Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
LuminumTraila's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 987
Images: 3
Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer ?

Our new Bambi has arrived at the dealer and we're going to pick it up on Saturday!! As you can tell, we're just a wee bit excited...

We sold our Draw-tite hitch with our '76 Safari, so the question of the day is which hitch should we go with for the new Bambi? Our options are the Reese Dual Cam with sway control from a very reputable local dealer, or the Equal-i-zer from our Airstream dealer. I'm not sure I completely understand the differences, if any, between these two brands, but the difference in price is approximately $300 -- the Reese Dual Cam being the more costly (because we're not buying it from the Airstream dealer and they will need more time to install this hitch than they would for the Equal-i-zer). The forum is filled with threads that have nothing but praise for the Reese Dual Cam, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $300 to go with it over the Equal-i-zer. Any opinions or advise will be greatly appreciated.

-Jamie
__________________

__________________
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
Both are good hitches. Having had a 19' Bambi with Reese, I'd have to say that worked well for me. I used friction sway control, which might be all that you need for a 19'. I'm not sure you'll need to go the dual cam route for a 19 footer, but if you have the $$$, it might not hurt, as long as you have the correct size weight bars and there is some flex to them. If you go friction, the $300 difference should evaporate. I now buy most of my gear either off eBay or from www.reesehitch.com Both have the items needed for nearly 1/2 from new and usually, you don't have to worry about the pig iron being damaged in shipment.

Installation either way isn't really all that difficult....maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10 (being the hardest).
__________________

__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
wooHOO!!!! do we get to see it on Memorial Day??!!


I have a "dual-cam", and I must say, I know nothing of this "sway" of which these people speak so often.

BUT...I've also never heard anyone "dis" the equal-i-zer, and having seen them up close, I can say that they're easier to hookup/unhook. The dual-cam can be a PITA to attach or remove, if your tow vehicle isn't perfectly alligned (straight) with the trailer. The cams have these "stirrups" that surround the ends of the spring bars. the stirrups connect to the chains, which are held up by the "snap-up" brackets on the a-frame of the trailer. When you unhook the chains, the stirrups fold down over the ends of the spring-bars, and you can then remove them. however, if the trailer isn't perfectly straight, one of these bars will be pushed back far enough so that the stirrup can't slip over the end of the bar, at which point, you either have to re-connect and straighten out the rig, OR, take out a couple of 9/16ths wrenches and remove the stirrup that way.
that may not be an issue for you, but if you were to park at my house...it would be. there are no long, straight approaches to any of the possible parking spots. At most campgrounds, there is room to both back in, AND straighten out.
__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
bradk's Avatar
 
2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 187
Images: 14
Congrats on the new rig!

We have a 19' CCD and use the Equal-i-zer hitch. It's very easy to hookup and work with. We never felt an ounce of sway on our trip with the trailer behind us. I know next to nothing about the Reese but certainly both it and Equal-i-zer have plenty of fans around here.

cheers,
b.
__________________
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
myoung's Avatar
 
Nipomo , California
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 627
Images: 24
We pull a 2006 Safari FB LS with an Equal-i-zer with absolutely no sway or roll induced by trucks, buses, wind, road surface, you name it. Compared to your 19-footer, ours weighs 5,300 pounds or just about identical to our Dodge Durango, which has what some on this Forum insist is too short a wheelbase. Again, the proof is in the towing. Get the Equal-i-zer and be happy.

This past weekend I had to opportunity to watch others hook up Reese and Hensley hitches. Way too much work and far too much perfect alignment needed. Why work so hard? With the Equal-i-zer it doesn't matter a bit what angle you approach the ball receiver. I've come at it as much a 60 degrees off line with no difficulty whatsoever. I'll bet you couldn't do that with the other brands.
__________________
Mike Young & Rosemary Nelson

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Our new Bambi has arrived at the dealer and we're going to pick it up on Saturday!! As you can tell, we're just a wee bit excited...

We sold our Draw-tite hitch with our '76 Safari, so the question of the day is which hitch should we go with for the new Bambi? Our options are the Reese Dual Cam with sway control from a very reputable local dealer, or the Equal-i-zer from our Airstream dealer. I'm not sure I completely understand the differences, if any, between these two brands, but the difference in price is approximately $300 -- the Reese Dual Cam being the more costly (because we're not buying it from the Airstream dealer and they will need more time to install this hitch than they would for the Equal-i-zer). The forum is filled with threads that have nothing but praise for the Reese Dual Cam, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $300 to go with it over the Equal-i-zer. Any opinions or advise will be greatly appreciated.

-Jamie
I've set up both types and I use the Equal-i-zer on my 19CCD. Several factors were involved in my decision: Both work well and Reese is a well known and respected company, as is EQ. It came down to simplicity of operation and the fact that you can use a heavier Equal-i-zer if you might be upgrading in the future with no effect on the smaller unit that you have now, save for a slightly harsher TV ride with a lighter trailer. This tid-bit came from EQ directly. They don't use weight bars so you never have to change them with another trailer.

A deciding factor if I was in your situation is the fact that the dealer sells, installs and guarantees the Equal-i-zer. That would be the clincher for me.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
LuminumTraila's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 987
Images: 3
Thanks, all, for the advice and information. It seems like the consensus is for for the Equal-i-zer in our situation and I think that's what we'll go with. It will save us some money, we can get it from the Airstream dealer and they'll back it up, it will be easier for both of us to use, and it can be hitched up at an angle which is important since we have a similar driveway situation to what Chuck has. The Equal-i-zer apparently provides both weight distribution and friction sway control, so we should be all set to go.

Thanks again for your help!

btw -- Chuck, we can't make it to the Mem Day rally. D'ya think you could slip in an extra vote for us?
__________________
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
BUT...I've also never heard anyone "dis" the equal-i-zer, and having seen them up close, I can say that they're easier to hookup/unhook. The dual-cam can be a PITA to attach or remove, if your tow vehicle isn't perfectly alligned (straight) with the trailer. The cams have these "stirrups" that surround the ends of the spring bars. the stirrups connect to the chains, which are held up by the "snap-up" brackets on the a-frame of the trailer. When you unhook the chains, the stirrups fold down over the ends of the spring-bars, and you can then remove them. however, if the trailer isn't perfectly straight, one of these bars will be pushed back far enough so that the stirrup can't slip the rig, OR, take out a couple of 9/16ths wrenches and remove the stirrup that over the end of the bar, at which point, you either have to re-connect and straighten out........
I completely agree with Chuck that the Equalizer has some characteristics that would make me think again (though I do have the Reese Dual-Cam). I have to approach a few steps in order with the Reese but I wouldn't say that I have to "perfectly" align the trailer. It may be ignorance, but this is the knock I've always heard about the Hensley. The Reese is no problem ... really. I'd say it's more like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I am selling my Argosy when I get my head, time and a few tasks straightened out -- and I will install an Equalizer just for simplicity sake. Otherwise I am perfectly happy with the Reese.
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
What about longer units? We are about to purchase one of the last...yes, last of the 30' Safari BH's and I wonder if the dual cam would be better for the longer and heavier trailer. I seem to recall something about adjusting the friction types for rainy travel. I'll be pulling with an F-250 SB crew cab. Any advise?
__________________
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member
 
Devoman's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,524
Images: 2
Hitch

Mabey this will help some.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...tech_specs.php
I really like mine.all I use mine for though is just for sway.I dont really need weight distribution.It can handle sway very well.In fact I have had Big Rigs drive by me in excess speeds and it still handles it with no swaying at all.I am glad I purchased and Equalizer Hitch.
__________________
CHANGE IS GOOD.LIFE IS GREAT!
It just cant get any better than that.


Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,482
Images: 19
I've never even thought about alignment problems when hitching up my Dual Cam. I just back the truck up, raise the hitch, insert the spring bars, and I'm pretty much ready to go. But now that you mention it, I guess you do have to be fairly well lined up. If it was ever a problem I guess I'd just pull the rig forward a few feet until it was straight enough.

That said, I have always thought the Equilizer was a quality-looking hitch, and I doubt seriously if I'd pony up an extra $300 for a Reese.

Mark
__________________
'85 Sovereign, 25'
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
59toaster's Avatar
 
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,197
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
I've never even thought about alignment problems when hitching up my Dual Cam. I just back the truck up, raise the hitch, insert the spring bars, and I'm pretty much ready to go. But now that you mention it, I guess you do have to be fairly well lined up. If it was ever a problem I guess I'd just pull the rig forward a few feet until it was straight enough.

That said, I have always thought the Equilizer was a quality-looking hitch, and I doubt seriously if I'd pony up an extra $300 for a Reese.

Mark
I think the alignment issue is the first time set up. Its critical that you mount the saddle bars so they sit in the middle of the cams and the trailer has to be in line with the TV. Once thats done its no big issue that you can overcome with a little muscle.

Nobody asked so I am going to.

What are you pulling with? Its critical on the DC to select the right bars for the vehicle. With a heavier vehicle like a 3/4 ton truck you actually want to use a lighter bar like a 550lb. If you don't get enough flex out of the bars on a DC you can unload the cams and cause the DC to become ineffective.
__________________
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
cosmotini's Avatar

 
1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,057
Images: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
What about longer units? We are about to purchase one of the last...yes, last of the 30' Safari BH's and I wonder if the dual cam would be better for the longer and heavier trailer. I seem to recall something about adjusting the friction types for rainy travel. I'll be pulling with an F-250 SB crew cab. Any advise?
We use the Equal-I-Zer with our 28' CCD.

Jcanavara tows a 30' Classic with slide out with an Equal-I-Zer.
__________________
Dennis

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
The dual-cam can be a PITA to attach or remove, if your tow vehicle isn't perfectly alligned (straight) with the trailer. The cams have these "stirrups" that surround the ends of the spring bars.
I've had the dual cam HP now for a few seasons, with several non straight hookups when boondocking in some remote areas that required creative parking. I've never run into any of the issues as described, even with the TV uneven and at an angle. As a matter of fact, I've often thought how easy they are to connect and disconnect, even in the roughest situation I've thrown at them....and to me, they've been as easy as connecting a friction sway control unit, if not easier.
__________________

__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reese friction to Reese Dual Cam ? Kistler Our Community 7 07-01-2003 08:53 PM
Reese dual cam sway - fit??? Craig Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 06-18-2003 05:50 AM
Reese dual cam problems Kistler Our Community 29 04-01-2003 08:52 AM
Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam Sway Control? VWMARTINEZ Hitches, Couplers & Balls 19 03-19-2003 07:17 AM
Reese Twin Cam Setup Road Ruler Hitches, Couplers & Balls 5 09-15-2002 01:23 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.