Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
PullRite Hitch

Who here has experience with the PullRite hitch? The more I read about it the more interesting it becomes. Over the years I’ve towed various and sundry travel trailers (including the Airstream) with Reese hitches and have been entirely satisfied with their performance. Nevertheless, I’m attracted to the projected pivot point design of the Hensley and ProPride—the design and its towing benefits make obvious sense—but the mechanical complexity of those systems are problematic to my way of thinking (I’m a strong advocate of KISS, especially when traveling).

But the PullRite is different, right? It has an actual pivot point at the rear axle of the tow vehicle as opposed to the virtual ones of the Hensley and ProPride. Further, it has the mechanical simplicity of the Reese, which I like, combined with the towing benefits of a rear axle pivot point. What’s not to like about it?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You are correct. Only drawbacks I can see is weight (issue?) and I think with some TVs you have to relocate the spare tire.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Donreitz - what TV are you using? I ask because PullRite was actually my first choice (no offense, Sean :-) ) however, they don't make them anymore for my TV (2013 Chevy 2500 Duramax). The simplicity of it is really pure engineering genius and yes, it's pivot point is actually at the rear axle, not projected there. It's sort of a 5th wheel under the bed rather than in the bed of the truck....

I tried, but failed to talk them in to building one for me that would also served the current makes of GM models - I apparently wasn't compelling enough :-)

Search the forums for PullRite - there are some older threads from actual users who seem to love it!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Donreitz - what TV are you using? I ask because PullRite was actually my first choice (no offense, Sean :-) ) however, they don't make them anymore for my TV (2013 Chevy 2500 Duramax). The simplicity of it is really pure engineering genius and yes, it's pivot point is actually at the rear axle, not projected there. It's sort of a 5th wheel under the bed rather than in the bed of the truck....

I tried, but failed to talk them in to building one for me that would also served the current makes of GM models - I apparently wasn't compelling enough :-)

Search the forums for PullRite - there are some older threads from actual users who seem to love it!
X2

The biggest drawbacks with the PullRite very few TVs that they make them for and when you get a new TV you will probably need to buy a new hitch.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
The weight bars come in either 1000 or 2000 lb varieties. With the 1000 lb bars, the hitch is rated to handle 10,000 lbs. With the 2000 lb bars, it is rated to handle 20,000 lbs (and yes, the receiver changes from 2" to 2.5").

So, depending upon your Airstream and the weight bar you go with, you may find the ride to be too hard on your Airstream. It was for my 34' (front end separation), so I ended up changing hitches.

If it wasn't for that, I'd still be using it. Absolutely no sway at all, and in backing you can jackknife the Airstream 90 degrees... right beside your truck's rear axle. That came in real handy for some sites.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have only seen a PullRite on an Airstream once- in 1997 in Zion, IL- on an International Travell-all.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Looking at PullRite's fit chart I started to get Excited when I noticed they make one for Tundra, but- not for a new Tundra or anything else. 2008 or 2009 is the last year it is available for in any brand. It apparently is a good idea whose time has passed.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony
2008 or 2009 is the last year it is available for in any brand. It apparently is a good idea whose time has passed.
I think they're in to regular 5-wheel hitches these days. Apparently, trailers are the product whose time might be passing in favor of those monster SOBs...at least in terms of where PullRite sees its revenue opportunity :-)

From a business perspective, maybe they'd have had better luck trying to distribute through partnerships with manufacturers, being the hitch of choice pre-installed.

I think the fact that some installations required moving the spare or cutting and redistributing the exhaust contributed to the drop in demand too. I had several conversations with my Chevy dealer about warranty issues and ultimately got to the place where he would have needed a diagram of the process to review with the manufacturer to decide if they would still honor the warranty.

I still pursued it with PullRite and would have paid a high premium for their troubles. Even ran it by their president. No go. I'm mad at them. :-)

But VERY grateful to have the ProPride. The PullRite is easy to understand because you can physically see how it works. It wasn't until I saw that Lego model video of the ProPride that I FINALLY had a semi-decent understanding of it (no engineer here!) and it absolutely prevents sway as promised. Peace of mind there....
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Steve (or Sue?):
Like you, I tow with a 2500HD D/A, only mine is a 2006 model. Having found my model in the PullRite application chart (although the chart isn't a model of clarity), at the time I didn't look any further to notice that recent model years are completely absent. I suppose that's why we see so few of them in use. That's too bad since it would seem beneficial to have a travel trailer hitch with an actual, rather than virtual, rear axle pivot point.

Folks, thanks for the information. I'm going to pursue this.
Don
Old 06-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Keep us posted, Don! There is a great explanation and comparison here:

http://www.serenitysys.com/rv/techni...ite_hitch.html

Steve
(My wife is Sue and goes by YikesSue in the forum)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
And here's a link to a thread by users in this forum - back to 2004 I believe:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ned-11662.html
Old 06-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
And one last one (you might say I was really interested in getting the right hitch for my needs)

http://www.dnkk.com/Airstream/traile...mparisons.html
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Steve:
Thanks for the links. I appreciate the help.
Don
Old 06-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Comparing to the Hensley/ProPride design to PullRite or fifth wheel hitch points, there is no difference between "virtual" and "actual" pivot point in controlling sway. The Hensey/Propride is a newer design with features making PullRite somewhat obsolete.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Comparing to the Hensley/ProPride design to PullRite or fifth wheel hitch points, there is no difference between "virtual" and "actual" pivot point in controlling sway. The Hensey/Propride is a newer design with features making PullRite somewhat obsolete.

doug k
That might be another factor I hadn't thought of. The PP does put the pivot point forward with no loss of under-bed tire stowage or exhaust cutting and similar (at the time) price range - so the PP with its updated Hensley features probably put a dent in PullRite sales also...

As for obsolete - well, even Pulliam shows the origins of their design going back to horse and buggy days :-)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
I'd agree that in those situations where it's impractical to make a PullRite fit under a tow vehicle, a virtual rear axle pivot point hitch makes absolute sense. But in those cases where the PullRite works, then all else being equal, it's mechanical straightforwardness (i.e., actual rear axle pivot point) would trump the relative complexity of the Hensley and ProPride, at least to my way of thinking.

Thanks for the comments.
Don
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I have used a pullrite on my 2000 F250 crew to tow 29ft all over the U.S. with zero problems. Would highly recommend to anyone, only need a qulified installer, hard to find. Some times hitching up requires correct alignment but you learn how to do that.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I always liked the Pull-Rite hitch. If they were still manufactured I might consider one.
As it is, when I grow up I want a Pro-Pride- or at least a used Hensley-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Any update donreitz?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No more part numbers for the TT Pullrite. Appears to be out of production.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote