Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #21
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Doesn't that second trailer have an independent front axle? Not quite an apple to apple comparison to a towed TT?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Fifth Wheel Dolly...

YUP. UPS trucks use a separate trailer dolly with a standard fifth wheel setup on top to connect a second trailer. Nothing at all similar to an Airstream or other travel trailer ball hitch setup.

Besides, not to dash cold water on this, the ProPride setup is the ONLY way I could tow an Airstream with my smallish Toyota Tacoma safely...I've tried it with another hitch setup--$2500 worth of peace of mind and enhanced safety is worth every dime of what I spent. Especially with family and dogs aboard the TV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
This is not a reassuring Thread for would be ProPride owners...I would love to hear from Sean that this issue is completely resolved. Even with a lifetime warrantee, the shipping $$ and hassle would be painful.
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, water intrusion is an issue for both PPP brands. I need to pop mine this spring and inspect. I rebuilt my used Hensley when I got it, just because it was used and an unknown quantity. (sandblasted and painted too). Although there was some evidence of past moisture intrusion, it wasn't bad at all and didn't require any part (other than seals) replacement. I think an application of sealer on the top caps would minimize/eliminate the water intrusion. I do also keep the hitch covered when not on use.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not have a Pro Pride. Have been wondering if I need one. The thing that bothers be in this thread is the part about the Airstream swaying so badly when the OP re hitched. And then working perfectly with a 1" change in hitch height. How can this be? Why does the hitch not "eliminate sway" with a one inch dip in the nose? How many of us are able to get the hitch height perfect the first time? And the OP sounds experienced and must have made the first adjustment because it seem correct? All in all I am baffled in this performance report. I thought the hitch eliminated sway?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I do not have a Pro Pride. Have been wondering if I need one. The thing that bothers be in this thread is the part about the Airstream swaying so badly when the OP re hitched. And then working perfectly with a 1" change in hitch height. How can this be? Why does the hitch not "eliminate sway" with a one inch dip in the nose? How many of us are able to get the hitch height perfect the first time? And the OP sounds experienced and must have made the first adjustment because it seem correct? All in all I am baffled in this performance report. I thought the hitch eliminated sway?
Good questions. A trailer and TV must be properly set up. Perhaps I misused the word "sway"... standard trailer sway is an articulation between TV and trailer. In my case, the whole rig swayed. It did that because, in hindsight I measured the AS and TV incorrectly.

You see, as the ProPride was initially installed, all bearings, clearances, etc were "perfect". 'Towed great. As the ProPride wore, I adjusted to compensate... because I thought I was on flat ground when measuring... so measurements varied between checks. I was checking g because the hitch/unhitch angles seemed to vary.. they were because of the wear!

So, when I completed repair I measured again... but again, on unlevel ground. So, totally my fault.

The sway was due to a significant " nose low" on the AS...then when it was hit by irregular side wind from overpass, trouble started.

Hope this clears up your questions.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have been told that nose down is a bad configuration for a multiple axle Airstream. I did take the term "sway" literally but I am sure there are different things that can happen. Sounds like the hitch might have been doing its job but fighting a really bad setup.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have been told that nose down is a bad configuration for a multiple axle Airstream. I did take the term "sway" literally but I am sure there are different things that can happen. Sounds like the hitch might have been doing its job but fighting a really bad setup.

Yup...yessiree... that was my fault!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
Glad I didn't buy the Pro Pride!
kapt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapt59 View Post
Glad I didn't buy the Pro Pride!
Yup.. you are probably correct.

For us, the ProPride has been money well spent....because of what it does and how well it does it..

In this thread, the 'wear'/damage caused by water intrusion can happen to most anything... especially stuff used on the road, marine or aviation... which are nothing compared to "recreational" folks and their .. 'use' of products.

(I have seen Physicians run our Airboats over a State Highway in Louisiana to get the boat next to a store's fuel pumps .. then bring it to us saying.. "The bottom is scratched.")

Yes, I am still disappointed this rebuild was necessary after only 3 years... but, this doesn't indicate a 'normal' expectation of the ProPride hitch system.

JMHO
Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Another patient

One of my bearing caps dropped off as I was pulling out to go camping a few weeks ago. It was half full of ice. Got me wondering.

Weather is better here this afternoon so when we got back from camping today I decided to have a look at my hitch (as you do).

Anyway. I think we have another sick patient.

Mine is still fully functional in that the bearings move smoothly but judging by the water dripping out of one of the top bearings it is only a matter of time.....

Can one of the experts above post some instructions on bearing removal? Is a press required or does it just disassemble once the castled nut is removed? I'll give Sean a call tomorrow to discuss options but am leaning towards doing the overhaul myself. Does no harm to know your equipment.

For anyone that is wondering - I still love my ProPride. We all need a bit of TLC from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	280911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	280912  

Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Four of the eight bearings are easy to remove. The other four are a little harder. If you have ever changed bearings on an axle, this is the same job. The bearings under the castellated nuts just come right out. The other four are behind a grease seal like the inner bearings in a brake drum or axle hub. You can drive the seal out with a punch. This is destructive, so you need to have replacement seals on hand.

Once the bearings are all out you can examine the races. Hopefully they look good and don't need to be changed but if the bearings need to be replaced it is often recommended to replace the races as well. These are harder, but not impossible, to drive out. I used a drift and/or a screwdriver and a hammer. Just drive the race out from the back side with forceful taps at 90 degree intervals around the race. You have to be careful to avoid damaging the hub area where the seals are pressed in. Autozone loans tools, so they may have a race puller. They do have a race installer set which I am using to replace my races. I bought my hitch used, so I don't have a warranty to be concerned with.

Per Channing's recommendation I am going to use some gasket sealer when I install the bearing caps, make sure the bearing cavities are completely filled with grease, and put some grease under the shaft plates on the outside of the grease seals, all this in hopes of reducing the opportunity for water intrusion, and will keep it covered when outdoors and not towing. I think the pivot bearings, which have the bearing cap on the bottom and the grease seal on the top are the weakest point for water intrusion. I'm considering adding zerk fittings to the bearing caps so I can periodically add some grease without having to disassemble the whole thing.

I have been preoccupied with house projects for the last week. I hope to get back on the hitch rebuild next week. I am looking forward to using my hitch to evaluate the difference between it and my Equalizer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Another Patient

Thanks Al,

Very helpful. I also found this thread which has some part numbers. May be of use for others.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1876853
Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
Thanks Al,

Very helpful. I also found this thread which has some part numbers. May be of use for others.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1876853
Yep that's good info.. I am copying the part numbers here:

Parts listing:
(4) LM29749 Hitch Bearing
(4) LM29710 Hitch Bearing Race
(2) 171255TB Grease Seal – double lip
(2) DC-1605 Bottom Bearing Dust Cap

(4) LM67048 Pivot Bearing
(4) LM67010 Pivot Bearing Race
(2) 15234VB Grease Seal – double lip
(2) DC-1604 Top Bearing Dust Cap

(4) Cotter Keys 2.5 to 3” long
(1) WB Grease Lucas Oil 10330 X-Tra HD (your choice, mileage will vary)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
I spoke with Sean on Monday and as others have mentioned he is extremely focused on his customer support and immediately suggested I send the head back for him to rework which I have done today. I'll let you guys know the shipping cost both ways when done. That will be on my dime. He estimated around $100 so we will see.

I have the rest of the ProPride stripped and cleaned up. I'll do a bit of paint touch up as I wait for the head to return. There is a bit of wear on the WD bar housing inserts but otherwise everything else looked just fine.

I did invest in a cover from the ProPride store. Probably a good idea.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Too many moving parts. IMO, a $2500 hitch shouldn't need new bearings for a lifetime!
Killing a mosquito with a sledgehammer.
Next time a UPS semi passes you (with two trailers) look and see how the second trailer is connected. It's a hook.
The hitch is a pintal hitch, has a air chamber, with 120 lbs air pushing against the eye,keeping everything tight...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My Reese with the cams has 22,000 miles on it and it will go another 22,000 miles easy with very little wear, alli need as my ram weighs as much as the as...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Patient is well again

My PP head was returned from ProPride today. Shipped out via FedEx ground on Wednesday last week and delivered this morning to my door.

The head was cleaned and painted, looks new.

Can't say enough about the customer service. Tremendous.

I'll put it back together this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	281592  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
My PP head was returned from ProPride today. Shipped out via FedEx ground on Wednesday last week and delivered this morning to my door.

The head was cleaned and painted, looks new.

Can't say enough about the customer service. Tremendous.

I'll put it back together this weekend.

Nice. What did that set you back, if you don't mind sharing?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Customer Servive at PP/Sean has a fantastic reputation. I was so close to buying a PP, but I need to hear about a fix to all this water intrusion before committing...
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote