Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
ProPride pros and cons

A few comments from a ProPride user. The hitch really does prevent trailer sway and eliminates white-knuckle moments when you get passed by a semi going 10+ mph faster than you in the next lane. Since you connect the trailer by inserting a square in cross-section "stinger" into a box shaped receiver, hitching and unhitching are different from using a ball-type hitch. First there is a fairly narrow angle off straight ahead within which you can hitch or unhitching. So, if you are in a fairly short, curved "pull-through" site (as we were once) you may not be able to disconnect without having one of the tension bars block the foot of the trailer hitch jack from descending. (At the same time, if you do manage to disconnect, you may not be able to position the stinger to go into the receiver.) Likewise, if the trailer and truck are not in the same plane (I.e. "Twisted" a bit) you will have a hard time reconnecting. That said, with a backup camera, hitching up is a one person job, even for a beginner. The key is to match the height of the receiver with the height of the stinger and adjust the receiver laterally so the stinger can go straight in. Also, make note of the height of the receiver above the ground when it matches the stinger's height. When unhitching, first release all of the tension on the WD bars, so they just flop around. Then, extend the trailer hitch jack until the receiver is the height above the ground that you measured in the previous step. This unloads the TV suspension so you can drive right out after you disconnect the clamps. This hitch is certainly expensive, but it does what it claims. Don't be discouraged by stories of difficulty hitching up. As newbies to this whole business, my wife and I have both hitched up on the first try. The only apparent downside to this hitch as compared to a ball hitch is a narrower angle of acceptance from center.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
DC,

I second your eval despite all the naysayers I'm sure that will jump in. Over 200,000 miles towing and I would not have any other hitch. Sean is a treasure if one has ???.

>>ron<<
Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good review. I would comment that you can easily connect the stinger and hitch head even though they are on a different plane (twisted relative to one another) by raising or lowering one of the screw jacks so the "twist" on the hitch head matches the "twist" on the stinger.

Also it helps when hitching to set the hitch head height a little lower (maybe 1/4") than stinger alignment. That allows the stinger to lift the hitch head slightly as it slides in, less likely to lock up before it's completely in place.

I also give the stinger and hitch head opening a shot of CorrosionX lube before hitching so things slide easily. And I took a file and just filed off a bit of the sharp edges at the end of the stinger so they are less likely to bind when hooking up.

We have never had any problem hitch/unhitching our ProPride. But don't waste time trying to slide the stinger and hitch head together if they are not perfectly aligned. Or disengaging the two unless all vertical lift is removed from the connection with the screw jacks.

One more lesson we have learned. When backing into a spot, pull straight forward a couple of feet to get tire twist and any sideways pressures off the connection before unhitching. Makes it disengage much easier.

Very easy hitch to use when alignments are ensured. The hitch head stays on the trailer so the only lifting is the stinger, which I just pull head a foot and slide it back into the head for temporary storage while in camp.

I also like the extra length of the assembly, it allows us to drop the truck's tailgate completely even when hitched up. And of course the effortless and comfortable towing experience in all wind and traffic conditions, no bow wave moving things when semi's pass, no sway ever.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
The only apparent downside to this hitch as compared to a ball hitch is a narrower angle of acceptance from center.
Cost
Weight
Logistics considerations when having trailer serviced
Additional difficulty and risk of damage when pulling trailer out of the mud with chains or cable
Reduced turning radius
Single source nationwide for service and repair parts
Reduced ground clearance compared to most other hitches
Incompatibility of tow dollies
History of stinger weld failures

I like mine overall, but they're not perfect.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
1 Cost
2 Weight
3 Logistics considerations when having trailer serviced
4 Additional difficulty and risk of damage when pulling trailer out of the mud with chains or cable
5 Reduced turning radius
6 Single source nationwide for service and repair parts
7 Reduced ground clearance compared to most other hitches
8 Incompatibility of tow dollies
9 History of stinger weld failures

I like mine overall, but they're not perfect.

I took the liberty of numbering your list to make these comments easier.

This is a good list of the cons of the PP.

Can you explain more about 4? I don't understand what you mean.

I disagree with 5 - I can nearly get the thing at 90* against my truck without crushing my tailgate.

On 9, I'm aware of 1. Are there more? A real history of failures say like Marathons?

Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm aware of 1 weld breaking.

The cost is a disadvantage to what, there is nothing to compare it to except a Hensley, which costs more.

It weighs only that much more than any other w.d. hitch, and that weight is distributed (divided) among four axles, which means it's really not very significant.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
. . . . . . The cost is a disadvantage to what, there is nothing to compare it to except a Hensley, which costs more.. . . . .
Okay it does cost more than an Anderson, BlueOx, Equalizer, Reese, . . . . .
But as many have discovered, you would have saved some money by buying it up front.

So with this logic the cost is a PRO.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I would say the cost is neutral, neither a con or a pro. Anderson, BlueOx, Equalizer, Reese these all have different designs. Some similar, some more advanced. I'd rather divide them into Good, Better and Best. With the ProPride on the end. And when you do that, the cost goes up across the board.

I wish I could find a place to sell and install one; then I'd get one.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Until someone or organization actully does a legitimate and unbiased test and review off all the WD systems currently on the market we will never know the true pluses or minuses of each system. Unfortunetly that is never going to happen because like here there are personal agendas that must be weeded out before the truth can ever surface. Repeating the same old arguments and urban myths will never make them true.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's not urban myth if one only posts of their own personal observations and experience.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Newbie here.

Wife is wanting an AS badly. I'll get a new pickup out of the deal.

I will most likely use a WD hitch. The TT she wants is a 25' FC; I will likely go with a 3/4 ton truck as the TV. We have zero towing experience.

Great thread for me, as I've been looking at Propride and the HA. These Propride WD hitches, are they generally available to AS dealers? It would be a plus if the dealer we bought the AS at could also install the hitch.

Rich
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Until someone or organization actully does a legitimate and unbiased test and review off all the WD systems currently on the market we will never know the true pluses or minuses of each system. Unfortunetly that is never going to happen because like here there are personal agendas that must be weeded out before the truth can ever surface. Repeating the same old arguments and urban myths will never make them true.
Michael I get the sense you don't like ProPride for some reason, would you mind sharing with us why?

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
With the ProPride or the Hensley, I would highly recommend that you do the installation yourself. Most dealers don't know what they are doing. I have had three Airstreams over the past ten years. The Airstream Dealer installed our Hensley on our 2005 25FB. He did it wrong. I had to reinstall it with help from Hensley. The same hitch has been on two more Airstreams. I installed it myself in the dealers' parking lots when I took delivery. It's easy to do and if you do it yourself, you know it is right.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I wish I could find a place to sell and install one; then I'd get one.
Find a place where you will be staying for a week or so and have one shipped. It's not rocket science to install one of these hitches. If you didn't want to fool with it any mechanic shop or rv dealer would gladly accept the work.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I agree with this. I am not here to flame any person or any hitch but I agree that everything I have read sounds like something parroted from a sales brochure. Are they different, absolutely. Are they good, I am sure that they are but when you look at say, the body of anecdotal evidence as presented by hundreds of posts, other hitches measure up very well.

This is a forum where people post opinions and this is what we get. I am with AWCHIEF and would really be interested in an unbiased study conducted by industry engineers. I don't have one simply because when I set up our Airstream I couldn't afford one. I have towed tens of thousands of miles with my set up and I can offer up lots of anecdotes about how well mine has performed. High winds, mountain passes up and down, passing semis and a panic lane change. By the logic of some posts this would make mine the best hitch out there. I don't think it is and that is why I would love to see AWCHIEF's suggestion come to pass.

Peace to all.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
...but I agree that everything I have read sounds like something parroted from a sales brochure...

...I have towed tens of thousands of miles with my set up and I can offer up lots of anecdotes about how well mine has performed. High winds, mountain passes up and down, passing semis and a panic lane change. By the logic of some posts this would make mine the best hitch out there...
Thank you for your post
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I just finished a 3500 mile trip with a recently installed Pro Pride. I can't praise the hitch enough. High winds, crazy curvy roads, speeding semis. Not an issue with the PP. Anecdotal evidence I know. But I also know that my old Equal-I-Zer is not going back on. No comparison in the towing experience.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Newbie here.

Wife is wanting an AS badly. I'll get a new pickup out of the deal.

I will most likely use a WD hitch. The TT she wants is a 25' FC; I will likely go with a 3/4 ton truck as the TV. We have zero towing experience.

Great thread for me, as I've been looking at Propride and the HA. These Propride WD hitches, are they generally available to AS dealers? It would be a plus if the dealer we bought the AS at could also install the hitch.

Rich

Depending upon your own 'mechanical ability", you CAN install the PP yourself. It is 'heavy'... but not 'hard'. Take careful measurements and set up the hitch...

After running ours, I made some 'tweaks' to the adjustments... guess what? I found I could better balance loads with those adjustments! This allowed me to 'balance' load across the 3 axles on our 34' AS and apply 'weight distribution' to the TV!

Next is 'handling' improvement... yes, you can tow by simply hooking up the AS to your TV... but, you will not be having any fun...

Been there, done that....

So, just go watch Youtube video for a simple, visual explanation of how it works... https://youtu.be/v2otJAgYiTo

There are other videos about towing and the benefits of other types/designs... take a few hours and poke around...

you will find your experience is YOUR experience... that's part of 'Streamin. Load up on intel... ask questions... apply that knowledge.. have fun!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
How heavy is a PP all told??? Is it really that much more than an equal-I-zer?
Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
How heavy is a PP all told??? Is it really that much more than an equal-I-zer?
Shipping weight of 230 pounds.