Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #57
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Testosterone is a powerful hormone. It clouds the thinking processes, plugs the ear canals and causes vision loss.
GStephens

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Please let me be clear: I am not recommending this solution. But it's an option that happens to fit my needs best and it's a calculated risk that I am prepared to take, just like I do by towing at 105% of my Yukon's GVWR.

Howie -- I sent you a PM.

Gary

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Please let me be clear: I am not recommending this solution. But it's an option that happens to fit my needs best and it's a calculated risk that I am prepared to take, just like I do by towing at 105% of my Yukon's GVWR.

Howie -- I sent you a PM.

Gary

Your calculated risk of towing at 105% of you TV capacity is endangering you and everyone on the highway. You may be willing to take the risk but you are forcing everyone else on the road to take the risk with you. The fact that you even mention it seems to give the impression you are proud of your disregard for safety of yourself, family, and others. BTW that is not a calculated risk that is a sucker bet.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Bike rack

Bike rack pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0459.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	61806   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0460.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	61807  

Name:	DSC_0461.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	61808   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0462.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	61809  

Name:	DSC_0463.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	61810  
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #61
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Bike rack pictures.
Looks nice, but the fact remains that it is helping to pull the frame away from the shell, as per Airstream engineers and Airstream's warranty administration.

However, it's your trailer, so you can ignore all the facts, if you wish.

Make sure you have tons of liability insurance, in case a bike falls off and kills innocent people.

Andy
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
OK... here is my 2 cents.... My view of the whole bike rack thing is similar to my view of increasing mpg in my tow vehicle... simple is better. I increase mpg by slowing down... towing at 60 mph rather than 65. After considering all the options for carrying our tandem bike, which is too long to fit in the bed of my pickup, and not finding any satisfactory way to add/use a bike rack, I finally tried to fit the tandem inside our AS. Guess what? With a little maneuvering and help from my stoker (back seat on the tandem, for the uninitiated) we easily fit it inside the AS, where it nestled comfortably for our recent trip to and from Yosemite. Transported inside like that, bike is safe from the elements and thieves... and is a simple, no-cost solution. What could be better???
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #63
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
Testosterone is a powerful hormone. It clouds the thinking processes, plugs the ear canals and causes vision loss.
GStephens
Cute. Been guilty of that myself sometimes.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr View Post
OK... here is my 2 cents.... My view of the whole bike rack thing is similar to my view of increasing mpg in my tow vehicle... simple is better. I increase mpg by slowing down... towing at 60 mph rather than 65. After considering all the options for carrying our tandem bike, which is too long to fit in the bed of my pickup, and not finding any satisfactory way to add/use a bike rack, I finally tried to fit the tandem inside our AS. Guess what? With a little maneuvering and help from my stoker (back seat on the tandem, for the uninitiated) we easily fit it inside the AS, where it nestled comfortably for our recent trip to and from Yosemite. Transported inside like that, bike is safe from the elements and thieves... and is a simple, no-cost solution. What could be better???
I bet that bike gets fabulous fuel mileage.

Andy
Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Only going downhill. Uphill the stoker is sure to whine... and your mileage may vary.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #66
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Only going downhill. Uphill the stoker is sure to whine... and your mileage may vary.
Too bad you can't tow yer Airstream with it like in the old vintage photos with the guy yanking a shell on wheels with a bike. I suspect if we could, it would add a whole new meaning for Miller Time.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

I've tried to get my wife to try towing the Airstream with the tandem, but she flat out refuses. Go figure!!??
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #68
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I've tried to get my wife to try towing the Airstream with the tandem, but she flat out refuses. Go figure!!??
Be careful with a request like that.

She might decide to ask you to give her a demonstration of how to do that, for a few miles.

Andy
Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Garfield

That a good looking and well engineered rake. The one I use and have use as an illustration is no longer available so if you would can you post the maker and modle number. There are lots of Airstreamers looking for this.

Can you post a closer picture of how it attaches to the upper section to the rear of the trailer.
I can speak to Garfields set up.

It was done at Canamrv in London. It's a very nice and clean install.

Parts are Pop Top bike carrier (out of Quebec), and Zip Dee awning brackets.

The bike rack is connected to the rear bumper (very light rack btw) with Zip Dee brackets and the top portion of the rack is connected to the trailers internal bracing below rear window, again with Zip Dee brackets.

End result is the whole rack can be disconnected quite easily if need be because the pins are removeable in the brackets.

I was quoted $700 for one to be built and installed on my trailer.

I inestead went with a front reciever for $150.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As far as towing 2 trailers legally it depends on the state. Here in NM it is legal to tow 2 trailers as long as the 1st trailer has brakes and the total length of the rig is 60' or less. You too can be your own parade.

Now I'm really going to stick my neck out. I have a 2" receiver on the back of my Tradewind. It comes in most handy for displaying my moosehead ball cover. It is also quite handy for towing my blue boy to the dump station. But, I also occassionally use it for towing a small sailboat. No apparent damage yet. I believe the tongue weight is more significant than the trailer weight, which in my case was about 50#. This thread has caused me to reconsider, and I am in general agreement it is not a good idea. If I had it to do over I probably wouldn't. I am now figuring a way to car top my boat on my TV. But I don't buy the engineering of ASs are so crtical an extra 50 or 100# occasionally will necessarily damage the coach. Certainly the AS was designed to take the extra weight of a full black tank plus a little more for stuff in the bathroom closets etc. If you are going to tow anything (like it was said before, it's my trailer) at least make the rear end as light as possible. Also there will be less of a cantelever effect with a shorter trailer than a Sovereign which is prone to rear end separation anyway.

I'm just a cynical ex hippy now working for the establishment. I guess I still have enough 60s rebelliousness to go ahead and do it when everyone else says don't. But I feel it is worth saying that I have a hitch I have occassionally used to tow small trailers for years with no apparent damage. Long term???. The hitch was welded to the frame and is neatly inside the bumper storage area. I think I will, however keep my towing to a bare minimum. I find it hard though to believe a bike or 2 will hurt anything. But that's just me.