Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2003, 08:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Recommendation on weight distribution hitch

I'm now in the market for a weight distribution / sway control for the Airstream. There are several to choose from and the pricing varies. Can anyone recommend one over the other ?

Reese carries a strait-line hitch with dual cam HP sway control and from what I can tell EAZ-LIFT, BLUE OX AND EQUAL-I-ZER have similiar setups.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

David
davidlaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
David,

Camping when I was young, we used Reese. We have at least 25-30 years of exp with Reese. Top notch engineering and products. That is not to say there are not others out there that are equal or greater, however, I can only speak to the use of the Reese.

One suggestion is that if your trailer is 22' or under dual cam isn't really needed unless you plan on going larger than 22' later down the road. For 22' and smaller the friction will serve you well.

I paid about $800 for the entire setup for hitch, mounting, weight bars, friction sway and brake controller and all installation. I felt it was a fair deal for the area I live.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I just got home after 900 miles with the Reese...

...Dual cam, and I'm happy as a clam with it.

I would probably recommend it a little over the Equalizer, as it has a spring-return effect, not just a friction effect. It does make some interesting noises when you're making a sharp turn in the gas station, though!

Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller - $106 with free shipping at www.rjays.com.
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Recommendation on weight distribution hitch

Greetings David!

I too am a long-time Reese weight distributing hitch user. The Reese Straight Line hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control has been my hitch of choice for nearly twenty years. It is a wonderful system that once properly setup results in a secure, predictable towing experience. The one thing to keep in mind when purchasing a Dual Cam equipped system is that the spring bars must be fairly closely matched to the actual hitch weight of your trailer - - for instance on my '78 Minuet, 500 pound bars are used with a hitch weight of 440 pounds - - on my '64 Overlander with a hitch weight of 725 pounds spring bars with a rating of 800 pounds are used.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
By far and away the most common hitches are the EAZ lift, Draw Tite or equivalent with a friction sway attachment. These run about $250

Next up might be the Dual Cam which is a bit better for sway control. These add about $150 to a Draw Tite.

An alternative to the DC and about on par for performance is the Equal-i-zer. This one is not as sensitive to spring bar loading and has a simpler mechanism compared to the DC. The Equal-i-zer can be had for about $400.

The pullrite at about $1500 gets into the very good handling category but requires special tow vehicle mounting. [The blue ox fits in about this cost range but I do not know about its performance or other detail)

The Hensley Arrow at around $3,000 is also a very good handling solution but lengthens the hitch a bit, is rather heavy, and requires a bit of learning to get it hitched up right.

For a start from scratch point, I'd suggest the Equal-i-zer for the low end or the Hensley for the high end.

see
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...e/maintaining/
pages on sway and hitch setup for additional information and useful links.

Generally, under 20' is not too much of a concern, from 20' to 30' the DC or Equalizer usually are all that is needed. for more than 30' a Hensley or Pullrite start to make sense.

Also, the center return vs friction (DC vs EQ) is an interesting debate. What the DC is using is the essence of an oscillating system while the EQ is using a damping mechanism. Both seem to improve handling about the same from what I can tell.

The pullrite and HA, BTW, provide better handling and control by moving the pivot point forward of the tow vehicle rear axle. This means trailer movement tends to try to move the vehicle sideways rather than rotate it.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Kevin---you have an interesting reply regarding the spring bars. We just had the Reese Dual Cam installed ( 1000# spring bars on 2002 Bambi ) & I questioned both the dealer & Reese tech regarding the spring bars weight. They both told me this weight ( 1000# ) would be o.k. I'm concerned regarding transfering damaging shock to the TT. Neither one explained clearly to me why they have different weight spring bars. There must be a reason ? The way you explained the issue makes sense to me & if nothing else I'll go by my gut feelings & have the 800# bars installed. FWTW I wanted a sway control for piece of mind towing & while we are content with the Bambi, who knows what the future holds regarding TT size.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Think of spring bars as you would the springs on your axles. Too strong and you get a harsh ride. Too weak and the handling suffers.

The DC is especially sensitive to spring bars as the loading on the cam depends upon spring bar loading and, if that is not right for your rig., the effectiveness of the cam system suffers.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Hi,

My wife and I just purchased a 31' International LY. The load distributing hitch that came with the trailer is in very poor shape. I will be pulling the trailer w/ an 02 Dodge 3/4 ton 4WD. I have been shopping for new LD hitches on somewhat of a budget. The most recommended hitch for my rig has been the Eaz Lift 1009. I believe that is is rated for a tongue wt of 1000 lbs. Would this hitch be adequate for my rig? Too heavy, not heavy enough? The truck came stock with a Mopar class IV hitch. I am really sure that the tongue/trailer weights fall w/i my hitch capacity, correct?

Slade Weaver
sladew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, you can't buy a hitch...

....that's too strong! That would be a "high-class" problem, like "I have too much money, where will I ever spend it all?" or "Gosh, I'm too thin, I'd better have another double bacon cheeseburger and a chocolate shake!"

While you're thinking, and rightly so, about weight distribution, think about sway. Wtih a 31' trailer, you need to keep that in mind.

I went with a Reese dual cam (that I got ever-so-slightly used from RV Salvage down on Lincoln) for $300 - quite the bargain! I was really, really happy with it - I was towing my "new" Tradewind home during the major windstorm Monday night, and we came thru fine, even on some of the high passes coming down from Payson.

Cliff's Welding out in East Mesa knows what they're doing with hitches, and they'll give you good solid advice.

P.S. Did you buy that unit from up in Scottsdale?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for the advice! I will check out the sources you mentioned. So The 1009 would be a bit of overkill huh? We purchased the TT from a gentleman in Glendale. It is a bit older (1978), but in pretty decent shape.

Thanks, Slade
sladew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Be glad you didn't buy the unit in Scotttsdale...

...it had the Major Tail Droop!

...and as far as I can tell NOTHING is overkill when it comes to hitches and safety!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #12
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Rivet

Pullrite is KING!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:58 AM   #13
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Under 23 feet a ball is enough unless you tow with a Yugo.
The whole world (except US & CDN) has done it since trailers exist, some lighter ones are towed by light cars & the heavy ones by larger cars...but only with a ball...& thats a FACT

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:40 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I seriously doubt that "fact". my 23' trailer has a tounge weight of 580 lbs; the factory installed hitch on my truck (as well as the owner's manual) clearly states that the hitch is rated for 500 lbs without weight distribution, and 1000lbs with WD. But forget the book...if you hitch my trailer up to my truck with the ball only, it looks remenicient of the VW toureg commercial, where they first hook up the trailer to a beetle, and its front wheels come up off the ground. (ok, not THAT extreme, but there's a serious nose-high/ass-low attitude that results). you'd have to be insane to think that was a safe towing combination, and we're talking about a 1/2 ton pickup truck.

Look at the list of trailer weights on Airstream's site. many of the shorter trailers listed have tounge weights in excess of 400 lbs, which would be pushing it. Later model trailers got heavier and heavier...recent Bambi's have a 500lb tounge weight.

now..with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck; sure. but not a half ton, or any car. The older 300lb tounge-weighted banbis/caravels, ok, maybe.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:17 AM   #15
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Chuck,

Well, I do have Airlift airbags... but look at my avatar , all is perfectly leveled

The rest of the world "fact" is a FACT . WD are unknown there.

Hart
Old 07-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Chuck,

Well, I do have Airlift airbags... but look at my avatar , all is perfectly leveled

Hart
Hart... you are obviously pleased with the balance and handling of your truck and trailer, and I think that's great. You need to understand though that you have one of the few truck-trailer combos in the country that apparently don't require WD/sway control.

If it weren't necessary for the rest of us, believe me when I say we wouldn't be spending the time and money to use it.

I understand your contention that WD/sway control is essentially unused except in North America. I don't know why that is, but it really doesn't matter much for our purposes.

The fact is that the vast majority of us need some kind of WD and sway control to keep our towed load's weight equally distributed for handling and performance, and our rigs safely under control at highway speed. It's not a luxury, it's a necessity. Even when we have it, as I did, it may not be set up right, which leads to an unsafe towing situation. I was fortunate in that the sway episodes I've experienced have been minor, and I've been able to control the rig. Others have not been as fortunate and have crashed.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:07 PM   #17
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Roger,

I refered to trailers under 23 feet, not your 34 behemoth

Hart
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 AM   #18
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Roger,

Hart
I had sway problems on a bare ball with my Astro and a '61 Bambi 16'!

The size of the trailer isn't important. The factors that ARE important are: the trailer to tow vehicle weight ratio; tow vehicle tow weight rating; tow vehicle tires; tow vehicle wheelbase; tire inflation on both trailer & tow vehicle; trailer weight; tongue weight; distance from the tongue to the axle placement; and trailer loading and balance.

If any one of these factors is out of balance, sway can become a loss of control issue. Sway control and weight distribution equipment counter the trailer's propensity to start oscillating from side to side (yaw or sway) with the application of side forces.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Under 23 feet a ball is enough unless you tow with a Yugo.
The whole world (except US & CDN) has done it since trailers exist, some lighter ones are towed by light cars & the heavy ones by larger cars...but only with a ball...& thats a FACT

Hart
Our 59 Caravanner 22ft had to be moved and at that point we were unable to locate the hitch (long story as to why). Totale max weight of the trialer should be about 4k ready to go.

We used a straing ball set up to move it and I tell you it was the most terrifying ride EVER. I will NEVER pull a trailer over 2,000 lb and 15ft of length without some sort of sway control. Our new tow rig is a 3/4 ton Suburban. It has STIFF suspension and dropping the traler on the ball drops the rear of the truck 1.5 inches and riases the front .75 inches. I have approximatly 550 lb of toung weight. I use 750lb bars and it seems just right. Front is .25 inche up and rear is .25 inches low.

I'm using a Dual cam that was a E-Bay find that came with a seto of 1k bars, Had to buy a second draw bar to work properly with my truck. I had the PO's 750lb bars that I use with the camper. I have $300 in the system. The 1k Bars work perfect with a friends car trailer I barrow on occasion.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:23 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Roger,

Hart
Yea Roger.....don't you have a button for sway control on the monster anyway!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote