Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #43
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
I called my local trailer shop that sells box trailers, horse trailers, etc. and they are an Equi-l-izer dealer and said they could put one on with 1000# bars for $585. Unfortunately, the Airstream dealer I am buying from is 500 miles away. Guess I may be over a barrel on this one unless I can negotiate a better price.
__________________

__________________
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #44
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm surprised at the dealer charging you labor. When I ordered my Classic, I was using a 2003 brochure that the dealer had given me. Unknown to me at the time was the fact that the '04 Classic slide out hitch weight had reached class V requirements. Once I found that out I asked the dealer for a concession since the GM factory hitch package was class IV rated.

My dealer agreed and sold me a class V Hiden Hitch receiver and a hitch weight rated 1,400 lb. Equal-i-zer hitch for wholesale cost and no installation charge. As a matter of fact I've never paid labor for any hitch installation. When I bought my Safari, my dealer installed my existing Reese dual-cam at no charge.

When I bought my SOB, the dealer charged no labor on my then new Reese Dual-Cam. After negotiating my purchase price I added the Reese dual-cam as a dealer cost addition.

Jack
__________________

__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I called my local trailer shop that sells box trailers, horse trailers, etc. and they are an Equi-l-izer dealer and said they could put one on with 1000# bars for $585. Unfortunately, the Airstream dealer I am buying from is 500 miles away. Guess I may be over a barrel on this one unless I can negotiate a better price.
Correction, that was the 1,200# bars.
__________________
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member
 
AZstreamin's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 497
Images: 4
Profit Margin

There is a ton of profit margin on after-market add ons.. Hitches, sewer pipes all of the accessories, everything camping world sells! I'd recommend negotiating the AS purchase to include the hitch you want. When we negotiated our deal I discussed with the salesmen the need for a hitch system upfront and on the back end of the deal required the $900 Equal-i-zer (installed) be included in our negotiated price.. net.. net..total deal 28% off MSRP for the AS and Equal-i-zer not too bad.

Rule # 1 in negotiation: If you don't ask.. the answer is always no


BTW love our set-up the F250 psd with Equal-i-zer and 30' Safari pulls beautifully.. our first trip home from the dealer was through heavy LA traffic and everything feels solid to me. Even with big rigs flying on the Arizona Interstates semi-trucks can drive the posted 75 MPH.

Be safe,
AZstreamin.
__________________
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
There is a ton of profit margin on after-market add ons.. Hitches, sewer pipes all of the accessories, everything camping world sells! I'd recommend negotiating the AS purchase to include the hitch you want. When we negotiated our deal I discussed with the salesmen the need for a hitch system upfront and on the back end of the deal required the $900 Equal-i-zer (installed) be included in our negotiated price.. net.. net..total deal 28% off MSRP for the AS and Equal-i-zer not too bad.

Rule # 1 in negotiation: If you don't ask.. the answer is always no


BTW love our set-up the F250 psd with Equal-i-zer and 30' Safari pulls beautifully.. our first trip home from the dealer was through heavy LA traffic and everything feels solid to me. Even with big rigs flying on the Arizona Interstates semi-trucks can drive the posted 75 MPH.

Be safe,
AZstreamin.
You had one motivated dealer. We are slightly at a disadvantage in that the trailer we want is actually at another dealer and we don't want to purchase from him...don't ask. Anyway, your rig is the exact rig I will have: 2005 F-250 PSD Crew Cab Lariat in Medium Wedgewood with gold lower trim paint, 2006-30' Safari Bunk with sofa and Equal-i-zer hitch.

BTW, did you know that the 30' Bunk has been discontinued? In fact, production has haulted so you can't even order one. That is how we wound up "at a disadvantage". We were waiting for the SE trim to be offered on the 30' Bunk. Sez la vie!
__________________
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member
 
AZstreamin's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 497
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You had one motivated dealer. We are slightly at a disadvantage in that the trailer we want is actually at another dealer and we don't want to purchase from him...don't ask. Anyway, your rig is the exact rig I will have: 2005 F-250 PSD Crew Cab Lariat in Medium Wedgewood with gold lower trim paint, 2006-30' Safari Bunk with sofa and Equal-i-zer hitch.

BTW, did you know that the 30' Bunk has been discontinued? In fact, production has haulted so you can't even order one. That is how we wound up "at a disadvantage". We were waiting for the SE trim to be offered on the 30' Bunk. Sez la vie!
I don't know where you live Minnie's Mate, I'm in AZ and went to CA about 600 miles for our AS. I knew they are going disco on this plan not a very good selling model. (I suppose most families don't buy an AS for there first travel trailer and there are a ton of POS SOBs with bunks, but who wants a trailer made of popsicle sticks...so I digress. This is the PERFECT floor plan for a family. Mom and Dad get their own private bedroom and our daughter thinks the bunks are the coolest thing.. We wanted the SE also but after looking for more than a year I could not wait any more and we could not pass up a great deal. Did you buy the '06 yet? If not left me know I've talked to several dealers with '05 in inventory all over the country and I would be happy to point you in the right direction.
__________________
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #49
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
I agree with you all the way AZstreamin. If they could manage bunk beds and a seperate bedroom on one of the smaller plans at a lower price they might have the ideal family unit. I think the price combined with the size intimidates most families. They don't think they can handle the size and they don't want to drive what you and I drive as a daily commuter vehicle so they either go with an sob that they can get cheaper and in a smaller unit, or that allows some extra cash for a tow only vehicle and daily commuter.
__________________

__________________
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reese friction to Reese Dual Cam ? Kistler Our Community 7 07-01-2003 08:53 PM
Reese dual cam sway - fit??? Craig Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 06-18-2003 05:50 AM
Reese dual cam problems Kistler Our Community 29 04-01-2003 08:52 AM
Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam Sway Control? VWMARTINEZ Hitches, Couplers & Balls 19 03-19-2003 07:17 AM
Reese Twin Cam Setup Road Ruler Hitches, Couplers & Balls 5 09-15-2002 01:23 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.