Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Pullrite Hitch

In my search to educate myself on the different kinds of wd hitches out there I came across the Pullrite Hitch. This looks like a whole different ball game,compared to the majority of hitches discussed here.
Has anyone here used one or know anything about them. I did notice that in the survey sometime back not one person that responded used one. Guess that should tell me something. Anyway, I did send for their propaganda, I mean sales lit.
I pulled horse and stock trailers for 30 years without any special hitch,but WHEN (hopefully sooner rather then later) we do get our AS, a special hitch will be needed.

Stan
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Back in the late '80's and early '90's, the Pull Rite Hitch was the hot set-up. It puts the pivot point above the axle, similar to a fifth wheel, rather than aft of the rear bumper. We'd all watch and marvel at how easy you could back up an Airstream with a Pull Rite hitch. At the 1995 International Rally, General Motors had reps from it's Milford Proving Grounds on site to get our reaction to GM moving the Suburban spare tire from inside to under the rear. People were horrified as this would make it impossible to have a Pull Rite without taking the spare tire off. Of course, GM ignored these concerns and put the spare under the rear of Suburbans. I think this effectively killed off the Pull Rite hitch or, at least, helped send it into history. The Hensley hitch then sealed it's fate.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I see where pull right is still in business. It is a pivot projection hitch like the Hensley Arrow and the Pro Pride both of which get very high ratings here on the forum

If you are looking into hitches these will be worth looking at. Depending on the size of your trailer and what type of tow vehicle you will be using and how much you will be willing to spend, there will be many options. There is a new hitch out there, the Anderson, which is also getting a lot of attention along with the tried and true Equalizer and Reese brands.

Everyone has their favorite so you will have a tough job ahead to decide. They all have their advantages. My only suggestion is to settle on one that has "built in" sway control. I have an Equalizer and have been very happy with it. I have never had a different brand so I can't be real objective here. Good luck in your research.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
A major draw back of the Pullrite is that it is vehicle specific.

If/when you get a new TV you would need to buy a new hitch, unless you get a used TV that your Pullrite will fit. The newest TV that is listed in fitment is a 2009 for the TT Pullrite.

Also they have a 1000lb tongue weight limit for the F150 which will limit your selection of Airstreams.(add 250-400 lbs to factory spec for real world tongue weight in most cases)
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
I ran a Pullrite for about a year and a half. We have a 34' Classic, so given the weight (overall and tongue weight) we went with the heavy duty model to stay within specs. We also tow with an '06 Ram 2500.

I absolutely loved the way it towed. It actually moves the pivot point to right behind the rear axle instead of projecting it like a Hensley or Propride does. So it tows just like a 5th wheel or gooseneck would (so it tracks differently than a bumper pull does), and I felt absolutely no sway at all.

Backing was even better. I could swing the trailer around to a 90 degree angle to the truck, literally sticking out sideways from the truck's rear wheel. This made it incredibly easy to get it into the spots I wanted.

Also, the model they make for the Ram allows you to keep the spare axle under the truck. It's, um... interesting... to get it in and out, but you could keep it there.

So, why don't I still use it? The combination of the heavy bars and the rough ride of the Ram was just too hard on my Airstream and was damaging the front of it. If it wasn't for this, I'd still be running the Pullrite.

I think that the Hensley and Propride are probably better choices now days as you can get bars rated for your Airstream, whereas Pullrite only has two selections (and they aren't interchangeable without getting into expensive custom orders as well).
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Speaking about DIFFERENT styles of hitch, some time ago ( years that is ) I remember seeing a hitch that was mounted to a pivot point forward of the rear bumper and it allowed the tow bar to swing left / right as the tow vehicle made turns. It has a rearward support that allowed the tow bar to swing supposedly to allow better trailer following when making turns. I have never seen one and no mention of it in many years. Just thinking could this be the Pullright style hitch ????? At the time I thought it might also make backing somewhat confusing and difficult. Maybe it had a lock mechanism to secure it straight.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The PR is still on my list as Hensley replacement (unless a PP is chosen). The PR website has plenty of information to read through. There are also threads on RV.net.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Speaking about DIFFERENT styles of hitch, some time ago ( years that is ) I remember seeing a hitch that was mounted to a pivot point forward of the rear bumper and it allowed the tow bar to swing left / right as the tow vehicle made turns. It has a rearward support that allowed the tow bar to swing supposedly to allow better trailer following when making turns. I have never seen one and no mention of it in many years. Just thinking could this be the Pullright style hitch ????? At the time I thought it might also make backing somewhat confusing and difficult. Maybe it had a lock mechanism to secure it straight.
Considering that is a decent description of a Pullrite and I have never heard of another hitch close to this description my guess would be yes.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote