Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Straight line dual cam Reese

We just picked up our new 77/31 AS (Avalanche 1500 with Michelin 10 ply tires TV). I have been reading the forums and talked to Reese for recommendations. I decided to go with the dual cam straight line model#66082. I bought it from Camping World and had there tec. install it. I towed the AS for about 200 miles with nothing, kept my speed down to 55 or 60. It actually did not feel to bad but wouldn't have wanted to do anything drastic. With the new Reese setup it tows amazingly well! I don't feel any push or sway with trucks passing. It tracks great through the turns. If money was no object I would have probably gone with the HaHa. So far I am very happy. I will keep reading and looking and maybe I will end up changing but for now it seems great I can't even fathom it being any better! I also am able to open the tailgate now while hitched up. This is a big plus for me because I want to be able to carry a motorcycle or scooter in the bed. I am planning on modifying a tailgate basically cutting the top or back corners off to allow for sharp turns with the tailgate down. Anyway thanks to everyones input and info here. It's been very helpful with this new adventure!
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwellcom
Someone on the Burnstream list

In both cases it was apparently sway that overwhelmed their control. Very sad. I have hardly any experience towing, but those pictures seem like a pretty strong argument for sway control (and they may have had sway control - things happen - but anything that would reduce the likelihood seems worth it). Certainly makes me think I'll be getting the rest of the parts for the Reese dual-cam hitch that's on my trailer before going on any trips with it.
This post clearly shows why folks like me (and you know others are out there too) why you SHOULD NOT TOW with the wrong T.V. That Bronco's wheelbase was WAY TOO SHORT to be towing that size Airstream or that size anything. I never saw the hitch setup, but even if this person used the proper hitching gear, including sway control, it might have only given a slight advantage IMHO given that they appear to have started with the wrong tow vehicle to start with. Looking a bit further, they had 4 people in the truck. This was nearly exactly what I saw on my way back from the summer of 04 Midwest Rally. Too much trailer for too little of a T.V. Now the one I saw didn't have sway control or weight distribution either which was simply the trifecta of stupidity. I can't say that in this case.

What I can say is that the the price of the cams, why not? I have towed with and without the bars, with and without the cams and I have to say, it was a far more comfortable exp with them, particularly in higher than normal wind conditions. If we were talking about the cost of the cams and comparing that cost to that of say a Hensly ($3000) I might have a different take, but I paid something like $200 for the cam system and it works!

I followed Inland RV's suggestion of not being overhitched and downgraded the bars so that I would get some flex. Worked great!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote