Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #155

Currently Looking...
Bakersfield , California
The most imformative thread on HP dual cam sway ever!

This thread should be a sticky on so many towing boards.

Andy thank you for all your input. You are the reason for this post.

This is where common sense has met reality.

The bars have to flex for sway and ride control. Period. Don't buy bars just because you are thinking of upgrading someday. Buy bars that meet your needs today.

I tow with a 2006 Dodge Durango rated at 9100. Not a lightweight by any means but it does have softish rear suspension. TW is 725 and I had the 1200 bars thinking bigger is better. Nope. Bought the 800 bars and have been happier than anything thanks to this board.

Andy...hope you still monitor this thread...please write an article. Shout it out to the world about overkill and towing. And how the HP dual cam works better with flex!

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #156
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Your welcome.

Ah, another happy Airstream owner who has bitten the soft pillow, that the Airstream loves.

Also, and obviously, he no longer needs to worry about chipping his teeth, when towing.

Welcome to the "soft ride Airstreaming group."

Andy

Old 03-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have the 550 lb bars with all 6 links of my chains under tension. We get an exceptionally smooth and soft ride with our F 350 .Compared to the 1200 lb bars that came with the trailer and liked to wrecked us coming home the first time we towed our trailer. I immediately change hitches and bars before we towed the next time. Our hitch is the old style Dual cam,I wouldn't give it up fer nuffin.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #158
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Wow what a great thread! I have only been a member for two days and am very impressed!
Thanks Andy for your superb info,and thanks Jim for starting this thread.
Kim
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #159
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
BIGGER is BETTER,

TOO MUCH is NOT ENOUGH

WAY TOO MUCH is JUST RIGHT!!!!!

Its the American Way!!!!! LOL

I believe this the explanation for the way dealers set up hitches.

Since they really don't know they figure "A little more, I guess. The next size up can't hurt. Besides 1200 bars cost the same as 800 bars so you are getting 400 for nothing."

Your recommendations make perfect sense but you have to read them, think about them and understand them. They do not make sense off the bat..

I think this is why your ideas seem so radical and why it is so hard to get other dealers to agree. They are just set in their ways.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
What size bars should I use?

We're buying a 2008 Safari 25. It has a 700 pound tongue weight estimate. We will be towing with a 2003 Suburban 1500. Should
I get the 600 or 800 pound bars with my Reese Dual Cam?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Id go with the 600 lb bars. They will flex enough to give a smooth ride and still transfer enough weight forward. I'm no expert but 600's work really good for us.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #162
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm looking into buying a new hitch within the next few weeks. I have a 25' Excella 2 that is very light for it's length with a dry weight of around 3500 lbs. and a tongue weight of 400-450. I tow with a 2004 Durango. I've always towed with the hitch that came with the unit which I think is an older Eaz Lift with weight dist. bars. Unfortunately the hitch ball is welded and not adjustable which worked fine until I recently purchased new tires for the Airstream and I found out that the tires the P.O. had put on it were the wrong size. With the properly sized tires on the Airstream I'm now unable to get the unit as level as I need. When I compare the cost of buying an adjustable hitch that I could use my WD bars with I think it makes more sense to just buy a new hitch set up so I'm looking at a couple of options from Reese. My old bars are square but I don't know the weight rating on them, however I've towed thousands of miles and never had an issue with sway even in high winds. I'm looking for some basic recommendations. What weight rating would you recommend for the bars, and should I go with round, or square bars? Would I notice any difference in sway with the round bars versus square bars?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #163
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
I'm looking into buying a new hitch within the next few weeks. I have a 25' Excella 2 that is very light for it's length with a dry weight of around 3500 lbs. and a tongue weight of 400-450. I tow with a 2004 Durango. I've always towed with the hitch that came with the unit which I think is an older Eaz Lift with weight dist. bars. Unfortunately the hitch ball is welded and not adjustable which worked fine until I recently purchased new tires for the Airstream and I found out that the tires the P.O. had put on it were the wrong size. With the properly sized tires on the Airstream I'm now unable to get the unit as level as I need. When I compare the cost of buying an adjustable hitch that I could use my WD bars with I think it makes more sense to just buy a new hitch set up so I'm looking at a couple of options from Reese. My old bars are square but I don't know the weight rating on them, however I've towed thousands of miles and never had an issue with sway even in high winds. I'm looking for some basic recommendations. What weight rating would you recommend for the bars, and should I go with round, or square bars? Would I notice any difference in sway with the round bars versus square bars?

A Reese dual cam 550 or 600 pound hitch would work great for your setup.

Bars do not offer sway control.

With the Reese hitch, the dual cams are the sway control.

Andy
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #164
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A Reese dual cam 550 or 600 pound hitch would work great for your setup.

Bars do not offer sway control.

With the Reese hitch, the dual cams are the sway control.

Andy

Thanks Andy:
I think this is available in both the round and square WD bars. I have square bars now that I think are at least rated 1000 lbs. since they measure slightly more then 1.25" thick. Would I notice a difference in control if I went with the round bars at the lower weight rating?

Charlie
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #165
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
Thanks Andy:
I think this is available in both the round and square WD bars. I have square bars now that I think are at least rated 1000 lbs. since they measure slightly more then 1.25" thick. Would I notice a difference in control if I went with the round bars at the lower weight rating?

Charlie
No.

Andy
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I bought the Reese round bar hitch with 550# bars, and plan on adding the dual cam sway control in the near future. I set this up for the first time yesterday in my drive then towed the Airstream to a level parking lot to try to fine tune it. This was the first time I've tried to use an adjustable shank, or adjustable hitch ball. I watched the Reese video online and went by the instructions to the best of my knowledge. The video showed that I should have about a 1/2" drop on my rear suspension and either stay level or possible have a slight gain in my front suspension. It also said that I should have no fewer then 5 links showing but they had 7 links showing in the example on the video. I tried the hitch adjustment at 3 different shank heights, and I think all of the different tilt adjustments. In the end the best that I could get was a 3/4" drop in the rear with a 1/4" drop in the front. My old hitch had a 2" drop in the rear and a 1/4" gain in the front after I changed to the taller tires. I found that 6 links showing made the trailer level while having 5 links showing made it tilt back from the current setting of the hitch. I'd like any input that I could get on this. Based off the pictures does anyone think that further adjusting might be in order and if so in what manner?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	79211   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	79212  

Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #167
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
It looks like you need to lower the ball, it appears not to be level.

You want to try a get to 5 links not 6.

You do that by tilting the ball.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
It looks like you need to lower the ball, it appears not to be level.

You want to try a get to 5 links not 6.

You do that by tilting the ball.
I can get 5 but it takes a lot of effort and when I do the trailer tips back and is very unleveled. I've read on here that the ideal is for 5 links to show but the directions and the Reese video just say at least 5. In the video example the tech uses 7.
YouTube - Weight Distribution and Sway Control Installation - etrailer.com
When I worked with the shank settings I measured the top of the hitch and the coupler. The hitch sets at 21 inches while the coupler is at 24. I couldn't get an exact 3" rise out of the shank. The setting I have in the pick is a 2 3/4" rise so about 1/4" low, then next setting moves me to a 3 3/4" rise which is 3/4" too high. The next shank notch down is 1 1/4" lower then the coupler and really creates a V effect with the trailer nose way down. The lower shank notch also causes my rear suspension to drop 2".
I did try to go to the next notch down on the shank but the trailer was much less level then it is with the setting in the pic, and I tried all 6 tilt settings with this. For what it's worth I show right between the lines with my levels when at the setting in the pick.
I can move the tilt settings more but when I try the tilt in either direction from this the bars are not as level with the frame. I must have spent over 2 -3 hours adjusting this between the driveway and then moving it to the level lot. I think I tried about 18 different settings between the 3 shank positions with 6 different tilt positions on each one. I wrote several of these down as to the effect but not all of them. I don't think lowering the shank is an option with the effect that it has on the tongue leaning forward and the suspension sinking so low. Do you think I could get a better effect by increasing the tilt of the hitch to where the bars aren't level and moving up to 5 links?

Charlie