Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Reese dual cam HP

Has anyone used the new reese dual cam HP. I use the old dual cam with my
34 ft AS. Do I need an upgrade??

Jack
junbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As long as the components are still functioning properly, you should be able to use them on your 34' unit. Just be sure they are rated properly for the hitch weight of the 34'. I changed out of my dual-cam due to the major weight increase of my slide out unit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Reese dual cam HP

Has anyone had reservations about drilling into the frame for mounting the New Reese Dual Cam HP?

I am trying to decide between the Reese Strait-Line, and the Equalizer, and I like everything I have read about the Reese, but don't like drilling into the frame.

Thanks,

Tom

2004 22' Intl CCD
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 (Std Cab)
Equalizer
temcotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
No problems drilling into the frame - just make sure you measure twice (maybe three times) and drill once. The dual cam HP definitely outperforms the old and new HP is also quieter.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Reese dual cam HP

Greetings Tom!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Has anyone had reservations about drilling into the frame for mounting the New Reese Dual Cam HP?
Yes, I had great reservations about drilling into the frames of my Vintage coaches. When I purchased the Straight-Line Hitch with Dual Cam System for the Overlander in 1995, the bolt-on variety (using "U" bolts) was the only type available. When I purchased my Minuet and decided to go with the Straight-Line hitch for it, I had my choice of the original-style bolt-on or the then new-to-the-market High-Performance model that required frame drilling. I went with the original style Straight-Line Hitch to avoid having to drill any additional holes in the Minuet's frame (there were already holes for a Reese friction sway control. If I had been dealing with a new or later model coach, I would have been more likely to consider the High Performance system. I have been very well satisfied with the original-style Dual Cam systems on both of my coaches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:52 AM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
The biggest problem with the U-bolt style dual-cam is the fact for some units, the U-bolts may interfere with the gas bottle mounting plate. It did on my '01 Safari and we had to raise the bottles in order for the U-bolts not to rub on the bottom of the bottles. Reese was aware of that for many trailers and developed the HP to deal with that issue.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I much prefer drilling to the U-bolrs to make a permanent installation that looks like it belongs on the trailer. If you drill, use a wood shim to protect some electrical cables on the road side of the A-frame.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input. I was looking at "The Equalizer" today. I know from many posts that many people are happy with this hitch.

No knock on the hitch, but the quality control on the Equalizer seems questionable.

So, it looks like that Reese for me. If we did not live in such a windy area, I would not be as concerned.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by temcotom
No knock on the hitch, but the quality control on the Equalizer seems questionable.
I used to own a Reese dual-cam but changed out to an Equalizer. I made the change due to the need to move to a heavier hitch due to increased hitch weight with my Classic slide out. My dealer who handles both hitches hadn't installed the HP dual-cam and with the need to drill holes, I didn't want him learning with my new trailer.

I have been out twice and in both cases pulled through heavy cross winds. I have found that the sway control is flawless.

I am curious as to the quality control issues you noted.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-18-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hi Jack,

I did not mean to knock the Equalizer. I know it is a fine hitch. The demo I saw had poor quality paint, and even the machining was only fair. Maybe it was just the demo. I found some other mentions of it here on the forum.

Here is a link to one:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...qualizer+paint

I have heard nothing but good things about the performance of the hitch itself. On the other hand, the dealer I visited knew nothing at all, and that probably did not help with the impression.

Tom

2004 22' Intl CCD
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 (Std Cab)
Equalizer
Old 05-19-2004, 05:58 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I did purchase the new dual cam HP. Also purchased the new complete straight line hitch. Included the HP trunion style weighted hitch and the 600 lb. bars. Has anybody actually weighed their tongue weight and found out for various Airstreams what the tongue weight is?

Jack
WBCCI #16281
VAC member
Classic member
junbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Reese dual cam HP

Greetings Jack!

Quote:
Has anybody actually weighed their tongue weight and found out for various Airstreams what the tongue weight is?
The factory Empty Hitch Weight is listed at:

Airstream Weights and Measures

To ascertain the actual weights involved, I have had the hitches weighed on both of my coaches:

'64 Overlander International:
Empty Hitch Weight with all Installed Options and Accessories and Full 40 pound Aluminum LP Tanks - other tanks empty: 565 pounds
Hitch Weight with full water tank, full 40 pound Aluminum LP tanks and loaded for extended vacation: 750 pounds.
'78 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre:
Empty Hitch Weight with all Installed Options and Accessories and full 20 pound Aluminum LP Tanks: 440 pounds
Hitch Weight with full water tank, full 20 pound Aluminum LP tanks, and loaded for extended vacation: 550 pounds
With my Reese Straight-Line/Dual Cam system, I use 700 pound bars for the Overlander when towing with the Suburban and 800 pound bars with the Cadillac; while I use 500 pound bars for the Minuet with the Suburban and the 700 pound bars with the Cadillac.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I had a blowout and removed my spare from the tongue. I didn't put the damaged tire back as I wanted to have the tire replaced. I noticed a difference in how the unit pulled and ended up putting the damaged tire back in its place until I could get it replaced.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote