Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Ratings of Springbars

I have a Reese set up which I've had for 20 years and I'm wondering how I can tell what rating the springbars are? I hear people saying that a trailer my size(23ft.) should have bars rated about 550 to 600lb. What is the difference sizes I could measure to determine my rating of my current spring bars?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I have a Reese set up which I've had for 20 years and I'm wondering how I can tell what rating the springbars are? I hear people saying that a trailer my size(23ft.) should have bars rated about 550 to 600lb. What is the difference sizes I could measure to determine my rating of my current spring bars?
The rating of the bars, are also dependent on the exact tow vehicle, that will be used, and it's spring rate.

Measure at the top of the square bar as it enters the "trunnion."

1 inch = 550 pounds.

1 1/8 inch = 750 pounds.

1 1/4 inch = 1000 pounds.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Andy!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Ok, Now after checking my spring bars I find out I have the 1000lb set up. I need to change over to a lighter set of spring bars. Looks like I need the 550lb set. I tow with a 1 ton pick up these days.
I tried calling Reese all day yesterday and only get a recording and it won't take a message, just says call back later. After calling back 35 time and hearing the same message I've had enough. Does anyone know if the older style spring bars are still made and where is a good place to call or visit online to order the same? A new set up would cost about $550 so I'm trying to just get the spring bars in the right size and save a few $.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ok, Now after checking my spring bars I find out I have the 1000lb set up. I need to change over to a lighter set of spring bars. Looks like I need the 550lb set. I tow with a 1 ton pick up these days.
I tried calling Reese all day yesterday and only get a recording and it won't take a message, just says call back later. After calling back 35 time and hearing the same message I've had enough. Does anyone know if the older style spring bars are still made and where is a good place to call or visit online to order the same? A new set up would cost about $550 so I'm trying to just get the spring bars in the right size and save a few $.
Please check your PM.

Andy
Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Bluto,

Try a trailer repair shop or independent hitch installer. Either of these might have lighter bars that you can purchase.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Bumping an old thread as I have a similar question. We have a relatively new Reese setup with 750 lb bars that doesn't seem to be shifting enough weight to the front axle on our Tahoe.

I also have the 25 year old WD hitch that we got with the trailer. It had been painted so I don't know the brand. Is it possible to measure how strong the bars are? I would need to have the head rewelded to sit higher, but if the bars are 1000 lb bars I would consider that as the whole thing sits at least 1" closer to the bumper.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeweloJalopy View Post
Bumping an old thread as I have a similar question. We have a relatively new Reese setup with 750 lb bars that doesn't seem to be shifting enough weight to the front axle on our Tahoe.

I also have the 25 year old WD hitch that we got with the trailer. It had been painted so I don't know the brand. Is it possible to measure how strong the bars are? I would need to have the head rewelded to sit higher, but if the bars are 1000 lb bars I would consider that as the whole thing sits at least 1" closer to the bumper.

Thanks!
Post a photo showing the hitch set up when it's ready for travel.

Truck scales are the best way to determine weight transfer.

Andy
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ian,

Could you post some pics.
I had no problem moving all the weight I wanted with my 30'er (900lb tongue weight) when I used my Reese with 800# bars. I wonder if you are using enough head tilt.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A used hitch may have been over-stressed at some point. It's a gamble no matter what "fixes" or changes are applied.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A used hitch may have been over-stressed at some point. It's a gamble no matter what "fixes" or changes are applied.
Used, most anything, has an unknown history.

When it comes to using "used" torsion bars, it's anyone's guess as to how they were treated.

Safety, dictates avoid used torsion bars.

The penalties may be greater than someone has bargained for.

Andy