Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a good link about tuning the dual cam setup. You might be able to guess who the guru the author is referring to.
Tuning a Reese Hitch

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Spring bars....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Here is a good link about tuning the dual cam setup. You might be able to guess who the guru the author is referring to.
Tuning a Reese Hitch
Hi Richard,

Ya, now I know who the guru is!

I had read this page some time ago when doing my initial research into the Reese hitch system; truth be told, I had forgotten about it. Why is it I can remember what I did on a date 50 years ago but not what I had for lunch one day last week? I digress.

At the minute I am awaiting phone calls to confirm pricing on a set of 600 lb. trunnion bars.

Thanks for posting this. I can only hope that this thread will be of use to others.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Boy am I glad I came across this post. I have a 2500 HD Dodge with a 34' excella. I think the tongue weight is 800 lbs. but will need to go check the manual. I just assumed the idiots at the hitch shop new what they were doing. I went and looked and I have 1200lb bars . Wondered why all the stuff in the interior was falling apart.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jim
Don't worry about It. U are not alone, I use a wrench and lay it down an forget what I did with it. But I can draw you a floor plan if the house I lived in when I was 5 that was 65 yrs ago.
I ran into the same problem. The PO gave me his hitch and on the way home I thought it was gonna throw us off the road,the rebound was so bad.
I'm not just sure what brand it is but the bars were 1 7/8" at the base next to the trunion. The bars were way to heavy. I had bought my Reese Straight line yrs ago and had it stored. I took off the setup he had given me and went to my Reese with the 1" (600 lb)bars at the trunion.What a world of difference in the ride.
Jim I congratulate U for doing your homework and Using that SCALE. THE SCALE TELLS THE TAIL. I have a crew w/7.3/8ft/SW/ Diesel same make as yours and my weights are very simular.
Our trailer was way over hitched and the proof was that it had started to shear rivets in the hitch area.
Your rig looks good to me.Change the bars so u have a little flex and U will be fine.
Roger
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson View Post
Boy am I glad I came across this post. I have a 2500 HD Dodge with a 34' excella. I think the tongue weight is 800 lbs. but will need to go check the manual. I just assumed the idiots at the hitch shop new what they were doing. I went and looked and I have 1200lb bars . Wondered why all the stuff in the interior was falling apart.
OK!!!

I am always reluctant to start something because I don't want to waste people's time but in this instance I really felt compelled to affirm that I was doing the right thing or have the error of my ways explained to me. I could not be happier about the feedback that this thread has generated.

Now, with someone else gaining from it as well I feel that I have done the right thing...

Jim

Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Jim
Don't worry about It. U are not alone, I use a wrench and lay it down an forget what I did with it. But I can draw you a floor plan if the house I lived in when I was 5 that was 65 yrs ago.
I ran into the same problem. The PO gave me his hitch and on the way home I thought it was gonna throw us off the road,the rebound was so bad.
I'm not just sure what brand it is but the bars were 1 7/8" at the base next to the trunion. The bars were way to heavy. I had bought my Reese Straight line yrs ago and had it stored. I took off the setup he had given me and went to my Reese with the 1" (600 lb)bars at the trunion.What a world of difference in the ride.
Jim I congratulate U for doing your homework and Using that SCALE. THE SCALE TELLS THE TAIL. I have a crew w/7.3/8ft/SW/ Diesel same make as yours and my weights are very simular.
Our trailer was way over hitched and the proof was that it had started to shear rivets in the hitch area.
Your rig looks good to me.Change the bars so u have a little flex and U will be fine.
Roger
Thanks Roger.

Not only is it nice to know that the trailer will be OK but that the "lost tool syndrome" is something that is not unique to my blood!

Jim

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
OK!!!

I am always reluctant to start something because I don't want to waste people's time but in this instance I really felt compelled to affirm that I was doing the right thing or have the error of my ways explained to me. I could not be happier about the feedback that this thread has generated.

Now, with someone else gaining from it as well I feel that I have done the right thing...

Jim
Jim.

Now it's up to you, to complete the circle of knowledge.

You experienced the not too pleasant, and have agreed to try the suggested changes.

When you do, please make a post, describing the before, and the afters.

Many here I am sure, are standing by, awaiting your post.

Your open and fair findings, will be much appreciated, by those "that don't know," but many of whom were led to believe something that is pure fiction.

Hitch rigging, is basic Physics, nothing more.

Perhaps you can assist helping others correct the gross over hitching, which always leads to trailer damages.

Andy
Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Why do the hitch installers at Airstream dealers continue to provide oversized WD bars? Is it a lack of training or poor instructions from Reese? My latest A/S purchase included a new Reese DC setup with 1200# bars for a 31' Excella towing with an Excursion. I question that I am way overhitched. Why do I put faith in the experts (dealer) that they will properly provide and install a hitch. When I picked up my trailer, I questioned the 1200# bars and was told that was what was required. The previous trailer was a 32' and had 1000# bars. The industry is providing a complete disservice. I guess it is up to the customer to be the expert.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it all boils down to $$$. the dealer first sells the parts and makes money. then, you needs things fixed and sells the parts and makes money. followed by, finding the right parts, sells the parts and makes money. as long as there is no penalty for doing this, there is no $$$ reason to do it right the first time. it's sad.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen View Post
Why do the hitch installers at Airstream dealers continue to provide oversized WD bars? Is it a lack of training or poor instructions from Reese? My latest A/S purchase included a new Reese DC setup with 1200# bars for a 31' Excella towing with an Excursion. I question that I am way overhitched. Why do I put faith in the experts (dealer) that they will properly provide and install a hitch. When I picked up my trailer, I questioned the 1200# bars and was told that was what was required. The previous trailer was a 32' and had 1000# bars. The industry is providing a complete disservice. I guess it is up to the customer to be the expert.
"MOST DEALERS, DON'T HAVE A CLUE", except for the color of your check book.

And for that matter, most dealers CANNOT tell you, in any sensible deatil, how a load works, and why.

Physics is the answer, and all too many of them, can't even spell the word, let alone know what it means.

Complete "disservice," you bet.

I wonder how many of them realize that they create a huge liability for themselves, when they install a load equalizing hitch, that is absolutely wrong. Let someone get hurt, or even damage their trailer, then turn around and sue the dealer that made that absolute wrong decision, and the RV trailering world, would change in a very short fashion.

38 years ago, the insurance division of Airstream, and myself, set out to assertain what is a correct rating for a particular setup, and why.

We had all to many "loss of control" accidents, of which we proved, again and again, that 90 percent of them could have been avoided.

That's far more than enough data to get the real attention, even from the historic doubters.

Perhaps I should write an article for the Forums, for everyones interest and well being.

I fully understand, that there will be some replies to the above statements, especially from those few who absolutely believe that a load equalizing hitch. is a waste of money.

We all believe that there are many societies in our world, that place no value on life, theirs or anyone elses as well.

Unfortunately, there are some RV ers, towing trailers, that are charter members of those societies.

I am being very harsh, with intent and purpose.

Wake up RVers that tow trailers!!!!

You cannot and will not change the laws of Physics, in spite of your determination, and fool hardy lack of proper safety decisions.

There's no magic to it. It's just common sense.

Unfortuantely, all to many have been injured, maimed, inconvenienced, killed, and forced to spend extra money, because of being mis-informed by supposed hitch installers, as well as RV sales people.

Andy
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

How about the Hensley hitch, can the spring bars be too stiff? My rig (28 ft Classic and 2500 hd) is very harsh on bumps.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUS View Post
How about the Hensley hitch, can the spring bars be too stiff? My rig (28 ft Classic and 2500 hd) is very harsh on bumps.
Yes, same problem.

Andy
Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
New 600 lb. spring bars ordered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jim.

Now it's up to you, to complete the circle of knowledge.

You experienced the not too pleasant, and have agreed to try the suggested changes.

When you do, please make a post, describing the before, and the afters.

Many here I am sure, are standing by, awaiting your post.

Your open and fair findings, will be much appreciated, by those "that don't know," but many of whom were led to believe something that is pure fiction.

Hitch rigging, is basic Physics, nothing more.

Perhaps you can assist helping others correct the gross over hitching, which always leads to trailer damages.

Andy
Thanks for responding Andy!

As Scotty said to Capt. Kirk, ""I canna' change the Laws of Physics.".

Or, as I say to my wife, "Right again you are my dear, as you always are.".

Yes, I have ordered the 600 lb. Reese spring bars from eTrailer.com. $160 with shipping included. From my research on price this appeared to be a very good deal. But, as always, I could be wrong.

It will probably be two weeks before they arrive; I am sure they will be sent via the slowest camel to cross the country to reach me here in the outback of Oregon.

I will post something back to this thread once they are here and I can get on the road with them. That, unfortunately, may be some weeks after I receive them (sniff).

When the opportunity presents itself I will hook up with them and head for the closet scales. I will also take some additional photos and include them in the forthcoming post.

I would like to thank everyone who has chimed in on this thread for their input and thoughts with special thanks to Andy for once again going above and beyond for "the good of the order"!

Jim, who is headed to the freezer to reward himself with an ice cream....

Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Independently I found the exact same web page. Just got a note that they shipped today. 600lb. bars. They are probably wondering why they had a run on them.