Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I made boo boo when I stated old style chain hangers, should be bars and arms w/saddles [old style]

Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #240
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
John.

Why the Super heavy duty tow vehicle?

Total over kill.

You have already noted the stiff ride it gives you.

That stiffness is transfered to the trailer, through the hitch bars.

The lighter the bars, the less the transfer of the road shock.

Using the 600 pound bars is the best that you will be able to accomplish.

Let others know the results.

Presently, I am having some fun in Hawaii.

Aloha.

Andy
Andy, thanks for the quick reply. Enjoy your time in Hawaii! It hasn't stopped raining for about two weeks here in Portland. Wish we were there!

You're the first one I've heard describe this Tundra as "super heavy duty." It's really just a half-ton truck. 1500 lbs payload, 10K towing capacity puts it right in there with the US half-ton pickups. Heck, the trailer's tongue weight will use up half the payload. Anyway, I could be towing with a Ram 3500 dually! (NOT!)

I will take your advice to heart and go with the 600 lb spring bars. We like the ride of the Tundra unhitched (well, maybe a bit bouncy in back with the OEM shocks) but I was not happy at all with the jerky, jouncy ride with the 27 behind us.

Also, since I have the ear of a guy with your years of experience, I'd like to move just a bit off-topic and ask your opinion regarding the WD hitch while backing and maneuvering dead-slow in tight quarters: Leave it hooked up, or disconnect it?

Thanks. Enjoy your time in the sun.

John

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #241
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
Andy, thanks for the quick reply. Enjoy your time in Hawaii! It hasn't stopped raining for about two weeks here in Portland. Wish we were there!

You're the first one I've heard describe this Tundra as "super heavy duty." It's really just a half-ton truck. 1500 lbs payload, 10K towing capacity puts it right in there with the US half-ton pickups. Heck, the trailer's tongue weight will use up half the payload. Anyway, I could be towing with a Ram 3500 dually! (NOT!)

I will take your advice to heart and go with the 600 lb spring bars. We like the ride of the Tundra unhitched (well, maybe a bit bouncy in back with the OEM shocks) but I was not happy at all with the jerky, jouncy ride with the 27 behind us.

Also, since I have the ear of a guy with your years of experience, I'd like to move just a bit off-topic and ask your opinion regarding the WD hitch while backing and maneuvering dead-slow in tight quarters: Leave it hooked up, or disconnect it?

Thanks. Enjoy your time in the sun.

John
John.

Sorry I thought you were using the dually.

The 600 pound bars will be fine for you.

I never disconnected my hitch bars until I was finished parking.

I used the Reese dual com hitch setup, at all times.

Andy
Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I "second" the lightest bars - They work great with my wife's Yukon.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I disconnect before backing. I do this only because the bang of the bars scare the crap out of me every time and causes looks form the neighbors.

I cause enough of a spectacle when backing. I don't need to ring a cow bell also!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #244
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Andy, I respect your opinion because you have been in the business for so many years. I use a 5.7 liter Tundra to tow my 30 foot 04 classic. My Tundra doesn't move 1 inch if I jump on the back of the hitch without the trailer, and I weigh 190 pounds! Once I hook up with the 1000 lb bar with the 800 lb hitch weight, the back of the Tundra doesn't move at all!! I have thought about switching to a lower trunnion bar because of what you have written in about "Airstream needing a softer ride" but to what weight? What if the steel breaks from bending too far? I have traveled over 50,000 with the present set up and am truly confused about what it says on the trunnion bar and what you say. Wolf146
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #245
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
Andy, I respect your opinion because you have been in the business for so many years. I use a 5.7 liter Tundra to tow my 30 foot 04 classic. My Tundra doesn't move 1 inch if I jump on the back of the hitch without the trailer, and I weigh 190 pounds! Once I hook up with the 1000 lb bar with the 800 lb hitch weight, the back of the Tundra doesn't move at all!! I have thought about switching to a lower trunnion bar because of what you have written in about "Airstream needing a softer ride" but to what weight? What if the steel breaks from bending too far? I have traveled over 50,000 with the present set up and am truly confused about what it says on the trunnion bar and what you say. Wolf146
I would suggest the 600 pound bars, nothing heavier.

I don't know what hitch you have, but I do know that the Reese square bars are tested to stand a 5 inch bend.

Andy

Andy
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #246
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Reese Dual Cam Hitch

Andy, since I value your knowledge and the others on this site and after reading these post, I am in need of your help on which Reese hitch to purchase. I have a 1972 31' International Sovereign that is under rennovation that will be towed by a 2005 Ford F250 Automatic 4 X 4 crew cab and was wondering if the 600# bars (round or trunnion) were right for my rig and if you had a model number since Reese has several listed. I have read both articles on the Reese and the Equalizer and the Reese sounds like the smoother ride. Hope you are enjoying your vacation.
Jim
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #247
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I read that the weight rating of the trunion bars was the maximum tongue weight they could handle. My 23D has a tongue weight over 700# and I was told the 800# trunion bars were too close to that. We are towing with a BMW X5, the Reese Straight Line and 1200# bars. The ride is not rough in my opinion; in fact I'm surprised how nice it tows.
2005 BWM R1200ST
1977 Cessna C177B
warmrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #248
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmrain View Post
I read that the weight rating of the trunion bars was the maximum tongue weight they could handle. My 23D has a tongue weight over 700# and I was told the 800# trunion bars were too close to that. We are towing with a BMW X5, the Reese Straight Line and 1200# bars. The ride is not rough in my opinion; in fact I'm surprised how nice it tows.
Cars would use a 1000 pound bar, no more.

1/2 ton truck, 750 pound bars.

Heavier than 1/2 ton, uses 600 pound bars.

Heavy duty tow vehicles carry a little to a lot of the tounge weight, therefore the bars must be a little lighter so that the stiffness of the ride as well as road shock transfer to the trailer is minimized.

Andy
Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #249
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Heavy duty tow vehicles carry a little to a lot of the tounge weight, therefore the bars must be a little lighter so that the stiffness of the ride as well as road shock transfer to the trailer is minimized.
Andy

Andy, Thank you. I makes sense to accommodate the vehicles ability to carry tongue weight when considering the bars. In the case of the Reese Strait Line I think my only choice was 800 or 1200. I may be wrong and if I can find 1000# bars I believe it is a simple swap, unlike a round bar setup in which I think the head has to be changed also when changing the bars. I am new at this so learning as I go. The TV is a BMW X5, same year, make and model and mileage as I have read about here (wish I could remember his name). One of my concerns has been overworking the self leveling axel of the TV, that may or may not be a concern. But the arrangement does seem to work well. Thanks Again, "Cars"
2005 BWM R1200ST
1977 Cessna C177B
warmrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #250
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Took Andy's advice years ago. Never looked back some 10,000 towing miles later.

3/4 ton Burb, pulling a 6300' 25 footer. 600lb bars with the Reese Dual Cam system. Night and day difference from the old 1000lb bars I was using that I migrated from the car I initially was using to two the same trailer.

Your results may and can vary......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #251
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Almost forgot, I also added one of these to further soften the ride:

Receiver Video

Not inexpensive, but it does work. Ride is noticeably softer, weight distribution with the Reese Dual Cam works as advertised with this air hitch in place.

As far as the Airstream is concerned, I have a soft 1/2 Caddy towing it and not rigid 3/4 ton SUV.

Only downside is that it is quite heavy and awkward to put on and take off-- especially with the Enkay Rock Tamers installed

Rock Tamers | Home

...but the ride is well worth the extra effort and the price of admission IMHO.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #252
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mill Valley , California
Andy,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your writing on the subject of weight transfer. I resisted the dealer's insistence on using a set of rather heavy Equal-I-zer bars and instead got the Reese Dual Cam setup after reading forums until I was crosseyed.

I am using the 600 lb bars and could not be happier. The rig feels like a "unit" but with a supple flexibility when it needs it. Completely immune to cross winds and big trucks.

Keep up the good work. You are making a difference,

Andrew