Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Before signing, I had the dealer agree to install any hitch I provided, no problem. I bought the Equalizer online & they installed it, no problem. If you've already taken delivery it's to late if not tell them you EXPECT them to install just like if you traded in a trailer & wanted the hitch transferred.

Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
First read the manual for the Equalizr and/or watch the video (both avail online.) Let the dealer install it included in the sale price, but go back for a tune-up once your trailer is fully loaded. Our dealer did a wonderful job for us this way with our first tow vehicle. For the final loaded tune up, tech came and road tested it with me--we tuned it with too much, then too little, then the Goldilocks just right setting.

When we got our new tow vehicle 5 years later, I didn't change the settings even though it was a one ton Sprinter instead of a 3/4 ton Suburban and the ball was about an inch higher, and it still felt fine. A year later, I got together with three friends who also had Equalizrs and we dropped the ball for a last fine tune so that the trailer is just slightly nose down, added a spacer washer and readjusted the L brackets to keep the same amount of WD/sway control. Already had the sockets and just bought a breaker bar at local Ace Hardware. Easy to do, and rig still rides great. I also checked in with the Equalizr tech who confirmed that many have gone to 6 spacer washers.

Because the Sprinter's rear end is so beefy, the 1200 lb tongue weight of our International 28' barely depresses the ball without WD, so the challenge was to get enough antisway friction without much WD. A bit of experimentation and we found the sweet spot. It is really easy to do now that I have the right tools.

I have a friend who had a very large, heavy non Airstream trailer who swore by his Hensley. But with an already heavy tongue weight (WAY over Airstream specs with an extra pair of batteries and full propane tanks) I can't imagine adding the extra 200 lbs. to the tongue. The Equalizr has served us well over six seasons and 36 months on the road. Maintenance is mminimal--I lubricate every so often at the threats friction points, and spiff it up with Rustoleum spray paint once a season.

gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Ask if they would match Amazon's price. Colonial Airstream said they would 2yrs. ago. Then have dealer install it. All parties will be win
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I just learned that Colonial Airstream stocks and installs ProPride hitches, I don't know if there are others. They are a good service dealer, this is the sort of choice an Airstream buyer should have.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #19
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Many of the torque values given by the manufacturers are well above the capabilities of the standard torque wrench's (Mine max's at 250 ft. lbs.)
You can use extensions and the 'formula' for use, but there is another way to tighten the bolts and stay within the capabilities of the wrench.

;You lubricate both the screw threads, and face of the nut with an extreme pressure lubricant such as ' Never Seize' or C-5 'Colloidal Copper (which I use) and reduce your torque by 40%. (Engine oil/20%, axle grease about 30%)
So a bolt that calls for 100 ft. lb. dry, would be torqued to 60 ft. lbs. to achieve the same tension. (tightness); and a 2 5/8" ball with a 1 1/4" shank that calls for 450 ft.lbs. will be torqued to 250 ft. lbs. (wrench's max.) 40% of 450=270 ft. lbs. Close enough.
For the perfectionist, a 'Johnson bar' can be used to go the extra 5 degrees.

for you Engineers out there; using the C-5 will reduce the friction factor from .18 (plated steel) to about .11.
For the rest of us hoi-poloi: only 10% of the applied torque is actually used to tension the fastener. the rest is to overcome friction; 50% in the threads, and 40% for the nut face.
Reduce the friction, reduce the torque to achieve the same tension.
Easy peasy eh?

(Former Premier Fastener Crop. agent, and retired Cdn. Aircraft Maintenance Engineer)

"Look after your equipment, it will look after you."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Doesn't the price of a trailer at a dealer include the price of the hitch?
Don't pay twice...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Only if it was written into the deal.

That is why some dealers recommend the one hitch over another, they get more profit. And most are clueless about the merits of any hitch of one over another let alone set them up properly.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote