Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Arrow Reese dual cam error

A few months ago my son wanted to borrow my trailer for a weeks vacation.

I went over everything, tire pressure, how many links to use etc.

He was driving from Fla to NY.

Called me from Ga and said I thought you said this rides like a train on a track!

He complained of trucks passing him pushing him around, and some sway in general.

I went over many things to check we found nothing wrong.

When he got to VA I asked about the cams, bingo, he thought the dual cams needed to be greased (metal to metal), he put axle grease on them.

I told him to clean that all off.

All was well for the remainder of the trip home.

Just thought I would pass this on.

I generally use the smallest swipe of Vaseline on them just to keep them quite.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Along a similar line. I installed a Reese Straight Line system last year. On some trips the trailer would sway and on some it would ride straight. After some investigation I found the bars were not the same length and if swapped side to side I had the problem. The bars were almost a 1/4 in. different in length. When the bars were used opposite to original set up they became additive to sway rather than reducing it.

The bars are now marked as to which side they go on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, the Reese Dual Cam hitch is good when everything is adjusted perfectly. The problem is, that is a rare happening when everything is perfect, and if it's the late model with the big screw type cam adjusters, it's almost impossible to get them right.

Here's an explaination of the only adjustment procedure I was successful with on the RDC hitch: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html

For these reasons I recently switched to a ProPride hitch and it's the best hitch change I ever made.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

The bars are now marked as to which side they go on.

Howie I put a white cable tie on one as suggested by resse tech

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Howie I put a white cable tie on one as suggested by resse tech
That's a good idea, until you forget which side the one with the cable tie goes on.....

I marked mine with a marker pen on the label "R" for roadside, and "C" for curbside. Worked for me.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Dual Cam final adjustment

The first time I adjusted the hitch assembly (Ball mount hieght, ball mount angle, links under load) at the CAt scale I realised (and read the insructions from Reese) I knew that the last thing you do is to adjust the position of the cam saddles (thats whai I call them) on the frame. I'm sitting there with the spring bars under load and loosen the ubolt nuts and BAM.
The noise was the cam going "home". It was loud and it scared me because I wasn't expecting it. The other side did the same thing.
On the old Dual Cam the length of the bar dosent matter because the spring bars and the "saddles" find their sweet spot on their own (if under load).
Now I'm going to measure my bars for length also.
Live and learn.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
The first time I adjusted the hitch assembly (Ball mount hieght, ball mount angle, links under load) at the CAt scale I realised (and read the insructions from Reese) I knew that the last thing you do is to adjust the position of the cam saddles (thats whai I call them) on the frame. I'm sitting there with the spring bars under load and loosen the ubolt nuts and BAM.
The noise was the cam going "home". It was loud and it scared me because I wasn't expecting it. The other side did the same thing.
On the old Dual Cam the length of the bar dosent matter because the spring bars and the "saddles" find their sweet spot on their own (if under load).
Live and learn.
Beginner
You are rignt, Beginner. Years ago I had hitch with the original (old version) of the cams and they were a lot easier to adjust than the new ones. Also, when you did adjust them, there was no doubt they were adjusted correctly. Not so with the new version.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have the old version of the Reese Dual Cam with 550 lb bars. I set it up one time. I do check positioning of the saddles every hookup and even on a trip if we stop and I do a WALK AROUND ,just eyeballin everything and I am reasonably sure the rig is straight. I do grease my cams ever so litely just to keep em quiet. As I have said before "MY WIFE HATES INTERSTATES" ,so we run alot of state routes and so do alot of big trucks. I have never had a problem with sway of any kind either from meeting or passing big rigs or cross winds.
AT about 14K lbs gross my rig dont move around alot.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
Steve,
I had to buy a new truck and wanted to make sure that the Reese Dual Cam hitch was correctly alighned, so I just got back from a trip to the dealership, and after spending $120.00, I am convinced it is still not correct. Can you please call me.
Thanks,
Barry
210-912-9375
Barry Parkof is offline   Reply With Quote