Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Dooly, I installed a hitch receiver on the rear of my Safari 28'. I stopped a guy driving a 25' with bikes on the back and asked how he did it. I had a welding shop make up a reciever assembly and we bolted it to the frame at the sides and to the bumper. I have a bike rack for two bikes there. It works perfectly. I discussed this with the shop and he agreed the frame is plenty stout. I think it is nonsense that it could overstress a trailer with a 7,200 GVWR. There is no issue with sway or anything else. We used 2" steel because that is what he had. However, I think I would opt for 1 1/4 inch to make it as light as possible. I think Airstream is worried you will tow another trailer from that hitch receiver. That would likely be a problem. But bicycles? I have pictures if you would like to see what I did. Good luck, Ron

Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709
Dooly, I installed a hitch receiver on the rear of my Safari 28'. I stopped a guy driving a 25' with bikes on the back and asked how he did it. I had a welding shop make up a reciever assembly and we bolted it to the frame at the sides and to the bumper. I have a bike rack for two bikes there. It works perfectly. I discussed this with the shop and he agreed the frame is plenty stout. I think it is nonsense that it could overstress a trailer with a 7,200 GVWR. There is no issue with sway or anything else. We used 2" steel because that is what he had. However, I think I would opt for 1 1/4 inch to make it as light as possible. I think Airstream is worried you will tow another trailer from that hitch receiver. That would likely be a problem. But bicycles? I have pictures if you would like to see what I did. Good luck, Ron
Yes Ron I'm very interested in seeing the picture or pictures of your hitch set up. Glad to see it works for you. Bikes are all I wanted to use mine for also. Originally, I thought that since my trailer was so short and had dual axles and a frame as thick as all the other size trailers of that year, that there would not be a problem either but, after seeing all the messages against it, I doubted what I was considering doing.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
I think talking to Airstream would give you the correct answer, I am sure the shop you used was not part of Airstreams design team. The 7,200 GVWR has nothing to do with modification you are making that is not the issue. I find it interesting that you have the ability to read Airstreams mind about towing another trailer, I would not believe that ever entered into their thinking, very psychic. The fact that you install the hitch may void the warranty if still in effect. Hey it is your trailer and I do wish you the best of luck. I have seen one install which had a brace installed below the window which I do feel would work. If you search the forum you will find a picture of one of Wally's trailer with a bike hanging on the rear it is assumed he had the trailer modified or just had it repaired when necessary. What scares me the most is you are willing to tell another owner to make a modification which is known to cause a problem and that it is acceptable to do.

Dooley take Inlands advice Andy knows Airtreams. In fact PM Andy or give him a call before you install a rack it may save you $$$ in the future. Dooley your trailer is a 87 and may already have some weakness in shell to frame attachment in the rear I would do no nothing to hasten the process. I have rebuilt a 68 and assisted on a 69 and both had separation to some degree. Just normal use and leaks slowly get to the rear, had the trailers been SOB they would of been in the scrape pile but were very restorable.

The real proof that it is a bad idea is on the Airstream site, go to their online store and see if you can find a bike rack for sale that fits in the back of an Airstream with their LOGO on it. They do not miss a marketing opportunity and you can be sure if it was acceptable they would have a bike rack for sale.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
However, I think I would opt for 1 1/4 inch to make it as light as possible. I think Airstream is worried you will tow another trailer from that hitch receiver. That would likely be a problem. But bicycles? I have pictures if you would like to see what I did. Good luck, Ron
1 1/4 is a bad idea based on our experience. Years a go we had a Pop Up and I built a very strong receiver/platform that spread across the back half of the trailer. The 1 1/4 square tubing was bought from a hitch building shop and it ran from the trailer axle to the back bumper.

We then mounted a Draw Tight draw bar and attached one of those hitch mount bike racks where the bikes hang from. It worked great for 5 days of travel and then the 1 1/4 draw bar broke in half. The two bikes and rack hit the pavement at 60MPH. I did have a safety line attached so dragged the bikes quite a ways. Micro vibration on the rear of the trailer will cause metal fatigue on light duty draw bars.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
1 1/4 is a bad idea based on our experience. Years a go we had a Pop Up and I built a very strong receiver/platform that spread across the back half of the trailer. The 1 1/4 square tubing was bought from a hitch building shop and it ran from the trailer axle to the back bumper.

We then mounted a Draw Tight draw bar and attached one of those hitch mount bike racks where the bikes hang from. It worked great for 5 days of travel and then the 1 1/4 draw bar broke in half. The two bikes and rack hit the pavement at 60MPH. I did have a safety line attached so dragged the bikes quite a ways. Micro vibration on the rear of the trailer will cause metal fatigue on light duty draw bars.
At least you had the sense to use a safety line. I cringe everytime I see people with loads of crap hanging off the rear of their rigs, held on only with a bungee cord or two...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Yes Bob.. One would believe that a 3500lb rated draw bar could handle the wieght of a 10 lb bike rack and 50lbs of bikes but not the case when their is the bounce factor with unsupported weight.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Yes Bob.. One would believe that a 3500lb rated draw bar could handle the wieght of a 10 lb bike rack and 50lbs of bikes but not the case when their is the bounce factor with unsupported weight.
Wow if this is the case maybe I will have to take my bikes off my Aluminum bumper.

Along those lines the fact that the roof of my Excursion would not support the lightest of loads did not stop me from redesigning a supporting system that would. Ford designed the rake as an appointment detail with no consideration of it being a load bearing system. Note the addition of 2 additional supports to tranfer the load to a part of the roof that could take the load.

There are those who will willingly follow any statement that limits their actions and there are those who will consider alternatives. Most advances come from the second group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	61535   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof rack.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	61536  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1976 28' Argosy 28
Indianapolis , Indiana
You folks have me wondering. If Airstream didn't want the weight back there, how come my Argosy has the spare tire mounted to the back bumper? It surely weighs more than a lightweight bike rack (probably even with bikes on it).
Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edleeseng
You folks have me wondering. If Airstream didn't want the weight back there, how come my Argosy has the spare tire mounted to the back bumper? It surely weighs more than a lightweight bike rack (probably even with bikes on it).

Airstream did not build your trailer with a spare on the rear.

Andy
Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
There are those who will willingly follow any statement that limits their actions and there are those who will consider alternatives. Most advances come from the second group.
Though true, you have an abundance of folks all saying the same thing about the back of the Airstream being a no-no.

Though most advances come from the second group, before they got to that advance, many mistakes get made along the way.

Ironically, no on has mentioned they contacted the factory to see what they say (nearly 2 weeks ago I posed that question in post #13), which IMHO would trump any comment, current practice, even if that current practice has not yielded an issue....yet.

As has been said, it's your trailer.....

Again, I'd contact the factory, post what they tell you, and this will be a closed issue.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
towing behind an airstream

As far as I know, it is illegal to tow another trailer behind anything other than a fifth-wheel trailer. And unless you have the one and only A/S built as a fifth wheel, you are simply out of luck for trying to tow another vehicle. The receiver on the back of the A/S could only be used to mount a bike carrier directly to the back of the trailer.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Though most advances come from the second group, before they got to that advance, many mistakes get made along the way.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 1991
I must say I had to smile when I read your comment and then read your signature. Maybe Steve Jobs should have left it up to the Pepsi salesman. Then we would not have had any Mac Fans.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
I must say I had to smile when I read your comment and then read your signature. Maybe Steve Jobs should have left it up to the Pepsi salesman. Then we would not have had any Mac Fans.
I remember those days with John Sculley all too well. In the end, similar to what we're talkin' about, the company you see today evolved from the ashes of the many years of abuse and mistakes, John and his predecessors inflicted upon the company until Steve returned (abit, somewhat more mature than he was when he was exiled). Mind you, I don't think Steve is a saint, nor am I for that matter, but I myself, may make a call to Jackson Center to get the real deal on what they think. I also don't place a lot of stuff in the bumper compartment either.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
I have a two foot ladder with a warning not to stand on the top step. If you are willing to take a chance with a bike rack, I'll send a private message with pictures if you like. Good luck, Ron