Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Here's a link to another photo showing what's left of the single friction bar sway control still attached to the tongue:

And another that appears to show a significant tongue-low condition with a subsequent suspension load on the rear of the Bronco... (although it could be an optical illusion in the photo) again, not an optimum towing arrangement:

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
That red bar is the sway control bar - looks like a reese setup. The chain is still attached to the frame and stirup.

Yikes - that's scary.
It looks like a weight distributing bar without the dual cam . The dual cam is what gives you most of the sway control.

ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Never know when you will need it

Hi Bob:

I tow with an 8' bed, super duty super cab F250 Powerstroke. With a wheelbase of 158", sway is not a problem. I do run a dual cam Reese setup, and recently had a situation that required some extreme manuvering that, other than some underwear damage, was uneventful. We were running with the traffic (<65) eastbound on I-10 west of Phoenix in the right hand lane when the vehicle immediately in front of me whipped one lane over to the left. I then saw three nested, plastic lawn chairs directly in front of me, maybe 100 feet. In that distance we moved to the shoulder and went around the chairs, the Land Yacht following without a complaint. My daughter was following us and couldn't believe that the rig would maneuver like it did.

So I agree with the previous responses. Don't shortcut on anti-sway
equipment. When you need it, you NEED it!

Harry W
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
I just looked at the photos, Image 4, and see that the tow vehicle is a Bronco. I bought a 24' box enclosed car trailer in 1993, and towed it from Pittsburgh, PA to Madison, WI and back with a 1989 Bronco. The Bronco was way out of its class when it came to handling the trailer and it was a real white knuckle trip both ways. Not nearly enough wheelbase. The Reese double cam was added and it helped, but the cure was a 1994 GMC Suburban.

Harry W
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I looked thru the album, this rig is facing the on coming traffic?
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #20
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I think the person in Reese's tech support needs to get an education on the hitches.

I start shopping for one tomorrow
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Originally Posted by ticki2
It looks like a weight distributing bar without the dual cam . The dual cam is what gives you most of the sway control.
I stand corrected - you are right - it looks like an older Reese WD bar set I sent to ALANSD not the newer sway control bars.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Praises for Reese Dual Cam

I have towed for more than 24 years with the Reese system. I too believe that when I least expect it, I may need it the most. I hope that I will never have to find out how truly effective any of my safety equipment is.
Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #23
. , .
hi lipets...

i'm in the camp that suggests proper safety equipment increases the margin...

when the fuzz hits the fan...

so i offer you this thread to read....

big tv; little trailer....

still bad things happen

also, on the way to the international in salem this year,

and officer (vp?) from the indiana region lost it in wyoming...

rippley road, cross winds and a semi in the next lane...

he was towing a 30/31 with an excursion...

many years of towing and airstream'n

and still lost it and jack knifed...

so if your trips are all short and free of traffic, wind, flats and road hazards....

i'll take the safety equipment anyday.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Arlington Hts , Illinois
I am the owner of the Bronco/Overlander combo that spilled in 2004, and I don't mind it being mentioned at all. Here are some details about the incident. The setup was a 1995 Ford Bronco, "Bam Bam," with "Betty," a 1974 27' International Overlander, load-distribution bars and a friction-type anti-sway bar.

This same rig had previously made it across the country and back twice, which allowed me to grow a bit complacent. The driver at the time of the spill was not a confident driver. In her first five minutes behind the wheel, going less than 50 mph, the wash from a passing truck triggered a tail-wag that resulted in the trailer swinging around in front of the truck before dragging us into the ditch. It hadn't occurred to me to train and drill the drivers on using the electronic brake controller to arrest severe sway.

The Bronco, all the truck I could afford at the time, was not an ideal tow vehicle. It was geared wrong, such that the overdrive had to be locked out, or the transmission would hunt excessively between 3rd and overdrive. Needless to say, in 3rd, the mileage was miserable. The wheelbase was also too short for my Overlander. The combination had a tendency to sway, but confident drivers, male and female, had always been able to keep it tamed, with the help of the anti-sway bar.

As one person here has pointed out, at the time of the spill, the front end was riding high. I was aware of this, but allowed a jammed chain link on the load-distribution bars to prevent me from correcting the situation. Big mistake.

Fortunately, nobody was injured in the incident. After the initial violent occillation, the tipping over and sliding to a stop was surprisingly gentle. I hope never to experience it again. I consider it my fault, and not that of the driver, although it took a lot of convincing to get her to believe this. I would have been a lot less calm about the whole thing if it wasn't insured with an agent that I trusted.

Lessons learned:
- Use a tow vehicle with a long enough wheel base.
- Load properly and not excessively.
- Set load-distribution bars correctly.
- Stick with confident drivers.
- Practice, practice, practice reaching for the brake controller.
- Always carry trailer insurance.
- 4 butts sitting in a 3-person rented-truck cab for 2 1/2 days is a difficult, but not impossible test of friendship.

My current rig, a Chevy Tahoe with a 1964 19' Globetrotter, "Mabel," tows like a dream without even a hint of sway, even with no anti-sway bar.
koltys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:50 AM   #25
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Hey guys, just to plug the show and maybe help out a little here.

The Thanksgiving episode of theVAP we talk with hitch expert Bob Tooker from Reese. We talk about weight distribution, sway control, brake controllers, etc....

Just a heads up!
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Originally Posted by koltys
My current rig, a Chevy Tahoe with a 1964 19' Globetrotter, "Mabel," tows like a dream without even a hint of sway, even with no anti-sway bar.
Hi Koltys:

My '64 Glober Trotter also tows like an obedient dream, which I attribute in large part to the rearward position of the single axle, quite a bit aft of the trailer centerline. That rearward position is necessary due to the black water tank being at the tail end and many appliances being grouped in the center or rear half of the trailer. To my mind, the readward axle position casues the trailer to track better and dampen sway quicker than would a more forward or centered position, which may amplify or prolong sway once induced (there being more tail to wag).

Having a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab diesel truck helps (when it says "follow me" the trailer listens), but the trailer just seems particularly well laid out for stable towing. Oh, the virtues of vintage!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #27

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I noticed the same thing looking at the pics, before reading the subsequent comments: the hitch isn't setup properly, truck "nose high" and trailer "nose-low".

I had a "dual-cam" moment on a recent outing, when someone slammed their brakes on in front of me on the highway. I had to slam the brakes on, as well, and started to swerve to avoid an impact. The car in front of me moved out of the way at the last second, and I turned the steering wheel to stop the swerve. In that split second as the rig was turning, I could feel the trailer turn (starting to "jack-knife") on the ball as the rig turned, and when I straightened, the sensation was like a *snap* back to straight and locked. It really did feel like a "jack-knife"...only in a good way. you know how when you open the blade on a jack knife and when it gets close to being fully extended, it snaps into place? like that. Without the dual cam, I imagine that this kind of quick swerving maneuver at that speed (50-60-ish) would set up a really severe tail-wagging situation, but the DC just snapped everything right back to straight-as-an-arrow.
Without the dc, there may not have been any consequence in this situation...the truck is certainly adequate for the load. but the trailer didn't "seek" a straight line, like you would imagine occuring in the absence of any type of sway control, swaying back and forth a little less with each oscillation, until equilibriam was re-established. Like I said, it just "snapped" back into place.
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Dual cams do nothing for you when the road is slick with packed snow or ice either. Speaking from personal experience. The setup is quite robust though. THe ball deformed and bent. the head, shank, and sway bars were un-damaged.
Attached Images

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote