from the Allison fans. The truck is also a 4X4 because we like to get off the "beaten path". The trailer is somewhat limiting given its size but we can set up a base and then use the bike for most of our traveling.

We were in Big Bend National Park last winter and that really was the deciding factor for us about the sidecar. We really could not go everywhere we wanted; mostly because we don't want to beat our tow vehicle too hard. But, the sidecar is so much more fun off road. We are somewhat limited with the sidecar given its single drive wheel; really steep terrain is not our friend. We had some cowboys in a pickup truck pull us up the final grade on a back road out of Sand Dunes National Park in the spring of 2007. That was with the other sidecar and it weighs 1350 lbs. This one is only 950 lbs., but that is still a lot of weight for one drive wheel to push up a steep dirt unimproved track.

Quote:
What is the age of the bike and sidecar? Most BMW's I've had the pleasure of examining in this married configuration were from the 1950's and early 1960's.
Well, I think I know what you saw and it in no way compares to this sidecar rig. Believe it or not I have another that has more aluminum boxes on it. That one is our world travel bike. See The Norris - Seavey Odyssey for more about our motorcycle travels. Go to The Bikes menu and look for The Making of the Sidecar.

Quote:
Is the flatbed one you had made/adapted, or was it an off-the-shelf item? Down here in South Texas the mobile welders take some pride and competitiveness in designing/building the platform to replace the truck bed on the one-ton diesel trucks they buy (lot's of oilfield work), and one can see quite a variety on the highway and around town.

The flatbed was manufactured by ProTech; they have facilities in Vancouver, Washington (near the Columbia river) and in Nashville, TN. They did make it to our specs for length/width and the location of all the tie down points. A local truck body shop that manufactures their own steel faltbeds was the vendor. Eachof the tie downs is rated for 5K lbs.

quote=REDNAX;591140]Again, looking forward to how the rig shakes out for the scale numbers and height measurements on TV and TT.
Me too....

And for Roger, who wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Jim... a Paris-Dakar with a side hack? Now THAT's interesting!

Roger
This particular bike is a composite model. The frame is from a 1986 R80RT that was left after the owner had removed all the parts he wanted for his parts inventory.

The engine, gear box, drive shaft, instrument cluster and the headlight shell came out of a R100CS.

The remaining parts were purchased from EBay and other such places to fill the gaps.

See the link above to learn more about how the sidecars were made; in Germany, actually.

Jim

PS: Note that we are working on a third web site to go with our two existing web sites (The Norris - Seavey Odyssey and Verna's Recipes) which is Silver Twinkie. This last one is very much under construction; we will use it to document our travels with the Airstream and Ford truck and sidecar.

Jim

Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I will amend my statement of "having seen" some older BMW/sidecar configurations. They were NOT like this! Wow! I finally found time, as I knew I'd need, to read through the complete sidecar piece, and to skate around in the rest. As a former old car guy (and from a family that has had RV's, airplanes, boats, etc for more than forty years) I appreciate the work that went into that rig of yours. (Ahh, wiring).

Your travels are impressive, and that you can do it in a way that obviously pleases you both.

(And I will add that I believe you might consider moving all the way up in hitches, to a projected point type, the Hensley and the ProPride, as the more miles driven, the more valuable they are. Yours is one heavy rig, behind a TV with an even higher center of gravity than is conventional. I tried to shake loose my trailer at 45-50 mph, violently, after installation, and the darn TT just ambled along behind me, like a dog wondering at you when wasp-bitten on a walk ("man, look at that guy hop and run!") The elimination of sway, versus the counter-acting effect of an Equalizer or Dual Cam, was worth it to me. I have seen what happens when even a trailer great in "road ability" is upset, and turns the rig over. The TT that is "locked in" behind the TV and follows with zero hesitation on an emergency lane change is worth the extra dollars).
Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Quote:
I will amend my statement of "having seen" some older BMW/sidecar configurations. They were NOT like this! Wow! I finally found time, as I knew I'd need, to read through the complete sidecar piece, and to skate around in the rest. As a former old car guy (and from a family that has had RV's, airplanes, boats, etc for more than forty years) I appreciate the work that went into that rig of yours. (Ahh, wiring).

Your travels are impressive, and that you can do it in a way that obviously pleases you both.
Thanks for the kind words...

The rig is, ah, "a little different". I call it our go anywhere vehicle. But, given that we have only one drive wheel we are severely limited; steep terrain is not our friend given the weight we haul. Look in the Travelogues for our adventure going out of Sand Dunes National Park in May of 2007 to get an idea of what this really means.

Quote:
(And I will add that I believe you might consider moving all the way up in hitches, to a projected point type, the Hensley and the ProPride, as the more miles driven, the more valuable they are. Yours is one heavy rig, behind a TV with an even higher center of gravity than is conventional. I tried to shake loose my trailer at 45-50 mph, violently, after installation, and the darn TT just ambled along behind me, like a dog wondering at you when wasp-bitten on a walk ("man, look at that guy hop and run!") The elimination of sway, versus the counter-acting effect of an Equalizer or Dual Cam, was worth it to me. I have seen what happens when even a trailer great in "road ability" is upset, and turns the rig over. The TT that is "locked in" behind the TV and follows with zero hesitation on an emergency lane change is worth the extra dollars).
At the moment, I am going to see what kind of results we get with the new spring bars. I think my shims to the chain pull up plates has solved any problems we were having with the spring bars contacting the cams.

We have several off camber decreasing radius turns that we went through on our last outing after having installed the spacers and everything worked well. Most of these are at stop signs and involve a left or right turn. I am waiting until we have tried the new spring bars before I get too excited about having cured the problems we were having.

I will report once I get them (not here yet) and have a chance to get out on the road with them. Our plan is to be on the road August 13th headed for South Dakota by way of Boise, ID and Yellowstone Nat. Park. After that we are headed to the east coast. We do not like to travel on freeways so I should have some good info by the time we reach South Dakota, I hope. We should be in your part of the world (Big Bend Natl. Park) sometime after Mardi Gras. We loved our stop their this past winter and are really looking forward to having the sidecar to do lots of exploring.

Should we continue to have problems I will definitely be looking at alternatives to the current set up. I am optimistic that we will not have problems.

Jim

Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Any hitch rigging needs sorting, the HA or PP just as much. They are not crutches.

It is the lack of "trailer twitch" when a lot of other, important things are happening on the road that makes an HA or PP worthwhile. I am sure you will be able to sort out this hitch for the best, but it is the limitations of this lesser hitch types "ability" I would raise for further consideration (and quit this soapbox).

Yes, I'll go back to the Travelogues; the many rigs on this site are of interest to me, and the way the owners use them is instructive.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Got the 600lb bars in myself. A lot lighter than the 1200lb versions. Will need to go hook-up to test. I think a trip to the scales this weekend is in order.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote