Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #321
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is a rather extensive thread on the advantage of going to a lighter bar with a stiffer TV.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-up-43568.html

In general it says - use lighter bars with heavier TV. Use 1000# bars for a big car; 800# bars for a 1/2ton without overloads; 750# for 1/2 ton with overloads; 550# for 1/2ton with overloads and 3/4ton or larger tow vehicles.

Your 3/4 may not quite fit the trend as it is a bit softer sprung, but the thread is food for thought. It was recommended to me and it's only right to pass the info forward. Hope it helps.

Travel Safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #322
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pat...you just referenced the same thread we are posting in!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #323
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There is a rather extensive thread on the advantage of going to a lighter bar with a stiffer TV.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-up-43568.html

In general it says - use lighter bars with heavier TV. Use 1000# bars for a big car; 800# bars for a 1/2ton without overloads; 750# for 1/2 ton with overloads; 550# for 1/2ton with overloads and 3/4ton or larger tow vehicles.

Your 3/4 may not quite fit the trend as it is a bit softer sprung, but the thread is food for thought. It was recommended to me and it's only right to pass the info forward. Hope it helps.

Travel Safe. Pat
Pat you linked to this thread
Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #324
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If you have read the whole thread, that should save you some time! Safe travels. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #325
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd start with what you have. Barely any weight onto TT axles, and Steer Axle is decent. The old rule was a one third distribution of TW onto each axle. Not easy, or likely, with a pickup this size. Can it go up any more (as there is room on the Steer for additional)?

Call it the first round of experimentation. Put the trailer tires to full pressure and work on the TV tire pressures.

It takes a while for the TT to react with a non Hensley hitch. A smooth reaction as a unit to a curve or swerve is what I'd be looking for. It may seem the truck is slow to react if tires are not high in pressure . . but the TT is slower. Find the feel good point. Watch the mirrors and gauge the wheel degree plus time.

This may mean s few more trips across the scale to find the per wheel weight hitched and ready for travel.

The "lowest" TV tire pressure across each axle would be my goal. That's after 1.5-hrs at highway speed and checking for a less than 10% pressure rise. 7-8 would be more like it.

From there one knows the dead minimum necessary.

Too much is to be avoided. Go up 5-psi at a time. Can't say whether yours should be done Steer and Drive or each individually.

Lighter bars is another argument. It will have the same TV tire pressure problem, but a different set of numbers.

As said, work it the old way first would be my preference. TV tire pressure is a problem to get out of the way prior to establishing best handling and braking. Then, it'll be easier to evaluate other approaches as well.

If one ever has to wrestle this hoss, best to be prepared. Trailer cambered starboard and TV opposite can be "fun" even at city speeds.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #326
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
older vs new style Reese

Tried to find discussion of older Reese vs newer Reese style hitch but my lack of computer skills were no help. What does the jury say?
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #327
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Tried to find discussion of older Reese vs newer Reese style hitch but my lack of computer skills were no help. What does the jury say?
Both Reese system have the same mechanical function to control sway and distribute weight. The difference is in the way one sets up the system. The newer Straight Line system greatly reduces the complexity of set up in that it provides a method of initially setting the bars to saddle relation. The older system required adjusting the U bolts that hold the trailing arms to the frame ever time you change the hitch head. While that sound simple it was a very time consuming thing and one that caused a large percentage of Reese system to never have been set up correctly.

The bars must sit centered on the cams while the trailer is aligned as it would be driving straight down the road. The newer system provides for the bars to float on the cams until final adjustments of WD and have been accomplished. At that point the trailing arm nuts in the yokes are tightened down and the setup is done.

There is an inherent problem with the new system in that the outer bar can come in contact with the yoke while make a tight turn while backing up. If not addressed during installation it can break the yoke. I now install the trailing arm to the frame of the trailer rearward rather than forward. This completely eliminates any possible problem while retaining the original intended function of the trailing arm. I am sure there will be those that say this is illegal, immoral, and fating but it works.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #328

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I had the new variety, spent LOTS of time with setup, reset up , re-re setup, enlisted the aid of pros, never got to the point that I liked it. Even with a F350 TV it still felt like it was "hunting" it's way down the road. Switched to Equalizer, happy camper.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote