Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #197
4 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
So I was able to tweak the setup a bit....
I have my ball mount tilted as far to the rear as possible, as this gave me the best overall tow vehicle squat. I'm at 1.5 inches drop at the rear wheelwell and .5 inch at the front. (my dealer originally had me setup at 2+ inches in the rear and 1/8 inch RISE in the front.) Had to adjust my cam lengths as well due to the change in geometry. I'll head to the scales again soon to confirm things are a bit more in line, but my measurements show some promise at this point.
Before you attempt to get more drop at the front, you should check your Silverado Owners Manual regarding use of a weight distribution hitch.

Near the bottom of this post,

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: Bent hitch

you can see an excerpt from the 2005 Silverado manual. In effect, it states that the front wheelwell height should remain the same both before and after the trailer is attached and weight distribution is applied. Other TV manufacturers give similar advice.

If this also pertains to your model year Silverado, perhaps you've gone as far as you should in trying to get the front to drop.

Ron
__________________

__________________
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #198
1 Rivet Member
 
Town , Michigan
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
Before you attempt to get more drop at the front, you should check your Silverado Owners Manual regarding use of a weight distribution hitch.

Near the bottom of this post,

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: Bent hitch

you can see an excerpt from the 2005 Silverado manual. In effect, it states that the front wheelwell height should remain the same both before and after the trailer is attached and weight distribution is applied. Other TV manufacturers give similar advice.

If this also pertains to your model year Silverado, perhaps you've gone as far as you should in trying to get the front to drop.

Ron
Thanks for the input Ron. I checked my manual and it states the same thing you noted. I was reading more of that other link you mentioned and I've come to the conclusion that I have a headache.
My front truck axle weighs in at 3460# with me, wife, kid and full tank of gas. When hitched up I'm at 3400# (prior to my adjustments) My GAWR is 3950#. So I have a little extra capacity in my front axle, but based on the owners manual, I don't want to add much more than weight than when I'm unhitched. Wow, maybe I should just buy a ClassA and forget this towing stuff!! -
__________________

__________________
barrickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #199
4 Rivet Member
 
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
Thanks for the input Ron. I checked my manual and it states the same thing you noted. I was reading more of that other link you mentioned and I've come to the conclusion that I have a headache.
My front truck axle weighs in at 3460# with me, wife, kid and full tank of gas. When hitched up I'm at 3400# (prior to my adjustments) My GAWR is 3950#. So I have a little extra capacity in my front axle, but based on the owners manual, I don't want to add much more than weight than when I'm unhitched. Wow, maybe I should just buy a ClassA and forget this towing stuff!! -
Back in Post #178, you stated your tongue weight is about 700#. It seems unlikely for that amount of TW to cause your rear axle GAWR to be exceeded if weight distribution is properly applied.

A TW of 700# should initially cause about 350# to be removed from the front axle and cause about 1050# to be added to the rear when the TT is attached without WD being applied.

If the WD system is then adjusted to transfer 175# to the TT's axles, that will cause about 350# to be added back onto the TV's front axle and about 525# to be removed from the rear axle.

The approximate net effect of 700# tongue weight plus weight distribution would be have zero change on the front axle, 525# added to the rear axle, and 175# added to the TT's axles.

You should not attempt to get equal "drop" at the front and rear wheels. This would be very difficult to achieve and would be contrary to the manufacturer's warning. The front suspension on your Silverado probably has hard rubber stops which limit the amount of downward deflection.

The only way to really know what your weight distribution system is doing is to load the TV and TT similar to how it would be loaded for camping. Then take the rig to a scales and get three sets of measurements:
1. Measure front and rear axle loads plus the load on the TT's axles with the WD system adjusted as you think it should be.
2. Measure the same as in 1. with the WD system disengaged.
3. Move off the scales and drop the trailer and then return to the scales to measure the TV's front and rear axle loads without the TT being attached.

This should tell you all you need to know.

Ron
__________________
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #200
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Boy of Boy! Have we opened up a hornets nest here....I went and actually checked the book on my truck (07 GMC HD 1/2 ton w/tow package) and it also says to adjust the WD hitch so the front end is in the same position as without the trailer.

I distictly remember having a "discussion" with Andy about this same thing with WD hitches opposed to passenger cars. I was repremanded severely for my "ignorance and insubordination". And, here's a statement of his from this same thread:
Quote:
Wrong, wrong.

When a load equalizing hitch is installed correctly, and adjusted correctly, the Airstream should remain level, and the tow vehicle should drop, equally from thr front to the rear.

If, not, then adjustment is in order.
So, now who do we believe, Andy or General Motors?
__________________
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #201
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Boy of Boy! Have we opened up a hornets nest here....I went and actually checked the book on my truck (07 GMC HD 1/2 ton w/tow package) and it also says to adjust the WD hitch so the front end is in the same position as without the trailer.

I distictly remember having a "discussion" with Andy about this same thing with WD hitches opposed to passenger cars. I was repremanded severely for my "ignorance and insubordination". And, here's a statement of his from this same thread:

So, now who do we believe, Andy or General Motors?
Don't believe either one.

Go to a truck scale and find out the answers first hand.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #202
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Well Andy, I guess if we go by General Motors directions at the scale, we will want the exact same weight on the front axle of the Truck, with the trailer or without.
__________________
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #203
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
I know that most of this discussion has involved the use of the "dual cam" setup - where 5 links is apparently the goal to shoot for. On the other hand, I'm using the 600 lb Reese bars, without the dual cam sway control hardware. As such, a goal of 7 links appears to be about equal to the 5 links plus the connecting shackle on the dual cam. This difference appears to have been overlooked in some of the earlier posts. For me, the use of 7 links seems to be just right.
__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #204
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,809
Images: 12
The number of links has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the hitch. It is just a generalization that insure proper mechanical clearance throughout the operation of the hitch once proper head adjustment has been met.

If the head has not been adjusted to transfer the loads correctly setting the bars by link count is just a means of carrying the bars down the road.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #205
1 Rivet Member
 
Town , Michigan
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
I wonder the how applicable the GM manual is. I did some looking and that same info is found in just about every GM manual I came across. Seems a bit strange that the front axle should remain at unloaded height across all vehicle platforms, 1500, 2500, 3500, etc.. Heck, my own manual suposedly covers 1500,2500, and 3500 pickups, regular, extended and crew cabs. So again, how applicable is the info in there or did GM just throw that in every manual for all platforms as a catch-all? Hard to say.

I plan on weighing in and seeing how my new setup compares to the original. If I'm at, or slightly above, my original weights on the front axle I'll call it good. To me, as it was before where weight was being REMOVED from the front axle after WDH being engaged, means the hitch was not setup properly. While SOME load was being placed back on the TT axle, my rear axle was taking the brunt of the tounge weight. The equivalent of a non WDH setup, only not as extreme. I don't have my weights here at work, but will get them soon to post my findings with teh original setup. I'm hoping my new setup is a bit more in line with better distribution of weight, but we'll see.

Good info from everyone, and it basically shows that no two setups are the same. You could have two identical TV's and TT's, and both hitch setups could be different due to load, cargo, passengers, etc... This reason alone goes to show why one set of hitch instructions cannot possibly cover all of the different combinations one could come across. Makes for good discussion though.
__________________
barrickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #206
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
I wonder the how applicable the GM manual is. I did some looking and that same info is found in just about every GM manual I came across. Seems a bit strange that the front axle should remain at unloaded height across all vehicle platforms, 1500, 2500, 3500, etc.. Heck, my own manual suposedly covers 1500,2500, and 3500 pickups, regular, extended and crew cabs. So again, how applicable is the info in there or did GM just throw that in every manual for all platforms as a catch-all? Hard to say.

I plan on weighing in and seeing how my new setup compares to the original. If I'm at, or slightly above, my original weights on the front axle I'll call it good. To me, as it was before where weight was being REMOVED from the front axle after WDH being engaged, means the hitch was not setup properly. While SOME load was being placed back on the TT axle, my rear axle was taking the brunt of the tounge weight. The equivalent of a non WDH setup, only not as extreme. I don't have my weights here at work, but will get them soon to post my findings with teh original setup. I'm hoping my new setup is a bit more in line with better distribution of weight, but we'll see.
Now here's an owner that skips the high tides, full moons and doesnt need to be a nonpareil, but just a down to earth guy, that is using considerable logic.


Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #207
1 Rivet Member
 
Town , Michigan
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Now here's an owner that skips the high tides, full moons and doesnt need to be a nonpareil, but just a down to earth guy, that is using considerable logic.
Andy
Thank you??
__________________
barrickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #208
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
Thank you??
Your more than welcome.

Scales beat opinions, hands down, since they tell you like it is.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #209
1 Rivet Member
 
Town , Michigan
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Ok, scale results from my ORIGINAL hitch setup (will post from my new setup next week)....

Weight Ratings of TV: (2008 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 4x4)
GAWR: 3950#
GVWR: 7000#
GCWR: 13000#

Scale Results:
Truck Only (w/ me, wife, kid, full fuel tank)
Front Axle: 3460
Rear Axle: 2562
Gross: 6022

Truck as above w/ TT and WDH NOT engaged
Front Axle: 3100
Rear Axle: 3760
Trailer Axle: 5380
Gross: 12240

Truck as above w/ TT and WDH engaged
Front Axle: 3400
Rear Axle: 3320
Trailer Axle: 5520
Gross: 12240

So, with these numbers I get... (if my math is right)
TT Gross: 6218
TT Tounge: 838

You can see that 60# is taken OFF my front axle with the WDH engaged, so I have 898# (TW + 60# from front axle) being distributed over the rear truck axle and TT axle, with my truck taking 758# and the TT taking 140#. I'm under all of my limits as far as ratings go, but obviously the weight was not being distributed very well.
__________________
barrickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #210
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
Ok, scale results from my ORIGINAL hitch setup (will post from my new setup next week)....

Truck as above w/ TT and WDH engaged
Front Axle: 3400
Rear Axle: 3320
Trailer Axle: 5520
Gross: 12240
The above, ready to travel weights, are almost perfect.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new reese dual cam Bing-Bing Hitches, Couplers & Balls 11 05-27-2007 01:40 PM
Reese Dual Cam HP Problem uwe Hitches, Couplers & Balls 14 05-24-2006 09:41 PM
Reese dual cam HP junbe Hitches, Couplers & Balls 12 04-07-2005 07:10 PM
Reese friction to Reese Dual Cam ? Kistler Our Community 7 07-01-2003 08:53 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.