Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question "Quality S' hitches?

More dumb questions from a not-quite-yet Airstream owner:

Has anybody used a "Quality S" brand weight distributing hitch? Problems, general opinions?

Will the flat bar trunion style Quality S hitch work with the Reese Dual cam system? Meaning, will the little cam goodies on the Reese setup bolt onto the ends of the Quality S bars?

Another, perhaps even dumeber question: What ball size does a 78 Tradewinds use?
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
"Quality S' hitches?

Greetings Drboyd!

Quote:
Will the flat bar trunion style Quality S hitch work with the Reese Dual cam system? Meaning, will the little cam goodies on the Reese setup bolt onto the ends of the Quality S bars?
I wouldn't count on the "Quality S" weight distributing bars being compatible with the Reese Dual Cam System saddles - - the saddles attach to the weight distributing bars with two bolts that are precisely spaced for the Reese weight distributing bars. It is possible that the Reese bars MIGHT work with the "Quality S" ball mount, but I would hesitate to assume that the Reese Dual Cam hardware would be compatible with "Quality S" weight distributing bars.

Quote:
Another, perhaps even dumeber question: What ball size does a 78 Tradewinds use?
The hitch ball size, unless a previous owner has modified the coupler, would be 2 5/16" on a '78 coach - - - even my 6 Metre '78 Argosy Minuet has the 2 5/16" coupler ball. These balls come in two or more shank sizes and multiple weight ratings - - you will want to be sure to purchase a ball with the proper shank size for your hitch (otherwise a bushing will be required if it is smaller than required - - if it is larger than required then it won't fit at all); and the ball will need to be rated for the weight of your coach when loaded for vacation (check for GVWR of coach for a good minimum starting point) - - I try to get a ball that is rated for at least 120% of the loaded coach's weight.

Quote:
Has anybody used a "Quality S" brand weight distributing hitch? Problems, general opinions?
While I can't claim to have had any experience with this brand hitch, I would suggest that you might want to carefully consider adopting a hitch that isn't backed by one of the major, well-known manufacturers. The basic hitch components once purchased can be tranferred from trailer to trailer - - so the modest extra cost of one of the major name brands can be spread over a number of years - - I am still using many of the Reese components that I purchased with my first travel trailer in 1980. With a major name brand you have the assurance that a manufacturer will likely be around in the future to supply reapair/replacement parts when they are needed in the future. The major name brand components are also apt to be much more available when on the road when a brand without nation-wide distribution might be unheard of in some parts of the country where you might travel.

Good luck with your decisions!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote