Old 06-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Reese copy of Equalizer

I was looking through one of my new boating magazines and lo and behold it looks like Reese has just come out with what is almost a carbon copy of an Equalizer hitch. They are calling it an SC weight distributing hitch. Looks like another option in hitches.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Towing Reese SC Series Tow Kit Photo

Old 06-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I was looking through one of my new boating magazines and lo and behold it looks like Reese has just come out with what is almost a carbon copy of an Equalizer hitch. They are calling it an SC weight distributing hitch. Looks like another option in hitches.
Saw that - almost got one for a client, but without a proven track record, the guinea pig needs to be me, not the client..
So, maybe the next personal project will get one. It does look like a nice hitch system.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Take a very close look at the upper trunnion cup on the head. The newer Reese heads don't have much material to support the bars in the upper cup and ware through in short order. If you have an older head assembly with some meat in it then it may be OK.

I have asked Reese to comment on this problem and several others in the new heads and Straight Line Sway control but they have not returned my e mail

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Interesting that the article has some of the very common 'liability FUD' - sounds almost like a Haha thread ;-)

I'd like to know of a case where a liability was established for an inadequate hitch. I mean, we had a recent lawsuit because Capt. Crunch wasn't a real captain and crunchberries weren't a real fruit so folks will sue for just about anything, why nothing to match the prognostications about massive liability for not having tires inflated properly or using the right hitch or having the proper RV? It seems that the liability fear is raised on just about every weight thread or hitch thread. Isn't reality enough?

It looks like the hitch uses tapered spring bars and a braking surface on the L brackets. That doesn't match the EQ clone one of our Unit members has, though.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

I'd like to know of a case where a liability was established for an inadequate hitch. I mean, we had a recent lawsuit because Capt. Crunch wasn't a real captain and crunchberries weren't a real fruit so folks will sue for just about anything, why nothing to match the prognostications about massive liability for not having tires inflated properly or using the right hitch or having the proper RV? It seems that the liability fear is raised on just about every weight thread or hitch thread. Isn't reality enough?
Richard Newsome (Orlando Personal Injury Lawyer | Accident Attorneys - Newsome Law Firm) could point you to a few cases.

The last one I was a part of was settled by Eaz-Lift, SunnyBrook and Ford.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Richard Newsome (Orlando Personal Injury Lawyer | Accident Attorneys - Newsome Law Firm) could point you to a few cases.

The last one I was a part of was settled by Eaz-Lift, SunnyBrook and Ford.
I found an interesting article about sway on their website, and have asked permission to reprint the article here on the forums. In the meantime, here is a link to the article:
Trailer Sway: A Hidden Danger and A Reliable Fix / Products Liability Update / Resources / Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers, Accident Attorneys - ProductsLiability.net
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I found an interesting article about sway on their website, and have asked permission to reprint the article here on the forums. In the meantime, here is a link to the article:
Trailer Sway: A Hidden Danger and A Reliable Fix / Products Liability Update / Resources / Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers, Accident Attorneys - ProductsLiability.net
It is interesting, although inaccurate.

Rich needs to update his information.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It looks like they at least have made the bars more flexible than the "Equalizer" bars , so the shock from hitting the bumps will not be transmitted to the trailer as bad. It looks like the retaining L's are steel and will rub against the steel w/d bars causing both to wear and create noise. You should likely grease that area pretty well, if you want the hitch to last. I do not see any engineering advantage of this frictional system over their old w/d system with the separate frictional dampener. It would appear that the frictional forces will be higher when the weight being transferred is higher, but would be adjustable by how hard you crank down on the retaining L's.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Thanks for the links. What I asked for, though, is where liability was established rather than a "Capt Crunch" style nuisance avoidance from a "personal injury attorney". This means a case where testimony was submitted and subject to proper cross examination with appropriate adjudication.

As for the Equal-i-zer, I have not noticed any problem with stiff bars but I guess any hitch can be misconfigured. Most of the shock problems I have encountered have been due to the modern penchant for heavy duty tow vehicles designed for much larger loads than they actually carry coupled with a hitching mentality geared towards 60's sedans.

Quote:
I do not see any engineering advantage of this frictional system over their old w/d system with the separate frictional dampener.
This one gets interesting because there is no accepted objective measure (at least, that I know of). What I do see from personal reports on these forums is that the Equal-i-zer provides a similar handling improvement to the Dual Cam and that both of these are improvements over the standard brake bar. IMHO, the key is to try to understand the basis for these perceptions rather than to dismiss them. The fact that the basis is not readily visible indicates that there is more going on that one might think in how these things serve their purpose.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
Thanks for the links. What I asked for, though, is where liability was established rather than a "Capt Crunch" style nuisance avoidance from a "personal injury attorney". This means a case where testimony was submitted and subject to proper cross examination with appropriate adjudication.
I'm not sure how this can happen when the cases are settled.

This is the last one I was involved in...

2 people die.

All parties are deposed. Testing and reporting of the components involved are completed by Transportation Research Center in East Liberty, OH.

Ford, Sunnybrook RV, Eaz-Lift and the dealer all settle for a combined 7 figures.

Would those companies settle for that sum of money without any liability? Maybe or maybe not. But, it sure begs the question.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Every time the "hitch warriors" start one of these threads it might be nice to place links to each companies website, so those of us who have never seen either could more easily follow along.

re: Equalizer vs Reese Dual Cam;
Is the weight of the two similar? How about the actual added length to the TV+trailer overall as compared with just a hitch ball connection.
Costs about the same?

Lastly does a special receiver come with both of these? I have always called the receiver a "hitch". This accepts a shaft or shank.
I am not sure what to call all the devices from there back to the trailer.

Is any device any "better" than the receiver it connects to?

Feel free to move this post to any of the other "hitch-wars" threads if some mod feels it would better serve there.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
From add on etrailer.com

Quote:
Six points of friction control trailer sway. Four points of steel-on-steel friction are found in the weight distribution head, with the two most important points of friction located along the weight distribution spring bars. The tapered spring bars are attached to the trailer frame with a hanger system that provides a platform for the spring bar to rest on. These large platforms are composed of an automotive friction material (as found in car brakes) that creates 10 times the amount of friction force as compared with steel-on-steel friction. When installed properly, the spring bars are constantly exerting force down onto the platforms (this downward force is what distributes the weight). When the trailer comes out of a straight line for turns, the spring bars slide along the top of the large friction pad. Turns exert enough force to slide the spring bars over the friction pad; however, gusts of wind not.
This system is the same as the Pro Series SC; however it uses tapered spring bars. Tapered bars provide superior weight distribution performance over uneven roads and in various weather conditions while also putting less strain on the vehicle.
I wonder how much of this is just advertisement comparing the hitch to the Equalizer, and how much is fact? And if it is true, how did they measure the amount of friction and come with a figure of "10 times the amount of friction force as compared with steel-on-steel friction"?

Not saying it isn't true, just wondering how they measured it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I can see where there would be greater friction from brake pad material vs. steel on steel. After all, that is why we have break pads and not just bear metal to metal brakes on our automobiles to begin with. It is easy to calculate the amount of friction of the brake pad material by using its area and coefficient of friction vs. the area of EQ's contact surface and the coefficient of friction for the painted metal.

But I question if the EQ is doing its job, do you really need 10X the friction in the spring bar riding brackets? EQ says their friction comes from the binding force in the hitch head not so much from the friction of the spring bars riding on the L-brackets. In fact, they sell nylon pads to reduce the friction of the bars on brackets to reduce the noise so the friction at those two points must be incidental and not that important to the function of the hitch. So I would venture to say that it is marketing.

Having said all of this, it looks like a nice hitch and probably does dampen the bumps in the road if they are transferred through the spring bars so much.

After thought. I would think the bumps in the road transmission would be a product of the tow vehicle's suspension and stiffness of the tow vehicle's tire side walls more than the responsibility of the hitch since the hitch is uniform between applications and the tow vehicle will be the variable from owner to owner.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote