Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Rear Hitch receiver, use or remove.

So far we have use our new-to-us AS only three nights, when we brought it home from the dealer in Ohio

Our first trip will be hopefully to Arizona this winter - with luck I'll have a 3/4 ton diesel by then to replace our present 1/2ton truck.

Here my dilemma ....

In the past, I carried our two mountain bikes on a standard bike rack used on a 2 inch hitch receiver that I had mounted on our 1/2 ton truck. It worked well enough, but did block some light from the headlights although we don't often drive at night. I suspect that technically it is not legal to carry the bikes this way although We've never been stopped in at least five years.

When we bought our AS I was initially pleased to see it had a very solid 2" receiver welded to the trailer frame at the rear - figured I'd rather carry teh bikes back there and that there should be no problem with trailer handling as I will be using a 3/4 ton truck and also bought a Hensley Hitch.

When we were in Ohio picking up the trailer we also toured the factory at Jackson centre & I happened to speak with out tour guide who supposedly had many many years with AS about carrying the two mountain bikes this way. He told me that while he would not recommend a motorcycle, the two pedal bikes should present no problem at all.

Since then, I have read much on this forum and heard the comments about possibl;e separation damage by rear trailer hitches. (presume this means separation of the floor from the frame?)

Although some folks have used rear hitches seemingly without problem, Many more people recommend against it and I am rather inclined to follow this advice.

I did however mount by bike carrier into the receiver & put my weight on it and it seems extremely solid so I'm still not 100% decided.

What I am really wondering now however is whether there is any easy way for me to determine if the hitch has caused any damage to my trailer. Are there any tell tale signs that I would be able to see without removing sheet metal?

I have no idea what the previous owner used the hitch for, but my guess is for a small boat trailer as there is also a flat four pin trailer wiring plug installed at the rear.

Thanks for any tips advice. If I decide not to use the hitch for my two bike carrier, I will most likely cut ot off the frame with an angle grinder.

Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I'm sure there are all kinds of opinions about this. I have owned a 71 model 31' foot rear bath and would have not hung anything off the back. However my 94 seems to be far more rigid. I can't imagine two bikes could place that much stress on the rear.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
I'm sure there are all kinds of opinions about this. I have owned a 71 model 31' foot rear bath and would have not hung anything off the back. However my 94 seems to be far more rigid. I can't imagine two bikes could place that much stress on the rear.
You know, that was my initial thought, especially when I put my bike rack on as a test and put my weight on it - it seemed rock solid.

But despite my own assessment, I do value the advice of people with far more experience than mine in this area!

Our trailer is an 05 Classic 30'. I don't know if the comments about possible separation apply to all production years or certain years.

Brian.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Lots of people say its not a good idea.

lots of threads like THIS one or THIS one.
You'll always find Andy at Inland RV strongly advising against it - scroll down to his warranty comment in the second link above.

On my 1999 30' classic, I've noticed that the rear can flex an inch or so if I push the stabilizer jacks moderatly hard. I wouldn't want to make that flex any worse by adding 40-50 pounds on a long moment arm back from the axles.

I bought fork-mounts from the local bike shop, bolted them to a board, and we carry our bikes inside the trailer (up front) when we're on the road.

Keeps them clean and safe from theft (they're expensive). Not much hassle to get them out when we stop for the night.

Here's a LINK
Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
IMHO, the controversy is more of an issue with the 70s Beatrice years trailers which had lighter frames and the longer Airstreams. Before I learned of this issue I had a hitch welded on my 73 Sovereign, both Beatrice and the longest trailer made that year, infamous for rear end separation. I towed a light sailboat which weighed about 500# trailer and boat combined. Never had a problem. Maybe I was lucky. I had a receiver hitch professionally welded on my 71 which is shorter by 8'. I also don't notice any hint of rear end separation. I am considering welding in some iron under the frame from the axles to the tail for extra support. Watching the 2nd trailer is a concern and I am thinking about car topping my boat on my truck, or learn to sailboard., or get a back up video cam,

What I like about my 2nd receiver most is it looks cool with a moosehead ball cover and it is very handy to hook my blue boy to on the way to the dump station.

If you are considering towing 2 trailers you can also be your own parade. If you drive in a circle fast enough you can catch up with the second trailer. But check the regs. In some states you can, some you can't. Some states require the 1st trailer to be a 5th wheel. In NM the first trailer has to have brakes.

If I knew then what I know now would I weld in a hitch? Probably not. But I don't see any reason to remove it.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post
lots of threads like THIS one or THIS one.
You'll always find Andy at Inland RV strongly advising against it - scroll down to his warranty comment in the second link above.

On my 1999 30' classic, I've noticed that the rear can flex an inch or so if I push the stabilizer jacks moderatly hard. I wouldn't want to make that flex any worse by adding 40-50 pounds on a long moment arm back from the axles.

I bought fork-mounts from the local bike shop, bolted them to a board, and we carry our bikes inside the trailer (up front) when we're on the road.

Keeps them clean and safe from theft (they're expensive). Not much hassle to get them out when we stop for the night.

Here's a LINK

Yep, I have read all the threads, and that is why I am leaning towards not using the hitch that came with my trailer.

But I have noticed that most folks that recommend not doing it, don't seem to have done it and those that have done it don't seem to report any problems! Hmmmmm ! I don't believe I have read a post yet from anyone that has carried bikes on the back and regretted it!

As I mentioned before, I also wondered if there was much of a difference in frame strength between the earlier or later model trailers.

Many years ago, we did carry a small honda "Passport" motorcycle - scooter really - inside a 20' travel trailer. It was ok, but somehow I don't care for the idea of carrying bikes inside the Airstream!

If I don't use the rear trailer hitch receiver, I will install a receiver on the front of our next truck as I have on my present one and carry the bikes up front.

Only problem I have had with that is a slight reduction of headlight illumination. Not a major problem.

Brian
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
IMHO, the controversy is more of an issue with the 70s Beatrice years trailers which had lighter frames and the longer Airstreams. Before I learned of this issue I had a hitch welded on my 73 Sovereign, both Beatrice and the longest trailer made that year, infamous for rear end separation. I towed a light sailboat which weighed about 500# trailer and boat combined. Never had a problem. Maybe I was lucky. I had a receiver hitch professionally welded on my 71 which is shorter by 8'. I also don't notice any hint of rear end separation. I am considering welding in some iron under the frame from the axles to the tail for extra support. Watching the 2nd trailer is a concern and I am thinking about car topping my boat on my truck, or learn to sailboard., or get a back up video cam,

What I like about my 2nd receiver most is it looks cool with a moosehead ball cover and it is very handy to hook my blue boy to on the way to the dump station.

If you are considering towing 2 trailers you can also be your own parade. If you drive in a circle fast enough you can catch up with the second trailer. But check the regs. In some states you can, some you can't. Some states require the 1st trailer to be a 5th wheel. In NM the first trailer has to have brakes.

If I knew then what I know now would I weld in a hitch? Probably not. But I don't see any reason to remove it.

Interesting comments!

I don't think I'd be towing another trailer behind, I have enough trouble with one! I don't think it is legal here in Ontario anyway!

I'm just considering the bike carrier. Like you, I wouldn't have put one on my trailer having read what I have read on this forum, its just that my trailer came with the hitch receiver already in place and I'm torn between just cutting it off (and gaining a bit more ground clearance at the rear) or giving it a try.

Certainly don't want to be causing undue damage.

Thanks .............. Brian
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Interesting comments!

I don't think I'd be towing another trailer behind, I have enough trouble with one! I don't think it is legal here in Ontario anyway!

I'm just considering the bike carrier. Like you, I wouldn't have put one on my trailer having read what I have read on this forum, its just that my trailer came with the hitch receiver already in place and I'm torn between just cutting it off (and gaining a bit more ground clearance at the rear) or giving it a try.

Certainly don't want to be causing undue damage.

Thanks .............. Brian
The way I figure it a full black water tank (assuming yours is in the rear), and general stuff in the rear closets weighs a bunch more than a bike rack. So, you always can expeditiously choose where you put your stuff and/or have an empty tank.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm certainly no expert on this, but from what I've read—and it makes sense—it's not the actual "dead" weight of objects attached to the rear bumper, but rather the increased power of that weight hammering up and down as you travel over bumps and dips...the object's "weight" is leveraged on the back end of the rig and the compounded force of it bouncing up and down becomes much more of an influence on the structure of the unit than it simple weight..and the longer the unit the more the force. Sort of like throwing an object off the roof of a house...when it hits the ground it has much more force behind it than its actual weight. My take is why risk it?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rear Hitch receiver, use or remove.

While not exactly the same thing, a spare tire carrier was monted on the rear of my '64 Overlander in much the same way as many bicycle carriers mount. This carrier wasn't added until sometime in the early 1980s as the original owners were firm believers in not adding any surplus weight to the rear bumper. By 1997 (I purchased the coach in 1995), the Overlander had a bad case of rear separation with a repair cost approaching $3,000.00. Needless to say, the spare tire now rides in the tow vehicle; alothough I know that I could get by without a spare using the 3-tire "limp-home" feature.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Wingeezer
Somewhere here is a post about a new bike rake that mounts above the Propane tanks above the front window.Its mount as I recall originated from the A frame. If that hitch receiver is bolted or welded I cut it off with a angle grinder.
This summer I did see a 31 Limited, rear bedroom that the panels behind the rear axle had buckled and it had never had anything mounted to the rear of the frame. The strength is not there for mounting anything extra off the rear of the frame. On our long-bed 1 ton we have a cap,this carries our STUFF out of the weather and away from prying eyes. We carry a charcoal grill,floor jack, 1 spare tire for the truck(unmounted) trailer spare,air compressor,toolbox.lumber of changing a tire or leveling, 8 ft step ladder (which I have had to use) Two bikes and still have room.
Let your wallet be your guide.
GOOD LUCK
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My 77 31 footer came with a Red Ant bike rack and rear bath and tanks. It only had a 4 inch frame and developed rear end frame separation even though I never used the rack. The former owners may have done the damage but it was not apparent at the time I bought the trailer in 1994. The 1984 and later trailers have a 5 inch frame and it would take more abuse to damage them. Since you are used to having the bikes mounted on the front of the truck, I would continue the practice. I carry our bikes in the back of the trucks vertically mounted on racks attached to the floor. That is why I bought a cap that was 42 inches tall. (measured from the bed to the Inside top of the cap.) It keeps them clean and safe.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I had a 1966 24ft. Trailer many years ago, purchased a two bike carrier from Airstream, Jackson Center that fastened on both sides of the rear bumper frame and was made to swing out of the way when access was required to the back plumbing. Never had any problems and since it was purchased from Airstream I felt they had no issues with having it on the trailer either.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I'm certainly no expert on this, but from what I've read—and it makes sense—it's not the actual "dead" weight of objects attached to the rear bumper, but rather the increased power of that weight hammering up and down as you travel over bumps and dips...the object's "weight" is leveraged on the back end of the rig and the compounded force of it bouncing up and down becomes much more of an influence on the structure of the unit than it simple weight..and the longer the unit the more the force. Sort of like throwing an object off the roof of a house...when it hits the ground it has much more force behind it than its actual weight. My take is why risk it?

Yep,

As a retired mechanical engineer, I understand what is at play here! The thing I don't know of course is whether it is significant enough to cause any problems.

You are certainly right in that the simplest thing is to just avoid creating a situation that could cause the problem and it may well be that is what i will do.

Its just that the hitch on our trailer seems so damn solid when I stick a bike rack into it and pull up and down with all my weight - no noticeable deflection whatsoever.

So I did wonder if all these comments about potential damage may have referred to the much older trailers - I know they were of much lighter construction but I know nothing of the comparative frame strengths.

Also, since we are just changing for a new truck, I will now have to have a hitch receiver put on the new truck if we are to carry on what we have done in the past and carry our bikes that way - so you see the temptation
I face! The AS already has the hitch!

Carrying the bikes up front worked well, but it does block the lighting some, and for that reason may not technically be legal though I was never stopped for doing it after many trips back and forth to Arizona and Florida.

Thanks ........ Brian.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
While not exactly the same thing, a spare tire carrier was monted on the rear of my '64 Overlander in much the same way as many bicycle carriers mount. This carrier wasn't added until sometime in the early 1980s as the original owners were firm believers in not adding any surplus weight to the rear bumper. By 1997 (I purchased the coach in 1995), the Overlander had a bad case of rear separation with a repair cost approaching $3,000.00. Needless to say, the spare tire now rides in the tow vehicle; alothough I know that I could get by without a spare using the 3-tire "limp-home" feature.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

But again it makes me wonder if the problem exists as much
(maybe more?!) with the new trailers - I know that they weigh almost twice as much. Is all that extra weight just corian counters and oak, or is the frame also beefed up?

Did you ever consider putting your spare tire under the tongue the way it is done on my 05? Looks like a very simple arrangement and I was surprised how well it works when I dropped it to check the spare when we bought the trailer.

Brian.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Wingeezer
Somewhere here is a post about a new bike rake that mounts above the Propane tanks above the front window.Its mount as I recall originated from the A frame. If that hitch receiver is bolted or welded I cut it off with a angle grinder.
This summer I did see a 31 Limited, rear bedroom that the panels behind the rear axle had buckled and it had never had anything mounted to the rear of the frame. The strength is not there for mounting anything extra off the rear of the frame. On our long-bed 1 ton we have a cap,this carries our STUFF out of the weather and away from prying eyes. We carry a charcoal grill,floor jack, 1 spare tire for the truck(unmounted) trailer spare,air compressor,toolbox.lumber of changing a tire or leveling, 8 ft step ladder (which I have had to use) Two bikes and still have room.
Let your wallet be your guide.
GOOD LUCK
Roger

I did see that rack that goes over the propane tanks and have not discounted that as an option. I guess it would solve the problem - if there is one!

About the only negative thought I had when I saw it was that Airstreams look pretty nice when in tow coming down the road and that sure made for an ugly look! Also, although the bikes don't weigh much, the rack has to be fairly high due to the propane bottle container and it looked a bit awkward getting the bikes up & down.

I think rather than go that route, I would just get a hitch receiver put on the front of our new truck as I had on the old one. Cheaper solution too I think,
but does block the lights a bit - not a real problem for us as we rarely are towing in the dark.

We too use a cap on our pickup and find it extremely handy - no room for bikes in ours though because we have so much other junk we throw in there!

Our present truck - and the one we will buy are standard box trucks because we want a crew cab and it just makes the truck too unwieldy for us to use as a daily driver if we get the long box.

Also, I like the style of cap that just follows the cab roofline straight back so there wouldn't he the headroom needed. Sounds like it works well for you.

Brian.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
I had a 1966 24ft. Trailer many years ago, purchased a two bike carrier from Airstream, Jackson Center that fastened on both sides of the rear bumper frame and was made to swing out of the way when access was required to the back plumbing. Never had any problems and since it was purchased from Airstream I felt they had no issues with having it on the trailer either.
The guide on our tour of Jackson centre recently told us the same thing - no problem just with a couple of bikes, but I would be almost sure that if I wrote to Airstream, that is not the answer I would get. If memory serves me, I think maybe the manual that came with our trailer had a recommendation not to carry "heavy" loads hung off the back.

Brian.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #18

Rear Hitch Receiver

After reading the treads, I would keep the bikes inside (1st) and (2nd) keep them on the front of the truck. I have the same rig as you do 2000 AS 30 foot Excella. If I bring the bikes, I stick them in the truck under the shell. Those that mentioned the pressure going up and down on the hitch are correct. We had a fifth wheel and lost the two bikes when the weld broke. Think of whats going on at 50- 60 mph over some of those roads in AZ and you will be more comfprtable with the bikes inside or at least whewre you can see them.

Steve
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by skopp View Post
After reading the treads, I would keep the bikes inside (1st) and (2nd) keep them on the front of the truck. I have the same rig as you do 2000 AS 30 foot Excella. If I bring the bikes, I stick them in the truck under the shell. Those that mentioned the pressure going up and down on the hitch are correct. We had a fifth wheel and lost the two bikes when the weld broke. Think of whats going on at 50- 60 mph over some of those roads in AZ and you will be more comfprtable with the bikes inside or at least whewre you can see them.

Steve
Steve,

Thanks to you and all the others for valuable input. While as sort of expected, I have had answers both for and against, there seem more against that for the bikes on the rear and IO'm usually swayed by the preponderance of opinion!

I'm still not really convinced it will cause damage as it feels so solid, but I think I'll be ordering a front hitch receiver to mount on our new TV.

Also gives the advantage that if anything should happen and a bike come loose (although we always use cables & locks as well as bungees) it will be me who has the misfortune of running over them and not some other poor soul! And rightly so!

I really don't like the idea of putting the dirty old mtn bikes inside our nice new-to us AS! I'm sure I'd wind up scratching and damaging things, and also we like to use the inside of the trailer for meals/washrooms when travelling. No doubt carrying them inside works fine for others. Many years ago, we did carry a small Honda Passport scooter that way in a 20' Sprite
travel trailer. I had a little ramp to run it up inside.

Brian
Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Another option that you might consider is adapting a conventional bicycle mount to fit atop your weight distribution hitch. We did this on our 2005 AS 31 Classic. The weight is borne by the TV rather than the Airstream. An upright 2x2 shaft is attached to the hitch with removable clevis pins and the bike rack rides about 6" above the top of the rear bed of our Chevy 2500. We have been using this for 2 years with great results. You can leave the bikes on the rack after you have unhitched your AS so you can take them with you as you travel around. We found this great as we visit large cities where parking is a problem. We just take our bikes and ride from our remote parking spot.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote