Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Bryan ~ In the picture of the Reese DC that you had the link to. Is that a home made handle that someone attached to the trunion head? If so, it's a great idea. Those things weigh a ton. How is it made and attached?

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Thanks, I dont think that applies. I have spring bars connected by chain to filp clips.
If that is all you have then it is the same type that I had. By the time I would have added the correct stinger and sway control to the older hitch it was within a hundred dollars of a new Equal-i-zer. The orginal stinger was for a car and much too high when used with the Wrangler. BTW I sold the old hitch on Craigs list for $125 to a fella that wanted it for his utility trailer. Worked good for both of us.

Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Is that a home made handle that someone attached to the trunion head? If so, it's a great idea. Those things weigh a ton. How is it made and attached?
Let's see, that's a NorCal member, I think. Susanville, 2004 or so.

Looks to be a couple of fairly stout straps bolted to the shank through the existing holes for the ball mount assembly with a bolt through handle. - shouldn't be too hard to put together. I'd think inch and a half or so by an eigth aluminum bar stock from the hardware store, some two inch by quarter 20 bolts with big washers would do it. The handle would need a 4 inch bolt and perhaps a half inch PVC or pex handle.

Note that if you didn't have an adjustable shank you'd need to drill holes in it. That might need some help with proper equipment and expertise.

This is one of the features of the EQ, btw - with the spring bars attached to the ball mount you have a good handle to wrastle the hitch around. You can lift between the spring bars and that is much easier on the back than trying to grap just a ball mount on shank.

Storing the hitch is also a discussion topic. An EQ is rather easy to pull of the tow vehicle and slide back in place on the trailer (just watch out for the shank hazard in front!). Other options for the EQ and the DC et al show just how creative trailer towers can be.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote