Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #183
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
barrickd

I sent you a private message that may help.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #184
1 Rivet Member

Town , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Wrong, wrong.

When a load equalizing hitch is installed correctly, and adjusted correctly, the Airstream should remain level, and the tow vehicle should drop, equally from thr front to the rear.

If, not, then adjustment is in order.
As I feared, it sounds like I'm the victim of yet another hitch installer that either 1. does not know what they're doing or 2. does know but does not want to take the time to do things correctly

I appreciate your feedback and will attempt a correction myself, hopefully I can get things dialed in better than they did.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #185
1 Rivet Member

Town , Michigan
Andy/Howie
Thank you both for your help
Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #186
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
As I feared, it sounds like I'm the victim of yet another hitch installer that either 1. does not know what they're doing or 2. does know but does not want to take the time to do things correctly

I appreciate your feedback and will attempt a correction myself, hopefully I can get things dialed in better than they did.
Post a side view photo of the hitch setup that you have, before you make any changes. Then post another photo, after you made the changes.

There are a couple of vendors and some owners on this Forums, that can help you with the hitch problem.

Andy
Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #187
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is some very good information in the attached file. It will walk you through the process of setting the hitch ball angle as well as selecting the correct number of links. You may need to go through the adjustment more then once to get everything setup correctly. The end result should be a level trailer attached to a level TV. This can only be accomplished with the correct ball height and proper weight distribution.

The file is for the basic weight distribution hitch, but the basics are the same for a dual cam setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf reese.pdf (364.6 KB, 102 views)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #188
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Yes need to see a few pic's, but it sounds wrong

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #189
1 Rivet Member

Town , Michigan
I have a pic of the "before" setup but am having issues getting it off my camera. Will address that and any "after" pics as soon as I can find time to revamp my hitch setup.
We took a short trip this past weekend and on my way I weighed in at a CAT scale. I confirmed the hitch setup was not done correctly by the installing dealer. When hitched up, my front truck axle actually weighs LESS than it does when no trailer is attached. (60lbs less) So, the rear tow vehicle axle and trailer axles are taking ALL of the tounge weight and none is being transfered to the front of the tow vehicle.
I re-measure vehicle squat and I'm at 2" drop at the rear wheelwell and 1/8" rise in the front. Testing different chain legnths I found that adding two more links gave me a 1" drop in the rear and 3/8" drop in the front. So, I basically need to tilt my ballmount enough to give me more space between the end of the springs bars and trailer frame. (ie equivalent of 2 links worth more tension on the springs) as well as a little extra to acommodate for clearance of the dual-cam plates, etc...
Did I mention I just love fixing others mistakes? Also, can someone confirm that the nut/bolt used to secure the ball mount to the shank is 1 1/8 " in size yes?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #190
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Barrickd

By your description, your dealer did you a "HUGE" dis-service with the hitch installation.

The purpose of a load equalizing hitch is to transfer weight to the front axle of your tow vehicle, not take it away. It also is supposed to transfer tongue weight back to the trailer axles.

Makes one wonder how many more customers that dealer has incorrectly rigged? They created a very good way to lose control of your rig,

Trailer and tow vehicle damage, usually.

Passengers in the tow vehicle, being hurt, usually.

Law suits, "HELLO", and you would be completely justified.

If they really don't know how to adjust hitches or how to properly install them, they should find out quickly, or get out of that phase of the business.

Andy
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Reese has said that each notch on the head tilt is equal to a chain link. I have not confirmed this but it may be a start to your head adjustment. Your drop results of 1 in rear and 3/8 front axle is close. I normally would want a closer ratio of rear to front but it sound like you have a very softly sprung rig. If you go much more on the front axle you may start to change the geometry of the front end.

Just make sure when you are done that the trailer is sitting parallel to the ground while hitched or if anything a little high at the front. Remember a higher tongue increases the tongue weight and a lower tongue reduces the tongue weight because of the type axles used.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #192
1 Rivet Member

Town , Michigan
So I was able to tweak the setup a bit....
I have my ball mount tilted as far to the rear as possible, as this gave me the best overall tow vehicle squat. I'm at 1.5 inches drop at the rear wheelwell and .5 inch at the front. (my dealer originally had me setup at 2+ inches in the rear and 1/8 inch RISE in the front.) Had to adjust my cam lengths as well due to the change in geometry. I'll head to the scales again soon to confirm things are a bit more in line, but my measurements show some promise at this point.
before and after pics.... First is as dealer had it set, to get proper weight distribution I would have had to add two more links from the loose end, putting me at link 7 (I'm at link 5 in the pic). Second pic is after my setup, I'm on link 4 and have better overal vehicle squat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	80392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	80393  

Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #193
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
you're on the right trac

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #194
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrickd View Post
So I was able to tweak the setup a bit....
I have my ball mount tilted as far to the rear as possible, as this gave me the best overall tow vehicle squat. I'm at 1.5 inches drop at the rear wheelwell and .5 inch at the front. (my dealer originally had me setup at 2+ inches in the rear and 1/8 inch RISE in the front.) Had to adjust my cam lengths as well due to the change in geometry. I'll head to the scales again soon to confirm things are a bit more in line, but my measurements show some promise at this point.
before and after pics.... First is as dealer had it set, to get proper weight distribution I would have had to add two more links from the loose end, putting me at link 7 (I'm at link 5 in the pic). Second pic is after my setup, I'm on link 4 and have better overal vehicle squat.
Yes, you headed in the right directin, but your not there yet.

1. You need more front end drop, and less rear end drop.

2. You only count the links that are in service. How many links are hanging loose, has nothing to do with anything.

3. Your after photo shows 6 links under stress. The perfect setup, uses 5 links, under stress.

4. When you count the links, your attention must be on those that are in service, so that you don't accidentially put a twist in them, which in turn, shortens them. If that happened, you could have a shorter chain on one side than the other side.

It's sort of like watching the level of beer, in your glass.

You could care less how much is gone, since you can only drink what's left.

Weigh the rig as is, then wiegh again, shortening the chains to 5 links under stress. Please let us all know those two results.

Andy
Old 05-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #195
1 Rivet Member

Town , Michigan
Thanks, Andy.
So, I want 5 under stress? I will try that and see what happens with front and rear squat. I did notice that to have 6 in service required a 90 degree turn to get them snaped up, and didn't seem right. The only thing with 5 is will that cause interference with the cam chain plate? You can see in my before pic where I'm at 5 links and the top of the cam plate comes above the bottom of my a-frame. Not sure if that's an issue or not?
Also, as a side note, my ballmount was originally set with 1 tooth showing twoard the rear. My new setup is maxed out at 6 (ballmount tilted fully to the rear) So the only way I can put more tension on my bars to to decrease chain links, but then I'd really have clearance issues wouldn't I?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #196
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
barrickd, your work-in-detail is progressing as did mine (different truck, hitch and trailer): I got closer, but not close enough. I enlarged one of your included pics and noted a GM hitch receiver. My Dodge had the same set-up, and it was suggested to me that this style may not "transfer" weight particularly well, that it loads and twists to some degree. I have on my list a HD aftermarket hitch receiver (TORKLIFT) to truly eliminate this problem.

My "suggestion" may not be what is needed, but it is worth looking into re GM trucks & receivers; Airstream TV or not, on this board and on GM truck boards.

As you've no doubt noticed in your reading on this board with this hitch brand, the results of getting it dead-on is a true reward. Good luck.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote